S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, according to the guy that installed my system, I have the finest speakers that money can buy. I also have the cheapest amp (Boss Amp), which is seriously compromising the quality of sound. It's distorting a lot, and there's a loud hiss over everything. I have the top of the line Infinity Kappa 3-way and 2-ways now. I'm looking at a couple of amps on ebay, what do you guys think of these:

Alpine V12 5 Ch MRV-F353 5/4/3 Amplifier
Alpine MRV-F505 V-12 4 Channel Amp
INFINITY 255A AMP 4 Ohm Stereo: 50W x 4, 200W x 1
Xtant A4004 400 watt 4ch
Precision Power PCX-440

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
Alpine are some of the best you can get. i run eclipse which are friggin sweet, i think they are a lil better the alpine but some would argue differently

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Well the Precision Power amp is so much better than the rest of those. I personally use only Soundstream amps. BTW I have the same speakers you do.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, narrowing it down! I'm looking at these two amps:
Eclipse Amplifier Model 3242
w/ 50W x 4 Channel 0.04% THD at 4 ohms RMS
Precision Power PCX-440 Amplifier
w/ 40W x 4 Channel at 4 ohms RMS

Will those amounts of RMS power be enough to power my Infinity Kappa 3 and 2 ways? Which one is better?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The maximum RMS power ratings on my speakers are 65w and 75w, respectively, so if I'm only putting 40w through, will that compromise the quality? Or are RMS watts only how loud it can get?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
RMS is the continuous AC power that your speakers will receive. They should be just fine with that amount of power.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I bought the Precision Power Amp, the one with 40w x4. Good decision?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
sfzTrumpet said:
Well, I bought the Precision Power Amp, the one with 40w x4. Good decision?
Yup, In my opinion you can't compare the Alpine with the PPI amp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts