S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone tired of paying to much for a v8 radiator for an s10???? i know the becool radiators are kinda expensive.
so there is a place in michigan, its called superior radiator that makes custom radiators for the s series. they range in price, but i always buy the 4 core for $235. they are good radiators, ive bought 4 of them, all because of unfortunate circumstances with pulley fans, or other cars. there number is (810) 463-8722

·
Registered
19 Posts
What about a Modine. They come with a lifetime warranty and are affordable. I'm using a #2051 and haven't had any cooling problems. I believe it was a little over $150.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Coolin it

I got mine out of an old camaro and had a new net put in.I have also used the aluminum radiators out of the 86 corvette.Theres no need to spend so much money on them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I might have to check Modine out for my other conversions. I have a friend that works there and it is only about 6 miles from my house!! They give killer deals to local people. Have you been completely happy with yours, Chevysam?

And SS, does your place put aluminum end tanks on? Do they look similar to the Be Cool or even the Griffins? Can they put the 90 degree neck on so I can tuck the radiator and still access the filler?

Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IF YOU RUN A/C, THEN IT MIGHT BE A PROBLEM. MY 4 CORE TAKES UP ALL THE ROOM. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO CUT THE RADIATOR SUPPORT TO FIT A/C IN. BUT ANYWAY, THE RADIATOR IS FLUSH WITH THE RADIATOR SUPPORT AND THE NECK IS STILL POSITIONED FOR EASY USE. THE SIDE TANKS ARE MADE OF COPPER I BELEIVE. THE RADIATOR ITSELF IS NOT THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING, BUT ALL IT NEEDS IS A "KRYLON" TOUCH.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No complaints at all. With a 160 thermostat I never see anything higher than 175. even during Louisiana summer heat and traffic. That's with an A/C condensor sitting in front of it too.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WHAT KIND OF COOLING FANS ARE YOU USING? WHAT WATER PUMP, AND ANYTHING ELSE? I HAVE THE 160 AND I USUALLY SIT AT 180 AND DRIVING HARD 200 PLUS. DO YOU HAVE A TRANNY COOLER, OIL COOLER?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MODINE COMPANY

EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT MODINE. I WENT TO THEIR WEBSITE AND FOUND OUT ALMOST ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THEIR PRODUCTS. ANYONE KNOW OF A BETTER WAY I CAN GET AHOLD OF A ORDER MAGAZINE WITH A LIST OF COOLING PRODUCTS?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm using stock electric 95 camaro fans. Programmed to go on high speed at 175.
No oil cooler.
In radiator trans. cooler, external on its way.
Mezeire heavy duty electric water pump. They claim it flows more water than the stock pump up to 2500rpm. It does seem to work better at idle than the stock pump. Not that I had an overheating problem before, the fans don't go to high speed as often. I haven't had it on very long, so not sure how it's going to work in the long run.
My radiator came from NAPA, but I'm sure their are better prices online. carparts.com or someone like that. The guys at NAPA go out of their way to help me, so I don't mind paying a little extra. If you have a NAPA near by, ask to take a look at their Modine catalog. That's where I found most of my info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just wanted to throw in that Modine radiators are not some miracle radiator. A good radiator is only one reason I believe I don't have a cooling problem. They are thin yet efficient which allows more clearance that V8 S10s seem to lack.
I also have a fan shroud on the back side of the radiator. It completely covers the radiator exept for 2 reliefs approx. 3" X 6". Take a look at a stock 93+ camaro fan shroud. They even have rubber flaps that act something like reed valve to keep hot engine bay air from being sucked through.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PICTURES?

HEY CHEVY SAM, HAVE ANY PICS OF YOUR ENGINE COMPARTMENT????? AND ALSO A CLOSE UP OF THE RADIATOR AREA?

·
Registered
745 Posts
How long

have you been running that electric water pump??Do you know the life expectancy of lt?,While we are on electric stuff,I have gotten my hands on an electric power steering pump from a new opel and intend to take out my manual pump and hook it up.I think it will give me 20 hp on the top side,I will mount it in the bed,and run long hoses to the steering box.It has a 2 speed motor and a sensor reacts to fluid pressure when you turn the wheels and speeds the pump up making more pressure to turn easier.If this works like I think it will ,I will let yall know what it costs and where to grt them.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Griffin!

after taking several measurements i am going with a Griffin Double core Ultra Cool. This rad. is sized to fit under the metal that supports the hood (everyone knows the lip i'm talking about) and can be purchased for all sized and specs from your local Speedway Shop, or the Speedway Catalog! price new is around $188 and it's ALL Aluminum!

something to think about!
chris<pixelmonkey>

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
hey sham

what kind of fans are you running w/ the lt1 and ac? I have a 97 w. the 4.3 that I am getting ready to do a lt1 install and right now am running a taurus fan that is working extremely well. Truck only heats up when idling, have adjustable thermo hooked to it w/ 160 stat and fan cools truck off in less then 30 secs most the time, you think this would hold up to the lt1?

thanks,

jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts