S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm a huge ass
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have no idea what section this would go under, you can move it if you like.

but i was wondering about doing a ram air set up for my 01 X. sorta along the line of how some cars have air ducts ran through the front bumper to the intake. i was thinking some how running pvc piping from behind one of the fog light mounts up to my CAI. ive looked and i think it might take some cutting into my wheel well. has anyone ever done anything like tihs before? and any help to maybe how i would going about doing this. thanks in advance!

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
not worth the trouble, a normal k&n will be easier and possibly better. however if u had a ram air hood that would be different.

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
4.3Xtreme said:
i have no idea what section this would go under, you can move it if you like.

but i was wondering about doing a ram air set up for my 01 X. sorta along the line of how some cars have air ducts ran through the front bumper to the intake. i was thinking some how running pvc piping from behind one of the fog light mounts up to my CAI. ive looked and i think it might take some cutting into my wheel well. has anyone ever done anything like tihs before? and any help to maybe how i would going about doing this. thanks in advance!
I did something similar on my last truck. I ran a piece of exhaust pipe from behind the grille, to the air box. I can't remember how I ran the pipe. I have pics on my old computer, I'll see if I can dig them up and post them.

·
I'm a huge ass
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flamed 98 said:
I did something similar on my last truck. I ran a piece of exhaust pipe from behind the grille, to the air box. I can't remember how I ran the pipe. I have pics on my old computer, I'll see if I can dig them up and post them.
thats awesome
any help would be amazing!

·
pewter pimpin'
1,862 Posts
ive seen alot of friends do this with there imports
and to be honest it always looked like crap
might help with performance-

·
LOL NEON
1,456 Posts
DeMon76187 said:
My Engineering partner and I are doing a project jsut liek that, we may market the product.

we are useing pvc for our prototype.

i would assume that it would be fine to use as long as the pvc was not in contact with anythgin that gets hot under the hood.

i'll post with pleanty of pics(if i can figure out how to) in aobut 1 month.

For ram air to create functional boost you have to be pushing almost 80mph, which is great for highway driving, the problem is your creating a higher drag coefficent as you drive along if you use a hood scoop method. How are you going to reprogram the computer for the maximum gains from this product? Have you looked into PVC chemicals and heat tolerances? At home depot there is a plumbing product ment for higher temperatures, its black, i forget the name, but its basically preinsulated PVC ment for higher heat tolerances and is fine for under the hood use. Where is this ram air going to come from? Are you going to cut a hole in your hood and mount a scoop or what? the bigger the scoop the less speed required to compress the air. The higher the surface area the less forward force required to compress air to a certain PSI but also the larger the scoop the more ricer your dime will look IMO. Colder air temperatures equal up to 3mpg lost from this, your engine wont be tuned to compensate the increaded air load, and i personally doubt many people would be buying the product.

·
LOL NEON
1,456 Posts
There you go. If you use any sort of PVC sort under the hood make sure its ABS or there is a possibility chemicals can be released

·
I'm a huge ass
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, for me i was just going to make a home made set up coming from my Air dam from behind one of my fog lights on my Xtreme, just up to my CAI. nothing big or fancy just seeing if anyone else had done it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts