S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I drive my truck (2000 2.2l regular cab LS) i hear this rattling noise when i accelerate or just drive at a constant speed. It sounds like something rattling in an empty can do you guys think thats it could be my cat because I have 136,xxx miles on the original cat i also have a dynomax turbo muffler with about 4,000 miles on it. Could it be my muffler or my cat?

·
I'm on a boat!
1,522 Posts
Your truck will run bad if its the cat, and you'll have a serious loss of power. My truck makes a similar sounding noise (a cross between a rattle can and a ringing bell) from about 1500 to 1800 RPM's no matter if I'm moving or not, and no matter what gear. If anyone knows about this either hook me up.

Good luck with your problem.

·
I should have had a V8!
18 Posts
Be sure and check your universal joints as well. With that many miles that could be the sound you hear. I have 176k on a 96 and the first time I thought it was my cat heat shield or muffler....for 99blkx, check that heat shield to make sure it's tight and if you drive a standard, make sure it's not the throw-out bearing you hear.

·
I'm on a boat!
1,522 Posts
I don't think its the throwout bearing cuz it is a 5 speed, but it makes the noise in nuetral and every other gear. What do I do if it is the throwout bearing though??

Also, I have checked all the heat shields once, but they were tight.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is an automatic and I also have checked all of my heat sheilds and they all are ok.

·
I should have had a V8!
18 Posts
If it turns out to be the bearing, replacing it should fix the problem. However, you need to be very sure as it is quite involved to do it yourself and expensive to have someone do it. As a side not, while you have the transmission out, might as well replace the clutch...just saves work if you plan on keeping your truck for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts