S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when notching the gas tank 'member, (to lay 20's)

is the driveshaft supposed to be dead in the center or is it offset to one side?

I have everything off xcept the lower link bars. but the driveshaft was measuring like 1/4" off to the driverside. its is probably just sitting crooked.

so 2" is the minimum amount to notch for it right?

·
Resident *******
11,268 Posts
just get a gastank x-member from Suicide doors. if you don't want to do that, then take the bed off, air the truck out and see where you have to cut.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
When the bottom link bars were welded in they could have been off a little. I didn't think Jason sold the gas tank x-members? Just went to his site and didn't see any.

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe you missed my first post....

I have EVERYTHING off except the lower link bars. that means bags, upper bars, back 2 crossmembers, bed...etc.

I just stepnotched the frame too. I jacked the rear end up and made sure the axle was centered, but the driveshaft was sitting 1/4" over to the driverside. The lower link bars should be the same length( I havent touched them)

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NCHEVYHEVN3 said:
When the bottom link bars were welded in they could have been off a little.
they should be just fine. they were bolt on and have threaded ends. (airlift easystreet kit)

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
first impressions said:
they should be just fine. they were bolt on and have threaded ends. (airlift easystreet kit)
O ok then I would check the transmission and your engine mounts to see if they are broken or messed up.

·
Resident *******
11,268 Posts
jason does sell the x-member, it's listed under the 5-link, but he does sell it seperately. just call him up.

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dood, I dont want to buy it. I t is super easy to do. all you need is a piece of 4" pipe 3" long. cut it in half. then notch out the amount you need, then weld 'er in. I know Jason makes wicked stuff. but I aint gonna pay $200 for something I can do for $3.

($200 is an estimate, I live in canada so even if he sells it for $50, it would still end up costing me $200)

I just want to make sure the driveshaft is supposed to be centered on the gastank crossmember.

·
Registered
51 Posts
thats a good question....u mean it is offset to one side a lil? u should be leaving a lil xtra room for side to side anyways cuz it will move a lil...and notching to the top of the x member will let u lay on 22's.....i remember it being center....

·
Oh, yea...
966 Posts
Only thing I could think of is to check the angle of the axel with respect to the rest of the frame. If your links have threaded ends then maybe your link on the driver side is threaded in more than the on on the other side making the axel slightly twisted, giving you that 1/4" deflection on the shaft. If not, then I guess thats how is was before. If your axel is straight then I guess it wouldn't be a prob because of the U-joint... :idea: ...........Right?...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
the drive line is offset a 1" i believe

·
Alsek Spring & Fab Ltd.
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1" ?!!? are you sure? i measured from the frame to frame along the gastank crossmember and it was like 17 1/2" or something like that. and then I had the axle all the way up with it bang on side to side, and I eyed up the center of the driveshaft with the center mark on the crossmember and they were only out 1/4" MAX

I cant see it being out 1" either way. it must be centered. The notch piece I made is wider than the driveshaft dia. so there should be about 1/2" of play side to side.

Ill measure the lower link bars tomorrow just to be sure anyway.

tuckinrim,
If you can find out any more info about that 1" offset, it makes me curious...

oh, and does anyone know what wall thickness of tubing is ok to make a bridge setup?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts