S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Been there Done it
14,856 Posts
Color of puff of smoke? Year and engine? If it's just a puff of white it could be water vapor that accumulated in the exhaust piping. If it's just a puff of black it could be a bit to much fuel on startup. No harm.
How long does it last and is it mostly transparent or is it a cloud?

·
Registered
28 Posts
First in the morning or setting most of the day a puff of smokes comes out has gotten a little worse over last several months
My ‘86 shoots a puff of blue smoke when I start it sometimes too. Mine I think is caused by bad valve seals so when it sits a little oil gets in the cylinder then burns off when I start it. It sounds like a pretty common theme with 80’s GM from what I’ve heard. I just check the oil often and keep it topped off and haven’t had any issues.

·
Registered
283 Posts
First in the morning or setting most of the day a puff of smokes comes out has gotten a little worse over last several months
I have a touch of emphysema that sorta acts that way even tho stopped smoking 3 decades ago. Almost afraid to pursue the cause which undoubtedly linked to aging components.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If it's Blu and cyl heads never been touched, olden sten seals likely crumbled.
Cats don't like extra oil much at all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
^^^ yup, thinking the same thing^^^, valve seals.
Drain 1 quart of oil and replace it with a quart of ATF or Risoline or something of your choice.
I prefer ATF, but that's just me.
Drive the vehicle for a couple days or a week, then do an oil change with new oil and oil filter.
Substitute 1qt oil with a valve seal conditioner such as Lucas engine oil stop leak, Liquimoly oil stop leak, etc.
And you should probably add a quart of Lucas or LiquiMoly at each future oil change.
Before adding the oil additive, you should start with new oil and a filter.
But it's not a huge problem to have the heads reworked at a machine shop. That'd stop the problem all together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts