S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i heard u guys talking about knowing how to race an auto, i was curious as to what this meant? i have yet to go to the races im still learning my truck and how to drive it, i was wondering about this, my train of thought was u pushed the gas with the truck in drive, now some1 explain to me what to do... i want to get the best possible performance outta my new baby,, btw-
i drive a white 94 ext. cab v6 s-10, and im looking/wondering what to do first, can i get some suggestions?? and please some1 reply on that driving question =)
also where can i find if it's a TPI or TBI?

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
you can "manually shift" an auto, but it's not good on the tranny...not good at all really...

start out in 1....go...
watch tach (you will need one), when it get's close to redline, shift up into 2, then watch again, when it get's close to redline again, go up to 3.....it's fairly simple to do, but it's also easy to skip a gear...lol....no biggie tho....

again, it still really hard on the tranny...so i wouldn't do it too often if i were you....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so u suggest just puttin it in drive and goin ?
and also how do i tell if it's a tbi or tpi?

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
Twirl said:
so u suggest just puttin it in drive and goin ?
and also how do i tell if it's a tbi or tpi?
an auto isn't the best choice for racing really, you can do the shifting, i just wouldn't do it too often..i do it in the X whenever i race it....but that's where i leave it....
tpi/tbi, i couldn't tell ya

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
TBI....throttle body injection -- one(or two) big injectors sitting over the throttle body. Kinda like an electronic carb.

TPI...Tuned Port Injection -- form of multi-point injection found on 87-92 F-bodies and Vettes. Recognizable by its "spider" style intake runners.

·
Trick MotorSports!
1,253 Posts
oh...and for racing the auto, leaving it in "3" seems the best comprimise. It holds the gears longer and won't go into OD.

My fastest 1/4 times were in "3" not "D"

shifting manually on a column shifter is tricky, inconsistant, and slow to respond.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
explain 3, i have a 1, a 2, and a D with a circle around it, nothing else, i have a 94

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
My opinion on making our auto's perform is:
You have to drive the transmission rather than the engine. These engines will continue to rev up even though they are not pulling, putting the pedal to the floor and holding it there will make you slow. Getting the transmission to shift to the next gear at the right time is crucial.

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
thats why I like my 5-speeds...Instant power...drop a gear and dump the clutch....yeeeehaaaa, your away...:thumbup: LOL..and unless your truck is a V8, then you won't have a tpi...

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
i hate my auto for racing, but i love it for 2 reasons: 1. starting out on big hills, and 2. sitting in stop and go traffic. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have an s-10 blazer with a racing engine in it, but it is an automatic, now if i was goin to race someone, should i have it in drive when i start out or should i start in 1 or 2? at what speed should i shift into overdrive? or should i shift it into overdrive at all? is it really best to just florr the pedal and leave it therE? i need some tips, please email me at [email protected] if you can help.. thanx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts