S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Been there Done it
9,532 Posts
It seems that interest in all forms of Motor Vehicle Racing is taking a down turn currently. Back in the day 50 cars would try to be in the 43 that started a Nascar race. They are having a hard time today finding 40. Could be that it has gotten so Gawd awful expensive to be competitive or it could be today's generation would rather look a phone 24-7 than actually get out and do something.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk ....Just kidding

Reactions: Joe Cool

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
goes2fast thanks for pointing that post out to me I really enjoyed it and keep him on the radar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is an S10 forum and other than drag racing, S10's aren't really the best choice as a base for building a race car. Road race and oval vehicles CAN be build on an S10 chassis but there are better choices.

As far as racing in general, I think the series organizers are primarily to blame for the decline in spectators as well as much of the increase in the cost to compete. "Rules creep" seems to kill off spectators and competitors alike, especially in smaller grass roots racing. The liability issue has hurt a lot also. We used to be able to rent the road course at Indianapolis Raceway Park for $200.00 for 2 hours with a limit of 10 riders. We signed a release and took care of anyone injured ourselves. Lawyers made the release meaningless and last I heard the fee was $10,000 plus cost of two ambulance crews with just one rider or vehicle allowed on the track at a time.

NASCAR. I haven't watched a NASCAR race since the days of Wonder Boy and Jimmy Johnson trying to out whine each other. That pair and the endless long yellow flags, particularly in the last 10 miles was BORING. France's capitulation to Jesse Jackson's extortion degraded the series in the eyes of many. If their attendance in both car count and spectators is down, they got what they deserve. What's that old saying: The grandfather starts the business, the son expands it, and the grandson destroys it.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,225 Posts
I think the op was referring to individual racing interests. Like the old saying goes...speed costs...how fast do you want to go? I'm going to guess that a lot of the younger members here don't have the disposable income to undertake any real serious racing attempts. That's not to say S10's can't be made to go fast. Rickracer at www.V8S10.org runs mid 12's, tows his racer with it, AC on, doesn't overheat in Florida, and has street manners. Visiting that site would be a great resource for every aspect of a sbc build.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the individual weekend warrior is what what I was talking about. V8S10.ORG interest is low there also. I will agree with WLP racing like NASCAR has just out priced themselves. Bristol is on TV right now and a track that always sold out is empty - the cameraman is trying to hide sections. I love drag racing, perfomance, and all the friendships that has developed from it.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,225 Posts
Even though interest in racing may be low....the desire to have the biggest stick on the block remains.

·
the new guy
905 Posts
I was just thinking of autocrossing my little truck. With the zq8 package, it seems turn well at a good speed. The thing that is killing me is the class the scca placed the s10/sonoma in. Its likw they only considered people racing a v6 truck. All the other cars i have autocrossed had different classes if there was a 4 or 6 cylinder model because, of course, the 6 is faster.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The regular 4 cylinder s10/sonoma is listed as fsp. Why even street prepared? Stock they aren't at all corner carvers with no rear sway bar.
In Street, I'm pretty sure all S10s are HS in the "catch all" for RWD pickup trucks. BTW, you can add one (only one) stabilizaer bar in Street, so adding a ZQ8 rear bar (or similar) is allowed in Street.

In Street Touring, all the S10/Sonomas are STX regardless of engine as well. In street touring, springs are open, wheels are open up to 9" wide for STX, and you can add or change stabilizer bars on both ends of the chassis. It's possible to build a decent handling S10 under STX rules.

Both Street and Street Touring are "limited" to 200 treadwear rated tires. You still pretty much need to be on Bridgestone RE-71R or BFG G-Force Rivals to be competitive.

Street Prepared is a pretty pricey class to start in, and FSP includes a lot of lighter, more nimble cars. Not to mention that tires are much more open in Street Prepared. You won't win in FSP unless you're on DOT Race rubber/autocross compound tires. Something like Hoosier A7s is pretty much going to be required for a competitive region for FSP.

·
the new guy
905 Posts
Thats why i am bummed out. They start my little 4 cylinder in a class it can't compete in

I have the zq8 package so i have the rear bar. The truck seems like it would be fun in solo2, just the class is a bummer

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thats why i am bummed out. They start my little 4 cylinder in a class it can't compete in

I have the zq8 package so i have the rear bar. The truck seems like it would be fun in solo2, just the class is a bummer
TLDR: Run it, but get some grippy tires on a second set of wheels. Have fun, and in HS, the tutu/ZQ8 looks competitive on paper, with an advantage over the field that probably overcomes the weight and weight distribution disadvantages.

If you could find a SPIDS sticker with ZQ8 and G80, (and your engine and transmission codes) I really think an S10 with a tutu and a 5 speed is properly an HS competitor. You'll need a good supply of G80 diffs, and some inspection between events.

With the ZQ8 wheels, you can get decent tires for the stock wheels (Bridgestone RE-71R in 225/R16), and awesome tires at the +1 size which is allowed in Street, provided the width and offset are the same. Both the Rivals and RE-71Rs are available in 245/40R17 and can be fit on 17x8 wheels. In the Bridgestones, a 235/40R17 is available and might fit a little better. The Rivals only have 225/45R17 and 245/40R17.

You'd likely be the only one in HS with 8" wide wheels.

I don't think anyone is running a 4.3L V6 S10 in HS right now (competitively, with decent tires), and if anyone starts to run that in HS, I think the 4.3L V6 trucks will get moved up. They really can overperform for HS. I considered running Richard HS, but he doesn't have the ZQ8, so he'd be limited to 15x7 (or 14x7 or 16x7) wheels, and I didn't like the tire choices for those sizes. If I could find a SPIDS sticker to build to with "L35," "ZQ8," and "G80" on it and a VIN that matches my truck's year, I might consider a V6 HS dominator, but I'm also in a region where that would get noticed, and in a year, the V6 S10 truck would get moved up (probably taking all S10s with it like in Street Touring).

The Street class about half driver skill, and the other half is tire grip. If you can learn to drive, and you have grippy tires (Rivals or RE-71Rs), you can win in Street in almost anything in whatever class it runs. It's also way more fun to be competitive in "the wrong vehicle" than it is to drive the "easy class winning car" to certain defeat (without experience and practice).

BTW, what part of the country are you located in?

·
Old Fart
4,052 Posts
The way they class cars for autocross doesn't make sense. In 1978 I bought a new "King Cobra" Mustang II. I tried autocrossing with it and found my140 hp 2 barrel 302 was in the class with 375 hp 455 Trans Ams wich on a tight track I was semicompetitive but if there were any longer straights I didn't have a prayer. I argued that I should be with the Datsun Zs as the hp was about the same and even though they were lighter my times were about mid-pack with them. No dice, American V8 has to compete with American V8 so I haven't been back.

If I didn't have so much bad luck with storm damage and similar costly problems, I would be drag racing. I'm trying to get my Lexus in shape to be a weekend toy at the drag strip and after I get the bugs worked out I'm thinking I might sell it and build a dedicated S10 with a turbo LS after seeing how Boosted 6's truck turned out. I don't know if it's in the cards but you have to have goals to move forward.

Reactions: 02S10_LS

·
the new guy
905 Posts
I am in south texas. I would be running in the south texas border region of the scca. we only run solo2 here.

about 10 years ago I won d stock in my wife's 87 325is and dsp in my 89 325i, two years in a row. the cars were over powered so I always an in the group that the c and csp guys would run so I could watch my times versus those cars. it was fun because the little bmws did very well in the c classes so I think they should have been in those ones.

I am probably still going to try out fsp in my truck. as long as its not in long straight aways, I think the 2.2 will do fine. our tracks are very curvy because we use the navy's touch and go airfields, the guys who design the layouts don't set them up so high powered cars get to outrun people in straight runs, which is good.

I am thinking of going to help set up tomorrow morning because I have base access so I can come and go as I wish, being an army civilian. I don't have to worry about filling out all the paperwork to get access to the airfield. I will see how I feel about it tomorrow while setting up the course.

the g80 is the option I am missing from my sticker. I checked once you guys mentioned it in another thread.

·
Old Fart
4,052 Posts
Don't worry about the G80 they don't work well even when new. My truck has 91K on it and mine doesn't work so I will be putting in a TruTrac in the future.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,225 Posts
Don't worry about the G80 they don't work well even when new. My truck has 91K on it and mine doesn't work so I will be putting in a TruTrac in the future.
I'm not sure what you guys are doing to the G80 to turn them into junk. Mine works as advertised at 313K. Quit driving it like you stole it...lol

·
time to get cereal
3,929 Posts
The G80 code was not available with the LN2 or L43.

·
the new guy
905 Posts
Whats L43? LN2 is my little 2.2

I ended up not being able to go autocross today because all the family who's kids graduated friday had their graduation parties and lunches today. I will swing by tomorrow to talk to them about next month

·
time to get cereal
3,929 Posts
L43 is a flex-fuel compatible 2.2L

1 - 20 of 23 Posts