S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm rebuilding my 350 and I was removing the radiator and I had some brown sludge in the goose neck. I then drained the fluid and it was green like normal then as it started to get empty started spitting out dark fluid and by the end it was very brown. I removed the hoses from the engine and rad and there was brown all around the ends. Anyone know what could be causing this? I think it's oil mixing with it but maybe you guys know what it is and where it's coming from.. thanks!

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Signs of a blown head gasket but also. Have you mixed any orange and green coolant itll also cause that effect.
That's what I was thinking but wanted some others opinions..

nope, I added Royal Purple Purple Ice though, I highly doubt that's a problem..

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
hook a garden hose up to the upper intake hose and flush the entire block out, repeat the same for the radiator. Reconnect everything together, refill with fresh coolent and run the truck for a while. If you get the same sludge in a few weeks, you know theres a blown gasket somewhere.

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
was the brown sludge kinda jello-y and greasy, and did it float on top of the green coolant? if it does its more than likely oil from a blown gasket somewhere.... if the brown and green easily mix together then its likely not oil and probably just old rusty coolant

if it is oil, it can be tricky to get it out of the coolant system, it will take multiple flushings... you need to blast as much as you can out with the hose, then fill it with just water, bring it up to temp, then dump it out, repeat

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hook a garden hose up to the upper intake hose and flush the entire block out, repeat the same for the radiator. Reconnect everything together, refill with fresh coolent and run the truck for a while. If you get the same sludge in a few weeks, you know theres a blown gasket somewhere.
Well I'm rebuilding the engine, it's being pulled soon. I just wanted to know the reason so I could make sure to fix it when I rebuild it.. and is a garden hose good to flush out a rad? I was gonna take it somwhere to do it.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
flushing with a hose will get the big chunks out, but well if your pulling everything out anyways, then id have the radiator cooked and pressure tested that way you know its completely clean and sealed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i got a 355 in my 99 and it did the samething you need to run more ani freeze than water its called electrolises cause the block is iron and the rad is aluminum just flush ot super good and run strait anifreeze -dyland-

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I can vouch for the mixing the dex cool with regular antifreeze together, my dads car had this happen before by a person that would like to remain annoymous

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
i got a 355 in my 99 and it did the samething you need to run more ani freeze than water its called electrolises cause the block is iron and the rad is aluminum just flush ot super good and run strait anifreeze -dyland-
lol

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
I have a 355 in my 99 and it did the same thing. You need to run more anti-freeze than water. It's a chemical reaction called electrolysis because the block is iron and the radiator is aluminum. Just flush the system really good and run straight anit-freeze -dyland-
Fixed a few things for you, it's no where gramatically correct; as I don't give a shit. :p

straight anti-freeze? :rolleyes:

By the way, electrolysis of water is a chemical reaction that is caused by electricity. It's the decomposition of water due to an electric current.

In chemistry and manufacturing, electrolysis (from the Greek λύσις [lýsis] "to separate" and ἤλεκτρον [ɛː́lektron] "amber") is a method of using a direct electric current (DC) to drive an otherwise non-spontaneous chemical reaction. Electrolysis is commercially highly important as a stage in the separation of elements from naturally occurring sources such as ores using an electrolytic cell.

OP: Hopefully you just need a good flush, my truck needed one after 12 years, and it was brown like mud. But that was from the rust coloration, the stop leak that was put in it, and old age. It had the green antifreeze as well.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP: Hopefully you just need a good flush, my truck needed one after 12 years, and it was brown like mud. But that was from the rust coloration, the stop leak that was put in it, and old age. It had the green antifreeze as well.
Well, I've only been driving it for 2 years since the swap..

·
Registered
6 Posts
get over it, it isnt a blown head gasket. One of the BIG signs of that is coolant loss and or bubbles that you can see with the cap off..and I mean bubbles. That clay like sludge is from mixing something with the GM dixcool antifreeze. Yes, a garden hose will flush the radit. but not good enough to flush the rest of the system.the FIRST time. Some forms of stop leak will cause that to happen as well as other forms of certian additives. Have fun.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
get over it, it isnt a blown head gasket. One of the BIG signs of that is coolant loss and or bubbles that you can see with the cap off..and I mean bubbles. That clay like sludge is from mixing something with the GM dixcool antifreeze. Yes, a garden hose will flush the radit. but not good enough to flush the rest of the system.the FIRST time. Some forms of stop leak will cause that to happen as well as other forms of certian additives. Have fun.
WTF? get over it? :haha:
OK johnny Tuffnuts.

and I didn't use GM dixcool antifreeze anyways..

·
Tundra *******
197 Posts
haha obviously this guy doesn't have much XP with blown gaskets...maybe he's the one who needs to get over it. depending on the engine and the location of the leak, you might get bubbles and all that, my caddy fleetwood's 4.1V8 did that, however my 2.8 all it did was suck the coolant out the tailpipe, no oil in it and no bubbles just a mad loss of power. also i think he kinda forgot one thing, its oil he saw in his coolant not carbon deposits, so it didn't necessarily leak at the combustion chamber. although that brings to mind another thing, could it be your intake? I had a bad prob with that before, until i figured i just had to coat the sucker with adhesive, then never had that prob again.

·
Open mouth, Insert foot!
312 Posts
Most likely it's the water you filled the rad with. You probably have alot of iron in your water, take that and rusty internal coolant passageways in the block and shit turns brown.

Taking your truck to have a coolant Back-flush is an option. As long as the tech knows what he's doing and hooks up the air line. If not, he's just using the flush machine with about the same pressure as your garden hose. Therefore, wasting your money.

Prestone makes a flush kit and a cooling system cleaner, I've had pretty decent luck with it. It's about 5 bucks and seems to work pretty well. I take the kit and add an airhose from my air compressor. It makes a mess in the driveway and dumps antifreeze on the ground (keep the pets away) but it works and it's cheap!

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is this an auto tranny? Could the problem be a cracked trans cooler in the radiator mixing water and trans fluid?
manual z28 tranny.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts