S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
bling bling like WHOA
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to open this thing? there is some goofy head on the plug and I can't just turn it to get it open.

2003 Blazer if that helps.. any ideas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, it's a pita the first time you do it. The plug is like a wing nut, made of plastic, and unscrews to drain. About halfway through the full turn you'll line it up so that you can actually pull the drain completely out. This makes draining faster and easier. It's hard to visualize probably, but if you had the radiator out you'd see. The groove that you "turn" the spout in is designed to turn past the groove that lets you pull it out. Just pull out on the spout as you are turning it. It might be tight. You might try something to lube it, but it's like plastic so it might not work. If you broke it, you could get another one from a junk yard or parts store. Every one I've seen is the same size, although I've pretty much only owned Chevrolet.

Good luck,

David Viles

·
Registered
212 Posts
Cant you just use a set of plyers or adjustable wrench.

Im not sure, but usually that's all they are on most radiators.

Hell I can use my hand to get it open on my car.(gotta use my vulcan death grip though.)

·
Registered
151 Posts
(gotta use my vulcan death grip though.)
LOL, Im not sure what your trying to do flush fluid? I actually gave up on that stupid plug and got a flush N fill prestone kit.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
This is what it looks like..I just took an old thin wall socket and slot cut
it across to fit onto the "wings" of the drain plug and
loosened that way.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
LOL, Im not sure what your trying to do flush fluid? I actually gave up on that stupid plug and got a flush N fill prestone kit.
The Prestone Flush & Fill kit just splices into a heater hose though, to allow the air to bleed from the system when you refill it (I've got one - good $7 investment). Doesn't do a whole lot with emptying the system out, except for allowing the air to re-enter and empty the system faster. Still have to pop the drain plug on the radiator or pull the lower hose or similar.

They are just a goofy wing-nut plug thing. It takes a bit of effort to open it. Either a pair of pliers or a crescent wrench adjusted to the thickness of the wing-nut part will pop it open. You can also get at it from underneath the truck - on the 4WD models you'll have to pop the rock guard off.

·
bling bling like WHOA
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what it looks like..I just took an old thin wall socket and slot cut
it across to fit onto the "wings" of the drain plug and
loosened that way.
That is not what I looks like, mine is a cream color plastic and has a totally different head on it.

I can probably twist it off with a pair of pliers but it's a real soft plastic and I didn't want to ruin it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Prestone Flush & Fill kit just splices into a heater hose though, to allow the air to bleed from the system when you refill it (I've got one - good $7 investment). Doesn't do a whole lot with emptying the system out, except for allowing the air to re-enter and empty the system faster. Still have to pop the drain plug on the radiator or pull the lower hose or similar.

They are just a goofy wing-nut plug thing. It takes a bit of effort to open it. Either a pair of pliers or a crescent wrench adjusted to the thickness of the wing-nut part will pop it open. You can also get at it from underneath the truck - on the 4WD models you'll have to pop the rock guard off.
Your's doesn't have an attachment for a garden hose to completely flush your fluid out with clean water?

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
Your's doesn't have an attachment for a garden hose to completely flush your fluid out with clean water?
I do, but the wording in your post sounded like you use it in place of the radiator drain and I was wondering how that worked... :)

To replace fluid, maybe, but to drain everything (such as, for replacing the radiator) I didn't see how that would do much.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I do, but the wording in your post sounded like you use it in place of the radiator drain and I was wondering how that worked... :)

To replace fluid, maybe, but to drain everything (such as, for replacing the radiator) I didn't see how that would do much.
Ahh we are on the same page just saying it different :)

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Here's the pic of a rad for a 2003 Blaz

I guess your talking about that small creme colored drain at the right
bottom ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts