S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Workin' hard lookin' good
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just found lying next to my Sonoma a rubber donut marked 14032743, which is a rubber cushion that goes under the radiator support. I haven't had a chance to look under the truck because we have a lot of snow on the ground, but I'm assuming that the nut under this came loose, or the bolt rusted through. Can someone tell me how hard it's going to be to replace this, and if I need to remove other parts to get at it or if I can just slip everything in? Also, I see that Dorman sells a kit that seems to consist of all the parts that go with this, anyone have any experience with that? Thanks!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,646 Posts
Shouldn't be hard at all. I'd get a pair and do them both, along with new hardware. You'll have to pull the grill.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
if it fell out, there will be an issue. i bet rust. But, use a mirror and a flashlight, open hood, shine light at bottom of radiator use mirror to see what side is missing. From there you'll be able to determine why it came off. Super easy to put back in, undue the 10mm bolts at top of radator, lift it with your hand, and inert rubber under radiator. But, there has to be an issue why it came out.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,646 Posts
Being in New England+snow=salt=rust.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I do not believe everyone is discussing the same part. The part number mentioned by the OP is a “Radiator Support Cushion”, not a body mount. If it fell out I suspect the core support is rotted away where the mount is retained. There is not much sheet metal there to start with . However, I used Dorman 924-424 as a cheaper alternative to OEM on a vehicle I am prepping to be my next daily driver. Quality seemed fine.

·
Been there Done it
10,495 Posts
Actually the cheapest alternative is to throw a couple in your tool box when at pic and pull. Same quality as the ones you're replacing.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for everyone's input. The Dorman kits weren't in stock around here so I had to order them, they'll be here in a day or two and I will take things apart then. But it looks as if the core support itself isn't rusted at the bottom to any significant extent.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The part I found is the donut that goes below the frame and just above the cupped plate at the bottom of the mount. I took off the snow plow so I could get a look underneath at the radiator support mounts, and both mounts and donuts are there. I know that the same part is used in the body mounts on the sides of the cab so I checked and on the rearmost one of the three on the driver's side (it's an extended cab) the cupped plate is rusted off so that's where the donut fell off. Looks straightforward to replace, if I decide to replace the upper rubber part too while I'm in there, how much harder is that? Do I need to loosen the other mounts on that side and jack up the body a little so I can slip it in, or will it slide out without needing to do that? Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think I screwed this up. I apologize. The part # you mentioned does appear to be for the body mounts, and I believe the lower pieces are identical for all locations. I apologize. I do not have time now. However, if you are not squared away tonight, I will explain how I handled the body mounts on my 96 Sonoma reg cab.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
However, if you are not squared away tonight, I will explain how I handled the body mounts on my 96 Sonoma reg cab.
Particularly interested in hearing how you got the bolts out without breaking them. These bolts seem as if they're going to need daily treatment with penetrant for a few days before they move (my favorite is that old-school mechanics' favorite ACDelco Heat Valve Lubricant, though it's probably the most expensive stuff out there)

·
time to get cereal
4,575 Posts
PB Blaster + Pneumatic Impact + MAPP gas (if necessary).

Reactions: dnyce

·
Registered
105 Posts
IIRC, I used my Dewalt 20V ½” impact wrench and penetrating fluid. I cannot remember how difficult the bolts were to remove, but I do not believe it took very long to get everything removed. Fwd/Bwd repeatedly probably.

Since I was prepping the frame for painting, I blocked the cab up from the ground a few inches above the frame. I needed to disconnect the steering column from the dash support. I do not suggest you disconnect both sides at the same time. I had to manhandle the cab back into position when reinstalling. I think the general recommendation is to loosen the bolts on Side A and remove them on Side B. Then Side B gets jacked up at the pinch weld using a 2x4 to distribute the force and prevent sheet metal damage. I do not know what to do if the rockers are rotted. For location front-to-rear, just guess where the balance point is. After Side B is complete, sort of repeat for Side A, leaving Side B bolts & nuts loose.

My 96 Sonoma regular cab has 6 – body mounts. I believe the lower washer is GM 15688319 Retainer, Body bolt lower cushion. The lower cushion was GM 14032743, as you indicated. Those 2 – parts are identical for all 6 – locations. However, IIRC, the upper cushion pairs were different for all 3 – pairs of locations. The upper metal cups at the rear 2 – pairs of locations were identical. The front pair was smaller. All the upper cushions have a steel insert. My lower cushions seemed fine. However, the middle pair of upper cushions were badly rust-jacked. The rear pair was rust-jacked also, but not as bad. Dorman offers complete replacement mounts, but they are silly expensive. Since I could reuse my retainers and cups, I just replaced some of the bolts and all bushings with a Prothane 7-115-BL kit. Those are polyurethane, but I would have preferred OEM-style rubber had they been cheaper to source. My front bolts & nuts were ok. However, I think I replaced 3 – of the 4 rear bolts with “5 PCS M12-1.75x90 MM Metric Hex Flange Bolts Grade 10.9 Screws Phos & Oil” from TheBoltBarn on ebay. I think the price is way up now, though. Full disclosure, I still have not torqued those bolts, so I am not 100% certain the thread length is ok.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IIRC, I used my Dewalt 20V ½” impact wrench and penetrating fluid. I cannot remember how difficult the bolts were to remove, but I do not believe it took very long to get everything removed. Fwd/Bwd repeatedly probably.

Since I was prepping the frame for painting, I blocked the cab up from the ground a few inches above the frame. I needed to disconnect the steering column from the dash support. I do not suggest you disconnect both sides at the same time. I had to manhandle the cab back into position when reinstalling. I think the general recommendation is to loosen the bolts on Side A and remove them on Side B. Then Side B gets jacked up at the pinch weld using a 2x4 to distribute the force and prevent sheet metal damage. I do not know what to do if the rockers are rotted. For location front-to-rear, just guess where the balance point is. After Side B is complete, sort of repeat for Side A, leaving Side B bolts & nuts loose.

My 96 Sonoma regular cab has 6 – body mounts. I believe the lower washer is GM 15688319 Retainer, Body bolt lower cushion. The lower cushion was GM 14032743, as you indicated. Those 2 – parts are identical for all 6 – locations. However, IIRC, the upper cushion pairs were different for all 3 – pairs of locations. The upper metal cups at the rear 2 – pairs of locations were identical. The front pair was smaller. All the upper cushions have a steel insert. My lower cushions seemed fine. However, the middle pair of upper cushions were badly rust-jacked. The rear pair was rust-jacked also, but not as bad. Dorman offers complete replacement mounts, but they are silly expensive. Since I could reuse my retainers and cups, I just replaced some of the bolts and all bushings with a Prothane 7-115-BL kit. Those are polyurethane, but I would have preferred OEM-style rubber had they been cheaper to source. My front bolts & nuts were ok. However, I think I replaced 3 – of the 4 rear bolts with “5 PCS M12-1.75x90 MM Metric Hex Flange Bolts Grade 10.9 Screws Phos & Oil” from TheBoltBarn on ebay. I think the price is way up now, though. Full disclosure, I still have not torqued those bolts, so I am not 100% certain the thread length is ok.
Thanks for a very thoughtful and detailed write-up!

·
Registered
105 Posts
One important caution I neglected to mention, though it is a given for many. Do not stick any part of your body between potential pinch points without sufficient safety blocking.

Also, I was referencing my memory when typing my novel. Hopefully I did not make any more mistakes.

If by any chance you find a source for new, individual, upper “cups” of either size, please share with the rest of us. I am not aware new pieces are available except as part of the Dorman kits. Some of mine were quite rough on the surface contacting the cushion. Because of the shape, I found it difficult using different power tools and attachments to smooth them out. Did not want them ripping up my new cushions. Thank you.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only place I've seen the upper cups is also as part of the Dorman kits, unfortunately. As for pinch points, I mostly wrench on agricultural equipment where there are big castings that weigh hundreds of pounds, so I'm quite familiar with the concept of avoiding them unless they're really well supported and secured.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts