S-10 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only have problem when when pulling mountain, and over 2000 rpm, after 10 to 15 sec, check engine light flashes and lose power. Let off gas and after 3 to 5 sec, light goes off and power is back. If stay under 2000 rpm will pull mtn, 2004 s-10 crew 4x4. New ac delco plugs, wire, cap installed.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
367 Posts
sounds like you have one or two problems: 1) worn distributor gear and/or 2) clogged converter.

·
What's this do?
381 Posts
The mil is flashing because the PCM is detecting a condition that is damaging to your cat. I would avoid those conditions at all costs.

Do you have any other codes or information on what causes the misfires?

Generally when misfires occur under a heavy load they are caused by the ignition system, how old is your coil?

I would try to find some tests that could point to an ignition system issue rather than shooting for the cat right out of the gate. If you do suspect your cat, you can hook a vacuum gauge up to your engine and run the engine at 2500 RPMs for 2 minutes and check to see if your vacuum readings get worse over those 2 minutes. You should see a steady 15-21 Inches of HG at idle when warm.

As a side note, are you still running a CPMFI system? If so, I would consider cleaning the poppet nozzles also

If anything I ask has already been covered, I apologize, I'm sorta drunk...

cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts