S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 355 Stroker to put into my 91 S10 4WD. Only problem is, that I didn’t think I would be able to do this swap by myself. Now my father and buddy are going to step up and help me drop this engine in with me.

The engine is running around 400-450 horsepower. The truck is sitting on a 2.5 inch lift on 31 inch mud/hybrid tires.

So I basically have two questions for y’all:

1. With it being on a 2.5” lift, will I lose a lot of traction/grip putting racing tires on? Think of Hoosier street/strip tires.

2. What kind of tire + rims and size would yall recommend for me? Me or my father have never had to measure racing tires for a truck before, only basic car tire stuff. Looking for something good on traction to race in, maybe some Hankooks or Hoosiers?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give! And have a good day!

40,463 Posts
I don't think you need "racing" tires unless the truck is going to live on the drag strip. Put whatever kind of tires you like on it. If it's in 4wd it'll hook up, spin a little, or break something, or a combination of any/all of those things.

·
Been there Done it
8,909 Posts
Where do you plan to race this truck when finished?

·
Registered
64 Posts
A 355 ain't a stroker, it's just an overbored 350. Added stroke would have made it a 383. 400 - 450hp is still stout, regardless of displacement.
Once you get it in and running, you'll start finding the weak links in your drivetrain.

Your 10-bolt rearend will live, maybe. With 4WD being almost the exact same width as an 8.8 out of an exploder, that would be one of my first upgrades, that rearend will live. A decent 5.7 will shred the front diff in a GMT400, the little guy in your S10 will be toast the first time both fronts are spinning and one gets traction. I understand there are some iron front diff housings available but the tiny ring gear will always be the weak link.

APPROPRIATE power is a whole lot more fun than BIG POWER after you've swept up the pieces a few times. It's frustrating to find weak links after installing a big power engine. After you discover that most of the internals of an automatic transmissioin will fit nicely into a 5-gallon bucket along with all the housing shrapnel, you'll agree.

You're asking parts that were developed for a 6-banger smogger engine to handle the output of a performance V8. As long as you understand that you'll have to re-engineer most of it, carry on.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
1,972 Posts
Probably better to stay with street tires... if you hook hard you'll likely break something >.>

As for tire height, it depends, you didn't say what trans is going behind it. Trans first gear, and your front/rear diff ratios play into what tire height you'll want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts