S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1998 S10 LS extended cab. Since the radio is neither single or double DIN, I want to get an OEM radio from the junkyard. Would the radio from a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 use the same wiring harness as the S10?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,347 Posts
Moved to Sound/Security

·
Been there Done it
12,461 Posts
Gm made a lot of changes around 2003 to it's truck radio line. One of the major changes was to prevent theft by pairing the radio to the vin and PCM. They can be reprogrammed or you can buy ones reset to pair upon installation. They are also connected to the PCM with some data lines.

For a 98 you'll probably be better off with an after market radio or one from a later S10. Double din is possible with the right kit or Bravada or 03-04 S10 or Blazer parts.
Just be sure any used radio you buy is unlocked.

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,339 Posts
Here is a shallow body double din radio with the metra install kit. This is in a 2001, but it will be the exact same dash as a 1998 to 2002.

Car Steering wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle audio Steering part

GM liked to use din and a half radios for the longest time, and if you are wanting to use a single DIN radio, there are a few different kits out there, I prefer the Metra kit with the little cubby underneath.

·
Been there Done it
12,461 Posts
Do they not sell dash/install kits for single and double din radios? Pretty sure they do.
Yes they do sell kits for 2 din, but some guys like the factory look which using Bravada or 2002-1/2 up GM parts can provide.
Note the shiny smooth trim ring in the pic above. On my late 02 everything matches. Harley seems to be able to find the parts for a factory looking swap. Those double din dash panels are getting hard to come by. eBay folks are asking $250 up for them.

·
time to get cereal
5,651 Posts
Trying to figure out why the picture posted is of a 1.5 DIN radio. Wouldn't it make more sense to use a picture of what you are actually talking about?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gm made a lot of changes around 2003 to it's truck radio line. One of the major changes was to prevent theft by pairing the radio to the vin and PCM. They can be reprogrammed or you can buy ones reset to pair upon installation. They are also connected to the PCM with some data lines.

For a 98 you'll probably be better off with an after market radio or one from a later S10. Double din is possible with the right kit or Bravada or 03-04 S10 or Blazer parts.
Just be sure any used radio you buy is unlocked.

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,339 Posts
i have 2004 and im doing same, where do i find correct equip?
is there a way to bypass by swapping pinouts?
If you are putting a factory radio from another rig in the truck then there is a way to unlock it and have it tied to your truck, there are a few videos and how-tos out there on how to do it.

If you are looking to put an aftermarket radio in I believe all you are going to need is an installation kit with the mounts (mine do not come off my Delco radio) and the adapter harness. I know on the full size in this year they require an interface module that will talk to the CAN Bus to let the truck know there is a radio, and also to give you your door and key chimes. (they play through the radio). I do not know if GM put this into the S10s in 03/04, or if they just left well enough alone as the truck was being dropped from the lineup anyway.

·
time to get cereal
5,651 Posts
2002.5+ S10s have the double DIN RDS radio with the chime through the speakers.

·
Been there Done it
12,461 Posts
Wouldn't it make more sense to show a picture of what you are talking about?
It's actually fairly hard to find a pic of a stock one. Google has all kinds of modded ones.
I suppose I could go out and take a pic of my 2002-1/2 CC that has it, but it's 20° right now.
From You tube:

Point I was trying to make is that the factory setup does not have a shiny trim ring around it. That matches nothing on the dash. I think those adapter kits look as out of place as the single din ones that stick out 2 inches.

·
time to get cereal
5,651 Posts
Look up 1998 Bravada interior... you'll see plenty of 2 DINs that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts