S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 s10 , with no tach, currently my dash is out and it may or may not be a good oppurtunity to put in a tach. how hard is it and what would i need besides the tach itself. is there a kit? :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
tach response.

:D there is no kit that I am aware of. If you get an autometer tach it will have instructions. You can go to the autometer site to find out what wires to hook the sender to. If the older models are the same as the newer ones (ie. ignition) then they have to do something to the tach before it will read correctly. If anyone reading this has seen where I have given any wrong info or knows more about the subject then please correct me. It is an extremely easy install.:thumbup:

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Re: tach response.

goatpounder said:
:D there is no kit that I am aware of. If you get an autometer tach it will have instructions. You can go to the autometer site to find out what wires to hook the sender to. If the older models are the same as the newer ones (ie. ignition) then they have to do something to the tach before it will read correctly. If anyone reading this has seen where I have given any wrong info or knows more about the subject then please correct me. It is an extremely easy install.:thumbup:
hell yes folks.....this 'un here is one smart cookie:thumbup:

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i went to a auto shop today and they had a mini kit with four wires, i was thinking of picking it up for $40 and trying it out, now i am guess one wire is the light, one wire is the ground, one wire i think is the spark plug and then from there, i am lost, i haven't picked it up yet but i am interested... am i making this seem harder than it really is.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
yes you are, there should be a wire that you tap into to cause the tach to work....all the trucks have the tach wire, some just aren't connected. Just find that wire, ground, and the power thats hot when the engine is on and you're done.

Caleb

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SummerWolf said:
yes you are, there should be a wire that you tap into to cause the tach to work....all the trucks have the tach wire, some just aren't connected. Just find that wire, ground, and the power thats hot when the engine is on and you're done.

Caleb
thanks for your help i think i have a project next weekend for my truck thanks for your help :thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
how would you go about that???

How would one go about finding the wire that the tach goes to in the instrument cluster wiring? Thanks for the info.

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: how would you go about that???

goatpounder said:
How would one go about finding the wire that the tach goes to in the instrument cluster wiring? Thanks for the info.
i was going to ask that thanks for saying something, i recenlty had my entire dash out so if anyone knows i hope i don't have to do it again, i wonder if it would be labels, i should've check, can anyone help us out because i am getting interested

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello!

:drinkhaha I wish that would someone would post as to how to find that wire that runs the tach regardless, you will have to send the tach to the factory to get recalibrated. The trucks that we have send the wrong number of pulses to the tach. If I am wrong then someone correct me but I spent all day lookin for someone to recalibrate it locally and no one could do it. So I will send it off soon i guess.

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am still looking for the "tach wire" where should i start looking?

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
on my 2.8 there was a red wire that went to the coil pack..that is what I hooked up to the tach and mine worked fine..you might try that, I don't know that they will be the same for the 4cyl.

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xtremer-pxl said:
on my 2.8 there was a red wire that went to the coil pack..that is what I hooked up to the tach and mine worked fine..you might try that, I don't know that they will be the same for the 4cyl.
alriht ill pop the hood and see what ill find, thanks guys, ps. good luck on the V8 first gen,post some pics when your workin on it, it'll be good to see

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was just readin elsewhere that you could hook the tach up to the white wire b10 I believe that comes out of the comp. I dont know how much truth there is in this because I havent tried it yet but its worth a shot its only a wire.ha ha....:thumbup:

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
xtremer-pxl said:

in about 300 bucks worth of the auto parts store, then it will be ready...
oh yeah i checked it out in my free time, it looks good from the pics i saw... gotta love the irony, your X gets truck of the month right when your going to sell it. keep us posted on the first gen, ill have some picks of my truck up soon so you guys can see what i have going so far. later :bash:

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
whitebowtie9 said:

oh yeah i checked it out in my free time, it looks good from the pics i saw... gotta love the irony, your X gets truck of the month right when your going to sell it. keep us posted on the first gen, ill have some picks of my truck up soon so you guys can see what i have going so far. later :bash:
Well atleast I still owned it when it got picked....lol...now that would be funny...I sell it and the next month it would get picked.
that would be funny....

by the way guys...
ITS STILL FOR SALE!!!
:evilg:

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
xtremer-pxl said:

Well atleast I still owned it when it got picked....lol...now that would be funny...I sell it and the next month it would get picked.
that would be funny....

by the way guys...
ITS STILL FOR SALE!!!
:evilg:
yeah well now you can use that as a selling feature ... "was posted as truck of the month on s10forum.com"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts