S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently wrecked my stock 98 s10 due to lack of weight in the rear end and the tires sliding out from underneath me. I've wanted to due some work on it for a while now so I figure now is the best time. I saw this video where this dude turned is Toyota Tacoma into a lowered rally truck and it got me thinking. I'm wondering if there is any way I could turn my truck into a mix of a rally car/street racing car. Where I could have it lowered and take turns however fast I'd like without killing the speed due to weight. I love the idea of a s10 that's fully modded out and fast as **** but I dont want to go just straight on a strip. I want to be able to be on the streets and race random fast cars that I see. Down below is the Tacoma I referred to. Let me know what kind of ideas you guys could have to help me out on this build

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,143 Posts
I think you'll have trouble on the street with it that low, and street racing is stupid.

·
time to get cereal
4,300 Posts
I highly doubt there's a scrap of stock frame left in those trucks. Lots of fab work, and zero suspension travel.

And you probably wrecked it because you don't know how to handle it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Terrible look for a street truck, granted some may like it and I respect that.

I have been racing trucks since the late 80s and learned early how to respect POWER my High School truck was a 1972 C10 with an Ls7 454 it ran high 11s, sold the shell and put the 454 in a camaro.
Then I had a 1985 Toyota truck 22rec 5spd w/ nitrous that ran 13.3 on a 100 shot. Then put a new 22rec in from LC engineering in it and that engine put out some great power especially on the bottle. sold it
Many s10s and syclones later various engine combinations and it all comes down to respect-ability-skill when it comes to driving some can and some cannot. At 50 years old now I have seen many destroy nice vehicles

·
Been there Done it
10,112 Posts
If you want to go racing this might interest you. It was entered in the 24 hours of Lemons. That is spelled correctly.
Note: it is on a race track not the street.

Many great Lemons entries roll into inspections completely out of the blue and catch the judicial panel completely off-guard and this may be the most incredible example of it. Looking like a GMC Sonoma with four feet chopped from the bed, the NAFM Racing “truck” is actually Pontiac-Fiero based, sporting the supercharged 3.8-liter V6 from a Buick Regal behind the driver and chopped-up GM truck bodywork. Just for kicks, the builders grafted on an Oldsmobile Bravada grille because once you’ve gone that far, why not raid the junkyard completely?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I highly doubt there's a scrap of stock frame left in those trucks. Lots of fab work, and zero suspension travel.

And you probably wrecked it because you don't know how to handle it.
I was only going 35 around the turn, which isnt very sharp. Granted it caught me off guard because I slowed down so I wouldn't slide but I still did and my father I who've been working on cars for years couldn't figure out any other reason other than lack of weight in the rear. I dont want to copy this truck exactly but I do like the kind of rally style it looks like. It got me thinking that since rally trucks are good forhandling, what would be the best direction to take my truck?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Terrible look for a street truck, granted some may like it and I respect that.

I have been racing trucks since the late 80s and learned early how to respect POWER my High School truck was a 1972 C10 with an Ls7 454 it ran high 11s, sold the shell and put the 454 in a camaro.
Then I had a 1985 Toyota truck 22rec 5spd w/ nitrous that ran 13.3 on a 100 shot. Then put a new 22rec in from LC engineering in it and that engine put out some great power especially on the bottle. sold it
Many s10s and syclones later various engine combinations and it all comes down to respect-ability-skill when it comes to driving some can and some cannot. At 50 years old now I have seen many destroy nice vehicles
Since you have the experience, the overall question I'm trying to ask is what would bethe best way to go in mixing the handling and speed of a street truck but with looks of a rally like the Tacoma? I just love that idea and it fits the wants of mine for my truck. It just looks like something that I've never seen and an eye catcher and that's where I start to really enjoy it and would love to do something like it with my s10

·
Been there Done it
10,112 Posts
Are you aware of the fact a custom build like the one pictured in the original post more than likely cost way north of $100,000 to build? You can buy some really nice cars including a 2020 Corvette for less.
Jay Leno once said the reason he plays with cars and trucks like that is because he has, his words "More money than brains".
The multi-national corporations that control the performance parts industry build show cars like that to get young people excited and buy lots of parts from them. They deduct the cost of building one off their taxes as advertising expense. TRD (Toyota Racing Development) probably contributed some money or at least some of parts to that build. Toyota is after all the 2nd largest auto maker in the world. They can afford it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Since you have the experience, the overall question I'm trying to ask is what would bethe best way to go in mixing the handling and speed of a street truck but with looks of a rally like the Tacoma? I just love that idea and it fits the wants of mine for my truck. It just looks like something that I've never seen and an eye catcher and that's where I start to really enjoy it and would love to do something like it with my s10
Seems to me the builder let the imagination go wild. Idea of RALLY and powerful drivetrain come to mind as well as a LOT of money.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Generally a very crafty imagination turns into one **** of a price tag

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Generally a very crafty imagination turns into one **** of a price tag
Unfortunately ain't that the truth. But I mean every s10 lover can admit, it would be awesome to see an s10 with a super unique look like that with amazing performance in both speed and handling. I just dont know what would be the best way to go about doing that

·
Been there Done it
10,112 Posts
Best way would be to ship your truck to Kindig it Design along with pics that you post above and a Certified Check for $100K and ask Dave to call you when it's done or he needs more money. Then sit back and wait a year or so.

Reactions: Rhotpursuit

·
Boozebag
9,469 Posts
Frankly, I prefer the low profile look (as in SLEEPER) that looks super clean, but handles and goes like a laser in the dark.
When you have a concept truck, there is a ton of expectation with the "look".
Nothing like seeing the surprise on a driver's face when they have their azz handed to them by a total sleeper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts