S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you mold the fiberglass? Do you start out a main idea with thin 1/4 inch wood then form what you are looking for? I want to build one something like the trucks with the subs built in to it and painted the same color as my truck. Any ideas or help would be greatly apprecitated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is a pic of something like I want, keep in mind I have and ext.cab

Attachments

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
They are fairly easy

You get the sub-structure of the console the way you want it. Then you make mounting rings for the subs and gauges and mock them up on the sub-structure. The fiberglass part is then to staple the WOVEN fiberglass cloth inside the mounting rings and stretch it over the sub-structure. Then paint it with the fiberglass resin and your done.......except for all the bondo and shaping and sanding and painting.

Practice on something you don't care about like a scrap piece of wood so that you can learn how to mock up the rings and and get consistent results with the fiberglass!

Good luck!!

Rick

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: They are fairly easy

rhenry01 said:
You get the sub-structure of the console the way you want it. Then you make mounting rings for the subs and gauges and mock them up on the sub-structure. The fiberglass part is then to staple the WOVEN fiberglass cloth inside the mounting rings and stretch it over the sub-structure. Then paint it with the fiberglass resin and your done.......except for all the bondo and shaping and sanding and painting.

Practice on something you don't care about like a scrap piece of wood so that you can learn how to mock up the rings and and get consistent results with the fiberglass!

Good luck!!

Rick
Okay, thanks I'm gonna try it once it warms up a bit so It will harded okay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts