S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok for a while now ive noticed that no matter what radiator cap i try the overflow hose is free to let coolant out even when the truck is cold.

i dont understand whats going on here.

new ones used ones, 16psi 15psi locking ones non locking ones, i mean wow.. it dont matter what i try the damn thing just lets coolant out the hose freely, cold or hot.

anyone know what the heck is going on

ive never come across this problem before and ive been on a billions vehicles since i was like 13 and own a shop and still never seen this happen.

its like the radiator cap neck is too deep tall for any cap to seat in the lower part beolw the overflow hose hole

i dont get it..

thanks

·
A Dime in Deutschland
533 Posts
Perhaps your Head gaskets are bad, so the pressure in the coolant system ist too high. It could be also when it is cold, because the high pressure came from the emissions out of the cylinder directly into your coolant system.
Try it:
Press one radiator hose together, then let a second person start the engine, and push the accelerator to get about 3000-4000rpm.
If the pressure is too high, you will not be able to hold the hose pressed together.
An other way is to go to a garage, they will have a digital test equipment to check if there is CO in your coolant....

42,008 Posts
does your radiator have plastic tanks? i have the same problem with mine and i figured out that it was the lip that the two tabs on the rad cap twist onto is just wore out from taking the cap on and off a million times.
i took a pair of channel locks and bent the the tabs on the cap down a little so it screws on tighter, it did the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would think that if he had bad head gaskets the cooling system would not hold pressure, not allow it to be too high..
Not if the pressure in the combustion chamber is being forced into the cooling system. Coolant look clean? No oil sheen to it? If you leave the cap off and run the truck does the coolant bubble?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Not if the pressure in the combustion chamber is being forced into the cooling system. Coolant look clean? No oil sheen to it? If you leave the cap off and run the truck does the coolant bubble?
Easiest way to tell for sure if it is passing compression into the:haha: cooling system is to put the over flow tube in a bottle of water. If it bubbles it is bad news.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts