S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I seen a few similar or related threads but circling back for some more up to date info as those threads are at least a decade old. 1998 4.3 ext cab 155000. I hear a rattling or maybe even a metal like tapping noise only when accelerating say above 25 mph or so. Does not do in idle whether in neutral or park. Have not really heard it as prominent while reving but will pay better attention to that next ride. Cannot really hear on highway above 60 but not sure if its just drowned out by highway noise. Doesnt do it when decelerating either. Just got it a week ago or so and the owner had documentation of an engine rebuild and he said the cat conv. Was replaced, not sure if that has any relation. Do not hear when reversing but obviously that isnt at high speed. Sorry for dragging on, just want to throw all the info i can as i know many of you on here have prob seen it all or close to it. Thanks, Ray .

·
Been there Done it
10,036 Posts
Start by checking all the heat shielding around the exhaust. They come loose over time and can rattle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for tips fellas ill look into both possibilities and report back any findings

1 - 4 of 4 Posts