S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i started pullin my transfer case around noon today and had it totally out by 130. i was thinking of taking it to this transmission shop to have them install my sye kit and front output shaft but they wanted $480 to do that & rebuild it. i started pulling it apart and was able to replace all but 2 bearings which are somewhere inside the planetary set somewhere, and the front seal which i havent been able to pull apart but i think the bearings that i have are supposed to go in there. the entire install was pretty easy except for that. you need a good set of snap ring pliers but other than that everything goes together like a shish-kabob (sp?) with snap rings. i got everything together except for those 2 bearings which i need to figure out how to pull, and i decided i want to get the 2wd low range kit, so i am going to order that tomorrow. when i ordered all this stuff i also ordered the jeep style front output shaft that takes a u-joint. now i dont know where the hell the yoke is that it came with for the front. i have everything except that yoke and the gasket for the trans to t-case. i also found a tube that had a hole worn in it. i think it is a vent tube but i think it got worn out when the rear motor mount broke because i could see where it hit the bottom of the body heh. so i think i can find a length of tube at my work to replace that. i was also thinking i can ditch the vacuum stuff that goes out of the top of the transfer case. i dont think i need it anymore cuz i dont need it with my sfa. i dont know where the rest of the tubes go cuz 3 come out of the transfer case, i think only one goes to that vacuum thing under the battery and i dont know where the rest go...

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
pyros46290 said:
i dont know where the rest of the tubes go cuz 3 come out of the transfer case, i think only one goes to that vacuum thing under the battery and i dont know where the rest go...
1 is vacuum from the engine, 1 is vacuum to the front axle and the last one is a breather (at least that's how things are on a 1st gen).

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is another tube that was broken and i think that one is the vent tube. it is a larger diameter and is not part of the 3 tube hook-up. could it have 2 breathers?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so i was lookin at the shifter and i think im gonna have to modify it for the 2wd low range kit that i got. the shift pattern now is
2H
4H
N
4L

with the 2wd low kit it will be
2H
4H
N
4L
2L <-this is what i need to change my shifter for. it has notches for only 4 positions, not 5. so i either gotta cut mine up and modify it which i think im gonna do, or buy a cool shifter from summit or something. any cable shifter will do as long as it has 5 positions, right??

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
i believe that other line ties into the breather also, that's how it looks on the t-case sitting next to me (don't ask).

as for the 2wd lo kit, do you have instructions? i don't think a cable shifter for a tranny will work, the t-case doesn't engage as easily/smoothly as an auto tranny does.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i was looking around and you were right, one is for the breather. the broken tube i got goes into a T fitting on the breather tube out of the thing with 3 tubes. i also took my shifter out and cut and welded another notch into it so now my shifter has a 2 Low position. the center console dont sit on it too well but o well. i will see how it works when i get it all together

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its all in peices. i had to take the case halves down to a tranny shop so they could press some old bearings out and new bearings in. im still waiting for my rims to go on my 9" also...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts