S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
between the vortech, powerdyne, and procharger which one puts out the most horsepower and has shown the best gains. I'm looking into getting the most horsepower out of the blower without effecting reliability, what are your opinions. I like the vortech due to it's reliability and company backing but seems to lack hp numbers, does the powerdyne produce more hp? And I haven't found anything about the procharger accept for machperformance. Is there a 4.3 kit with intercooler, or was that a custom install. What 1/4 mile times are people running with these blowers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
The ProCharger system was designed by Mach Performance and is sold through Mach Performance only. If you call ProCharger, they will just give you Mach's number.

The kit itself is listed in the ProCharger catalog, but Bill has taken responsibility of all kit contents and shipping to customers.

The kits comes standard with 2 core intercooler, upgradable to 3 core. On a stock engine, with stock tires, Brett was getting 14's. However on a modified engine, with MT E/T's, Bill has been able to run mid 12's with a 112 mph (no traction).
 

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
Joined
·
694 Posts
2002 zq8 said:
between the vortech, powerdyne, and procharger which one puts out the most horsepower and has shown the best gains. I'm looking into getting the most horsepower out of the blower without effecting reliability, what are your opinions. I like the vortech due to it's reliability and company backing but seems to lack hp numbers, does the powerdyne produce more hp? And I haven't found anything about the procharger accept for machperformance. Is there a 4.3 kit with intercooler, or was that a custom install. What 1/4 mile times are people running with these blowers?
The Procharger can produce the most CFM & highest boost which = the most HP. Also no putting metal chips in your pan like the vortec:D :uhoh: I think it is the most reliable as there's fewer things to break & no belt to shread.:eek:
For more info on the unit you can check their site.
 

·
a blown member , dsi racing founder
Joined
·
61 Posts
the ati unit can produce the most boost of all 3 at up to 15lbs as used by Bill M. and is IC'd so u get a denser charger. Second runner up as far as boost goes is the vortech as ive talked to many people that say they hit between 9-11lbs at wot at 5500rpms. I myself have the lowly powerdyne producing only 5-6lbs of boost at 5500 rpm and the smallest pulley availible is only able to produce around 9psi, but because of the internal belt you may or may not have problems...also fuel is an issue which youll have to deal with by buying an inline fuel pump, ignition system and a better fmu than either the vortech or powerdyne kits come with. For the money the procharger kit looks to be the best bang for the buck but if u plan on modding it any further there are still things youll need to buy. But plan on getting aroud 240hp at the wheels with a stock engine and the ati, 205 at the wheels with the vortech and probably somewhere around the same for the powerdyne.

lata
bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Procharger all the way in my opinion. I'll give you some dyno results and track times here shortly. Set to receive the kit this friday. BTW I have every bolt-on: headers, 2.5 y-pipe, 3 inch cat back, no cat, 3:73s, GMAFS, poweraid tbs, 10 lb pulley upgrade, etc.. oh yea et streets and skinnies on 15" weld prostars.
 

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
Joined
·
694 Posts
WhyTry L35 said:
Procharger all the way in my opinion. I'll give you some dyno results and track times here shortly. Set to receive the kit this friday. BTW I have every bolt-on: headers, 2.5 y-pipe, 3 inch cat back, no cat, 3:73s, GMAFS, poweraid tbs, 10 lb pulley upgrade, etc.. oh yea et streets and skinnies on 15" weld prostars.
Who's Y-pipe you got?? What dia?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Its a custom 2 1/2 inch y-pipe. In blower applications a custom one is better because you can make it bigger piping. Mine is stick so the SLP won't even fit on it. Foff667 also has a custom 2.5 set-up and has has good results.
 

·
a blown member , dsi racing founder
Joined
·
61 Posts
yeah we just used some dynomax mandrel bent tubing and cut and pasted it into place :) we gained like 2-3 tenths if i rmemeber correctly between that and the flexalite fan.

lata
Bill
 

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
Joined
·
694 Posts
WhyTry L35 said:
Its a custom 2 1/2 inch y-pipe. In blower applications a custom one is better because you can make it bigger piping. Mine is stick so the SLP won't even fit on it. Foff667 also has a custom 2.5 set-up and has has good results. [/QUO

So your norm-assperated? & you got a improvment??
Who cut & welded? How many hours? Did you just take SLP's word for it, or did you see it.
I have ordered one from them, so I'll be cutting & welding.:D :mad:
 

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
Joined
·
694 Posts
foff667 said:
yeah we just used some dynomax mandrel bent tubing and cut and pasted it into place :) we gained like 2-3 tenths if i rmemeber correctly between that and the flexalite fan.

lata
Bill
So Bill How many H gaskets have you had go bad? Anything to do with boost? I assume your @ 6 or so PSI? Were you powerdyned before the Y pipe?

Bill Mach told me of a guy, works @ Procharger, took off his stock Y, Went with open manifolds on the dyno- gained 43 HP:)
Also, a new intake for our 4.3 maybe. (like you said, ours sucks) Supposed to make 50HP. $$$$ though requires diff. TB & injectors & such. A GM piece.
The fac. does weird things . On the syty's the IC pump doesn't come on till 195?? AND the IC lower brackets are bolted to the ext. man.!! Very wise for a cooling device:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
The SLP y-pipe will fit a 5 speed if you trim some of the trans cooling fins. It is a close fit , real close to the trans. I must say i got a gain from the 2 1/2 y-pipe on all motor. 92 mph trap speed isnt too bad for bolt ons and street tires. I see you have 3 inch cat back so why do you want to choke it at the y-pipe. The SLP is too small for a truck with as much power as yours. Also you can get an exhaust cutout from summit for about 30 bucks and do the same thing bill mach's buddy did. I may try that on the dyno myself. takes 2 minutes to open and close the cutout. see ya , chris
 

·
a blown member , dsi racing founder
Joined
·
61 Posts
syclonedave said:
WhyTry L35 said:
Its a custom 2 1/2 inch y-pipe. In blower applications a custom one is better because you can make it bigger piping. Mine is stick so the SLP won't even fit on it. Foff667 also has a custom 2.5 set-up and has has good results. [/QUO

So your norm-assperated? & you got a improvment??
Who cut & welded? How many hours? Did you just take SLP's word for it, or did you see it.
I have ordered one from them, so I'll be cutting & welding.:D :mad:
we just took 2 dynomax U bent 2 1/2 in tubing and my friend john welded it to fit I have a pic of it up on my site...took like 3 hours and costed about $40.

lata
bill
 

·
a blown member , dsi racing founder
Joined
·
61 Posts
syclonedave said:


So Bill How many H gaskets have you had go bad? Anything to do with boost? I assume your @ 6 or so PSI? Were you powerdyned before the Y pipe?

Bill Mach told me of a guy, works @ Procharger, took off his stock Y, Went with open manifolds on the dyno- gained 43 HP:)
Also, a new intake for our 4.3 maybe. (like you said, ours sucks) Supposed to make 50HP. $$$$ though requires diff. TB & injectors & such. A GM piece.
The fac. does weird things . On the syty's the IC pump doesn't come on till 195?? AND the IC lower brackets are bolted to the ext. man.!! Very wise for a cooling device:rolleyes:
i have had 2...the first one was cuz id been running lean since i put on the powerdyne the second one was because napa doesnt have computers that say "we recommend new head bolts" therefore i never thought i needed new ones till after the fact so im sure thats why the second one went so early...youll gain all top end with open headers i felt it when we had to redue my ypipe to fit the new headers and went without the exhaust from the headers back.

lata
Bill
 

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
Joined
·
694 Posts
WhyTry L35 said:
The SLP y-pipe will fit a 5 speed if you trim some of the trans cooling fins. It is a close fit , real close to the trans. I must say i got a gain from the 2 1/2 y-pipe on all motor. 92 mph trap speed isnt too bad for bolt ons and street tires. I see you have 3 inch cat back so why do you want to choke it at the y-pipe. The SLP is too small for a truck with as much power as yours. Also you can get an exhaust cutout from summit for about 30 bucks and do the same thing bill mach's buddy did. I may try that on the dyno myself. takes 2 minutes to open and close the cutout. see ya , chris

I talked to JBA ,they protyped a 2 or 2.5" Y. Less power for them so they gave up.
My thought on the Y is , moding a built piece ie less work than from scrach, (I hope)
Volume of 2- 21/4 pipes is 7.94" ,1- 3" is 7.06". I'll measure back pressure again after install. Presently it's about 1-2 lbs less than boost press. ie. @ 8psi boost = 6-7 psi BP.also going to removing smaller cat.
 

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
Joined
·
694 Posts
foff667 said:


i have had 2...the first one was cuz id been running lean since i put on the powerdyne the second one was because napa doesnt have computers that say "we recommend new head bolts" therefore i never thought i needed new ones till after the fact so im sure thats why the second one went so early...youll gain all top end with open headers i felt it when we had to redue my ypipe to fit the new headers and went without the exhaust from the headers back.

lata
Bill
Lean ?? So have you tuned it with a wide band to see how it is now adays? How much psi?
 

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
syclonedave said:


So Bill How many H gaskets have you had go bad? Anything to do with boost? I assume your @ 6 or so PSI? Were you powerdyned before the Y pipe?

Bill Mach told me of a guy, works @ Procharger, took off his stock Y, Went with open manifolds on the dyno- gained 43 HP:)
Also, a new intake for our 4.3 maybe. (like you said, ours sucks) Supposed to make 50HP. $$$$ though requires diff. TB & injectors & such. A GM piece.
The fac. does weird things . On the syty's the IC pump doesn't come on till 195?? AND the IC lower brackets are bolted to the ext. man.!! Very wise for a cooling device:rolleyes:
so, GM has an intake for our truck? i have a '98, will it fit?:confused:
 

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
Joined
·
694 Posts
MightyMouseJ5 said:


so, GM has an intake for our truck? i have a '98, will it fit?:confused:

I think it would fit.
But it's not out yet! :mad: :(
 

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
syclonedave said:



I think it would fit.
But it's not out yet! :mad: :(
is it the zz4.3 intake? if so, has anyone heard anything resently about it? is GM gonna make it or is another manufacturer gonna take it up?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Don't hold your breath

MightyMouseJ5 said:


is it the zz4.3 intake? if so, has anyone heard anything resently about it? is GM gonna make it or is another manufacturer gonna take it up?:confused:
I'm fairly confident that GM is not going to make and market the ZZ4.3 intake. They only had a couple hand-made for some proto-type trucks. The 4.3 is being phased out in a couple years and GM isn't gonna spend the money to develop the hand-made prototypes into something for an engine they won't be using anymore. Best bet is that someone like Edelbrock will pick up the idea and produce it. Even if someone does do it, who knows when.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,652 Posts
There might be a performance intake manifold for the 4.3. Otherwise find you a recent one and have it ported and milled, etc.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top