S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 S10. I am wanting to pull the steering wheel and put a custom wheel on. Does anyone know the safest way to pull it with out setting it off. And does anyone know if the grant billet adapter 5196-1 will fit? Thanks in advance.
Monty

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've never taken a s10 airbag out, but I guess they're all the same. First disconnect the negative cable on your battery, and make sure it can't fall back down and make a connection. Wait 15-20 minutes for the ecu to clear and you should be ready to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 97 S10. I am wanting to pull the steering wheel and put a custom wheel on. Does anyone know the safest way to pull it with out setting it off. And does anyone know if the grant billet adapter 5196-1 will fit? Thanks in advance.
Monty

Hey I have a question what adapter did you use and did you have any trouble..Thanks

·
Mr Cheech
2,399 Posts
when replacing the stock steering wheel with an afternarket wheel like a billtet wheel, will the airbag light on the dash stay on?

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
yea it should... and not to be a tool, but thats incredibly illegal... not like my truck is legal, but thats one thing i wouldnt do... if you get into an accident, and ur insurance co. sees u tampered or removed safety equipment, ull never get car insurance again... or at least thats what my ins. co. told me

·
aka Goodie
217 Posts
that sucks.... but i want to put another steering wheel in it bad....

yea it should... and not to be a tool, but thats incredibly illegal... not like my truck is legal, but thats one thing i wouldnt do... if you get into an accident, and ur insurance co. sees u tampered or removed safety equipment, ull never get car insurance again... or at least thats what my ins. co. told me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that sucks.... but i want to put another steering wheel in it bad....
The insurance company might not like it too well, but I checked with the inspection station here in Texas and they said it is fine, that it would pass inspection with out it. Just don't get into an accident!! :)

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
yea, i did know that inspection wouldnt be a problem, cuz airbags are not a failure item unless the bag is deployed and hanging out lol... i want to change mine too, but thats a little risky if you ask me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, i did know that inspection wouldnt be a problem, cuz airbags are not a failure item unless the bag is deployed and hanging out lol... i want to change mine too, but thats a little risky if you ask me
Oh well. I like living on the wild side. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts