S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im building a turbo ls2 s10 and it may be necessary for me to relocate the radiator into the bed, i was wondering if anyone has done this and if you had pics it would be great.

this is a pic of the lingenfelter sonoma which has a radiator in the bed

·
Registered
647 Posts
I can't imagine you will get enough air flow on the highway, why can't you put it in the front? Several people on here have an lsx with a turbo and a front mounted radiator.

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
I looked into this when i first started my build but decided against it. Also the tonneau cover wasn't a problem in the lingenfelter sonoma because they cut out a section of the floor in the bed and put wire mesh in there to help remove the hot air from inside the bed.

I would look into using an A/W (air to water) intercooler instead of a front mount A/A (air to air) if thats the reason you need to move the radiator. The A/W intercoolers are more efficient than the A/A because water has a higher specific heat and can absorb more BTU's

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
even with the radiator recessed into the core support?
the intercooler i want will take up a majority of the space in the rad support+ 2 electric fans ill be running behind the i/c. it will be close

·
Super Moderator
3,878 Posts
As long as you have a "great" set of fans and a consistent power supply, a bed mounted radiator won't be a problem. The Lingenfelter truck is a good model. The bed was cut out for air intake.

I'd also use an electric booster pump on your water circuit.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would look into using an A/W (air to water) intercooler instead of a front mount A/A (air to air) if thats the reason you need to move the radiator. The A/W intercoolers are more efficient than the A/A because water has a higher specific heat and can absorb more BTU's
Excellent idea, If I was to do mine over, that is the route I'd go.

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
id actually prefer to use an a/a, nothing to leak and cause huge messes to clean up and or crashes if it decides to spew at the track.lol
Drag racing is an even bigger reason to want to use an A/W. You'll regret using the A/A when your IATs start creeping on you at the tree. Don't you live up here near me somewhere like Inman or Greer? I doubt you will see the A/A lower your IATs enough by the end of the 1/8 mile tracks around here. Just some food for thought.

·
Bowtie Til I Die
2,341 Posts
i was thinking about installing 1 or 2 fans in front of the I/C for that reason. ive seen it done before....somewhere.
try and get some puller fans then. It will be hard for them to push enough air through a thick core like that

·
Registered
1 Posts
im building a turbo ls2 s10 and it may be necessary for me to relocate the radiator into the bed, i was wondering if anyone has done this and if you had pics it would be great.

this is a pic of the lingenfelter sonoma which has a radiator in the bed
How did you route your lines?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.