S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Cadillac Among Men
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the past two mornings, I've had some trouble getting my 99 S-10 (2.2L) started. Seems to be some problem with the fuel pump/system. The truck cranks but just can't turn over. The gas guage reads completely empty and I know that there is gas in there. Turns out that if I pull the fuel pump relay and plug it back in, it begins to work just fine. Is this a common problem, and what does it mean? Could the relay just be going bad and needs replacing or is it the fuel pump itself?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks! :cool:

·
Compliance!
5,156 Posts
i would start by putting some fuel in there since its empty, drive up to your local autozone and have them check the fuel pressure, could be getting weak and eventually soon die. my truck wouldnt run long/start if the fuel was low (no low fuel light either). eventually dead pump. 60 or higher psi is good, and lower and its getting weak.

·
The Cadillac Among Men
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I always keep my gas guage at half a tank or above, and after pulling the relay the gas guage began to work and that's when the truck would start.

But I'll have to look into getting the fuel pump tested. Thanks for the advice. Any other opinions gladly appreciated too.

·
Compliance!
5,156 Posts
may wanna check that relay, or swap it with the horn relay cuz they are matching relays, and see how that works for a while, may be as simple as that.

·
Registered Asshole
1,136 Posts
I have a a similar problem on my 99 2.2, of course it has been sitting for 3 years........ but when I turn the key over the fuel gauge moves, but no pump. I tested the 4 wire plug. I haev grey, purple, black, and orange/black (I think) Anyways the purple have 5V, I assume that is the gauge wire... The grey has nothing I assumed that is the 12v for the pump.

The motor cranks but I know it has no fuel to it. Does anyone know what it could be? Also are the relay's on the pass side by behind the glove box?

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM is known for crappy fuel pumps on a number of cars & trucks. If you already did the swap with the horn relay, get the line tested. But it also could be bad pressure valve that keeps enough fuel in the line for startup on injected motors. 9 out of 10 times it is the pumps. I have a brand new one for both my 2.2 in my S10 and my 4.3 astro shop van because I know they are gonna go sometime...

Hope you get it taken care of soon....

·
Registered
28 Posts
switching the fuel pump relay with the horn or headlight relays works really well... what i am trying to say is THANK YOU!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts