S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have everything all wired up except one wire, this is for a flex-a-lite fan. They say the wire is to go to the A/C power wire. Is this at the compressor i take it. What wire do i tap into for a 97. And if this is done correctly the fan should come anytime i have the a/c on correct?

Thanks

·
95 S-10 2200
510 Posts
You are correct about the wires function. I believe that most people hook it up to the ac relay. I don't have ac so I couldn't tell you exactly which wire to splice into.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Find what wire on the comp (small connector near clutch) is +12V when running.

and just tap into that :)

But use a Diode if you have one or it will back feed and make the AC clutch drag.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my instructions never said anything about a diode. What size or whatever do i need can i just get a diode from radioshack? thanks for any help

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
You don't need that, mine hasn't had any issues and that is where I tapped in. The best place would be the pressure switch, but the clutch wire is right there.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
Dr. Nate said:
You don't need that, mine hasn't had any issues and that is where I tapped in. The best place would be the pressure switch, but the clutch wire is right there.

You will get back EMF from the coil that will effect system operation may not be now but will soon.

The new fans may have this diode already built in if it did not come with one new then it is built in.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
I have the Flex-A-Lite Black Magic for a year (30,000) miles and haven't had any issues.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
ThorRacing01 said:
can you get a pic of where you tapped into to wire it to the a/c??
I would have to take a picture, I thought I had one but I don't. If your standing at your engine...looking at it with the driver's side to your right and the passenger's side to your left you should see your AC compressor at the top right of your engine. Remove the CAI, and you'll see a plug that connects to the side of your AC compressor. Pull back the tape and you'll see a white wire and a blue wire. I believe the blue wire is the - and the white is the + but you might want to double check. Just connect it to the + wire. I then used that plastic wire protector stuff to cover up where I had to spliced in with the connector, then used electrical tape to cover that up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you guys removed or cut of the factory fan shroud? I re-installed mine covering my two 10 inch zirgo fans. I was just wondering if that would make any difference. I like the idea of taping to the ac compressor, that thermostat switch does not convince me.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
Felipe 2.2 said:
Did you guys removed or cut of the factory fan shroud? I re-installed mine covering my two 10 inch zirgo fans. I was just wondering if that would make any difference. I like the idea of taping to the ac compressor, that thermostat switch does not convince me.
The AC relay is there to turn the fans on high when your turn the AC on, the thermostat switch is there to turn the fans on when the engine gets warm enough. If you don't run a thermostat switch you could run the risk of engine damage if you forget to turn the AC on or you don't hard wire the fan so it always on (which I wouldn't suggest doing).

The upper portion of the fan shroud could be cut to hold the radiator to the core support. I cut mine that way, and removed the lower portion. My e-fan does have it's own shroud as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts