S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve about had it with trying to remove this transmission on this truck. Anyway that’s another story.

So my next days off I’m gonna take the front clip off and slide the whole flipping motor and transmission out. I was going to go ahead and replace the rear main seal as well as the oil pan gasket. I’m going to also try to find where the coolant leak is that I’ve had for 10 years.

What else would you do to an engine that has 180k miles on it if you were pulling it anyway. It runs good would it be worth it to change the intake / exhaust / head gaskets? What about the timing chain, sprockets, guides, tensioner? It’s the factory original I’m basically the original owner of the truck. I bought it used the dude that had it before me only had it 6 months and he sold it for a bigger truck.

My wife decided affirmatively she does not want me to junk it she said to put the money into it.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Timing set wouldnt be a bad idea with the engine out..
Of course you could freshen up the oil pan gasket as well as valve cover gasket.
Front and rear main seals on crank.
Find the coolant leak before you do any R & R on the engine as you may have a hidden crack in the block or something.

·
Registered
556 Posts
when you get it out, and onto the engine stand, you can take everything off except the cylinder head. from there you can clean and inspect everything. you could, even drop the engine off at a local machine shop and have them hone and install new rings for a almost zero mileage engine. summit sells a brand new replacement cylinder head for under $300. it really just depends on what you want to do with the engine while you have it out. I was right where you are about 2 years ago. instead i bought a rolled tahoe and did an v8 swap..meaning things can get out of hand real quick if you let them.

·
time to get cereal
3,916 Posts
Why "everything except for the cylinder head"? You can take that off on an engine stand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when you get it out, and onto the engine stand, you can take everything off except the cylinder head. from there you can clean and inspect everything. you could, even drop the engine off at a local machine shop and have them hone and install new rings for a almost zero mileage engine. summit sells a brand new replacement cylinder head for under $300. it really just depends on what you want to do with the engine while you have it out. I was right where you are about 2 years ago. instead i bought a rolled tahoe and did an v8 swap..meaning things can get out of hand real quick if you let them.
I’d love to do an LS swap! I’ve heard it’s a real pain in the butt. I’ve also heard it’s relatively easy. However my daughter who is a young adult is about to get her drivers license. She wants to learn to drive a stick shift and will occasionally drive this truck. My wife well let’s just say if it’s “fast” she will drive it fast!!!! 😂.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I’d love to do an LS swap! I’ve heard it’s a real pain in the butt. I’ve also heard it’s relatively easy.
hard and easy is relative to the person doing the job.

However my daughter who is a young adult is about to get her drivers license.
i built my daughter a V8 swapped 1987 blazer for her 16th birthday. shes 21 now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts