S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys, most of you probably dont know me, but ive been on here for a while, just not that active at all. Anyways in the recent months, i purchased a 2.8 from a buddy of mine that had one come out of a blazer. I have a few questions about it. Ok, engine is in and everything is bolted down, distributor is even back in and so is the throttle body and all of the lines. My question is, is it possible to bypass the smog pump on the 2.8? I really feel no need for it, or is every vacuum line on the engine important? I see a lot that I could cap off, just not sure as to which ones shouldnt be. If I can bypass the smog, what size belt would I need to run? Also, would I need to change the oil filter housing from my old motor back onto this one? Because the blazer the 2.8 came out of has a completely different housing and my wires are not the same. Last question would be about the vaccum solenoid im guessing that is attached to the coil bracket behind the passenger valve cover, will I need to attach this back on for the emissions or would it be fine to leave it off?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Yes you can I can give you a belt size yours might be slightly different as I'm running 85 alt on the 87 motor in my 85 truck but it would be a starting place for the tensioner puLley the belt will rub so what u need to do is go find the pulley off I think it's a 96 lincon town car with the 4.6l overhead cammed engine it's the idler pulley on pass side above the belt tensioner it won't have razed edges but that's ok that's what I'm running on my truck works great

Next thing is that valve I took off all the stuff to do with the smog pump on my 85 no problem yet and that was two years ago

·
Registered
235 Posts
when i need a funky belt i grab a piece of string or speaker wire or whatever you have laying around and run it around the belts and clip it even. when you hit the auto parts store you can put it on their lil belt measuring tool device.im sure it has a cool name but i dont know what it is. and go one size smaller to compansate for tensioner pully

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Whats up guys, most of you probably dont know me, but ive been on here for a while, just not that active at all. Anyways in the recent months, i purchased a 2.8 from a buddy of mine that had one come out of a blazer. I have a few questions about it. Ok, engine is in and everything is bolted down, distributor is even back in and so is the throttle body and all of the lines. My question is, is it possible to bypass the smog pump on the 2.8?

http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyoutoo/how-to/airremoval/airremoval.htm

I really feel no need for it, or is every vacuum line on the engine important? I see a lot that I could cap off, just not sure as to which ones shouldnt be.

Depends on what all you removed. If its not there it doesn't need vacuum

If I can bypass the smog, what size belt would I need to run?

see above link

Also, would I need to change the oil filter housing from my old motor back onto this one? Because the blazer the 2.8 came out of has a completely different housing and my wires are not the same.

use the one that matches the truck the engine is going in

Last question would be about the vaccum solenoid im guessing that is attached to the coil bracket behind the passenger valve cover, will I need to attach this back on for the emissions or would it be fine to leave it off?

That part is the EGR solenoid and if you still have the EGR you need it or it will throw a code.

good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I got her back running tonight, everything bolted down, i still have to find a pipe plug or something to plug off the smog tube going into the exhaust manifold, honestly havent read the article neo put up, but ill give it a read through to see if that answers my problem. Feels weird having a brand new clutch in my truck after riding on the original one since 1991. I have everything in time, gotta replace the distributor mounting gasket on it though, old one tore after taking the distributor in and out 3 times this week. Where the alternator bracket bolts down through the side of the exhaust manifold, I need to figure out a way to remove the stud that goes through the bottom of the bracket attaching to the alternator. Right now it is rigged with no smog pump on the drivebelt system what so ever, I just have the main top alternator nut tightened to hell and back.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
It explains how to plug that hole in the link.

Get a paper gasket for a chevy v8 and use with the new o-rings for the dizzy. Helps keeping it from leaking.

I'm running a bigger cs144 instead of the factory cs130 in my blazer and don't use the bracket that bolts to the manifold, besides I have headers.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,619 Posts
It explains how to plug that hole in the link.

Get a paper gasket for a chevy v8 and use with the new o-rings for the dizzy. Helps keeping it from leaking.

I'm running a bigger cs144 instead of the factory cs130 in my blazer and don't use the bracket that bolts to the manifold, besides I have headers.
Mine is missing too. Mostly because I can't remember where I did with it. It may also not work because I have the older style exhaust manifolds. I converted mine to serpentine system. Seems just fine like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts