S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radio in my 2001 S10 is super quiet even with the volume knob cranked up. Do I need a new head unit or is it a wiring thing? It's the stock head unit.

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Most likely need a new radio. I would only suspect wiring if someone has messed with it. Personally I'd either go to a JY and get one exactly the same or look on ebay.

Aftermarket radios are all single din and look cheap when installed even with the correct plastic mounting kits.
You could upgrade to a 2002-1/2 or later double din but finding a GM radio that'll work can be tricky because a few years later they went with a different security system and the radio has to be vin matched to the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely need a new radio. I would only suspect wiring if someone has messed with it. Personally I'd either go to a JY and get one exactly the same or look on ebay.

Aftermarket radios are all single din and look cheap when installed even with the correct plastic mounting kits.
You could upgrade to a 2002-1/2 or later double din but finding a GM radio that'll work can be tricky because a few years later they went with a different security system and the radio has to be vin matched to the car.
See, I was also told bad speaker connection or bad ground. I bought the truck with nearly no knowledge of it. Just that it ran and drove, and the gas gauge was busted and the air was iffy. It was from a friend and I needed something. And it does run good, and drives good, just minor issues. I wanted to remove the rear seats and replace with probably dual 10" or 12" subs, but I need an aftermarket head unit for them to sound good. Are there any aftermarket head units and/or speakers you would recommend?

·
Been there Done it
12,468 Posts
Sorry I didn't realize you were planning to upgrade the entire sound system. Is this a 4 door that you want to turn the back seat area into a bumpin stereo that you can feel in your heart and other places?
I'm sure one of the mods can move your question to the sound and security section for similarly minded folks to answer.
At my age it's not a popular project. I'm from the generation called the boomers because of the increase in population after WWII. Today it's our grandchildren who are the "boomers".
Back in the day we didn't have all of that sound equipment available. To us FM and "reverb" were hi tech. We ruined our hearing with cherry bomb mufflers.

Reactions: Rhotpursuit

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,349 Posts
There's a big bunch of truth there... 😂 😂 😂

BTW...moved to Sound/Security.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts