S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question ... when welding a notch or welding in your notch and have to weld vertically ...how do you guys lay the bead ...

when welding vertically downwards do you lay your beads in a ...

∩ ...pattern ...

OR...

U ...pattern ...

·
I got 2 much stuff
467 Posts
down2earths10 said:
i draw big circles. make sure you start at the top and go down.
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

ALLWAYS weld uphill. as in start at the botom and weld up. it is a WELL known fact that welding uphill is stronger.

and I use a U for up hill:cool:

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea I know in arc welding you move up and zig zag ...but when mig ...I always seemed to have a problem going uphill ...what about horizontal ... you do a

C motion?? and move it to the right or left?

·
I got 2 much stuff
467 Posts
Myst said:
yea I know in arc welding you move up and zig zag ...but when mig ...I always seemed to have a problem going uphill ...what about horizontal ... you do a

yea I gess you could call it a C.

as far as right or left:haha: well that really depends or wear your sitting. compqared to what youe welding.

with gas you want to drag your weld. and flux wire to want to push it, I think.

but you should allways weld up hill.

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok cool yea I run gas ..just wondering how everyone does theres ...I was going downwards when going vertical ..sthanks man

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Myst said:

in stick welding it all depends on the rod your using, ex...7018 rod..up 6010 rod..however you want

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im mig welding ...im done with stick ..haha ...I know the basis of stick but the mig I was unsure how everyone went about ..I dont want to weld without good pentration ..

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea I had thought you go downhill when doing vertical ...thats why I ask ...b/c I hear diff... answers maybe this will clarify for others to

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
i ve heard uphill and i do it that way now, but ive done two downhill and never found a fault... for whatever thats worth

·
Honest Abe's Fab Shoppe
11,738 Posts
fiveinchbodydrop said:
i ve heard uphill and i do it that way now, but ive done two downhill and never found a fault... for whatever thats worth
same... i don't know if it really makes much of a difference as long as your penetrating.

I mean, I use a Lincoln Pro MIG 175 with .035 wire and crank the bitch up... that on the material those notches are made of, is deffinately over kill and i know i'm penetrating like a mofo

·
Wis minitrucker
252 Posts
I am a boilermaker and we used downhill mig and uphill stick on all our boilers and that is what i use on my truck. i am a certified structial welder if that is any credential

·
Mcfly Minis inc
3,102 Posts
When ever I go uphill on a vertical weld, the pool gets thick at the bottom and thin uptop. So I do downhill, and have no problems. On horizontal welds I always push the weld using a C motion. I'm using a mig/gas 220v

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1lowGMC said:
When ever I go uphill on a vertical weld, the pool gets thick at the bottom and thin uptop. So I do downhill, and have no problems. On horizontal welds I always push the weld using a C motion. I'm using a mig/gas 220v
o ok so you dont pull the C weld you push it ok ...see everyone has diff ways ...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
i would't worry about welding a frame notch downhill...it will be just fine if you get enough heat and pentration.... just make sure you stay under puddle and don't push it downhill....

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea I hear ya ...the only thing that sucksis that from the side of the frame rail to the notch is a bit of a gap that I need to figure out ...maybe throw some metal in there and go from there

1 - 19 of 19 Posts