S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I would like to do the efan to my 91 s-15 jimmy 4.3. I’ve searched through the forums and read a lot about how this is done in a second gen and was wondering if it is the same procedure for the first gen as well? What sucks about All the older post is that all of the pictures can’t be seen anymore. Anyway any help would be appreciated

Thank you

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
It's the same. Find a fan, mount it in, pick a temp switch or buy a kit and wire it up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you say that? Wouldn’t the original shroud just come and the and e fan mount right to the radiator itself?

·
Been there Done it
7,068 Posts
Personally I'd never install an e fan in a vehicle that wasn't modified and had to use one. The clutch fan originally installed works more reliably and seldom goes bad. Ask anyone who owned a 3rd gen F body about the 1000's of engines that blew up in those when the e fans failed.
Clutch fans only draw a small amount of power and only when needed. Most of the time they are freewheeling.
To make an electric fan reliable you really need a good controller which is fairly pricey. Sure you can get by with just a temp switch. At least add warning lights for over heating and fan motor/electrical failure.
Having a backup is a good thing. You can jump out of an airplane with one parachute. I always wore 2. The 2nd one only saved my life once.

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
In the late 80s most if not all cars with electric fans had dedicated fan switches, and these rarely fail. I haven't had the slightest issue with the fan in my truck, but unless you are competent in modifying things, and understand how the system works and where the failure points are, then I wouldn't recommend it. It's a little more complicated than throwing a cheap cold air intake on, throw air conditioning into the mix and there's another level of complexity.

That being said, the 2.2L especially benefits from an electric fan. It's just a lot more responsive without the clutch fan out front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to have the low speed on with temp then hi speed with ac? All the post I’ve been looking at, I can’t see any of the pictures so they r kind of useless. And apparently it’s looked down on to revive a thread by ask a question in it that relates to ur topic instead of starting a new thread of the same topic that already has 1000 threads on it

·
Administrator
21,756 Posts
Well does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to have the low speed on with temp then hi speed with ac? All the post I’ve been looking at, I can’t see any of the pictures so they r kind of useless. And apparently it’s looked down on to revive a thread by ask a question in it that relates to ur topic instead of starting a new thread of the same topic that already has 1000 threads on it
You answered your own question. You can't see the pictures so they're kinda useless. Parts and procedures change over time so why dig up old tech. You can always post a link to the dead thread. if you like.

If you like, I can post a link to the Rules that you didn't read...

Works just like this...

·
time to get cereal
2,277 Posts
There are tons of fan wiring diagrams all over the internet... this isn't something that is S10 specific. You should be able to take a cookie cutter circuit and modify it to your own needs, or else you shouldn't mess with it at all.

·
Been there Done it
7,068 Posts
Yes, you should absolutely put an electric fan in.
Since you’re dying to make a mod of some type, why not a fan?
The more research you do the more you'll realize it's not a simple as it sounds.
I have over $1K in the cooling system on my ZR2.
And many days doing the mods and installation of all the components.
After countless hours of research.

You didn’t say why you want to do this.
If the it is running too hot, you need to find out why before starting any mods.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts