S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a rattling problem coming from between my bed and my cab. I have a 98 S-10 LS Etx Cab if that helps any. Seems like it is coming from inside the little filter looking thing on the back of my cab. Can I remove this and replace it without having to buy anything? Can I remove it and just keep it off?

This problem just started happening. It never rattled before, now it sounds like I am driving a caddillac with subs (you know, alot of peoples caddies license plates rattle). It sounds like it :(. Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Its a ventilation duct, the flap is there to keep rain water from blowing around and getting into the cab. Lots of times if you have a system that will push a good amount of air it'll push that flap in and out and make it seem to rattle like mad. I've heard of people ripping the rubber off, but I wouldn't. My friend did it to my sister's car when I put her 12 in. About a week later her trunk carpet was soaked from the road spray coming through the 4x6" hole that was now behind it. A new piece of rubber later and it's all good. Seems weird, the new one doesn't make noise.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Its also to let pressure inside the cab escape..or else it could build up..and one day you slam your door shut..and bam..there go your windows..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I took it to a place a friend of mine told me about and they said the same thing. They said I could, however, possibly put some dynomat in there and it would help stop the ratteling. I plan on, eventually, cutting that whole area out so I can have 2 15's face into the cab from the bed. But until then, I will just keep my subs on a lower volume :). Thanx for the help though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually tyztoyz, he is right. Went to a local mechanic/customizer friend of mine and thats what he said. Now about it building pressure up and your windows braking due to it, I dont know, but it does let pressure out.

·
What next??
1,460 Posts
Yea...although i don't think it would blow out windows..just make it real hard to close a door..but house windows also have little vents for the same reasons..

The one on my truck no vibrating, but leaking..so i went and got silicon and ran it all around the sides and where ever i could reach..it seems pretty tight now.. may be an idea..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts