S-10 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 687 Posts

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
The answer to that question depends on whether or not you like lumpy bodywork :haha:

Haven't had much time to work on it lately, but I did get some sanding done today. I guess that primer had to dry for a few days before it could be sanded off. Anyway I got a lot done tonight and hopefully will get more done after work tomorrow.

Here's the tailgate after the first round of sanding. There were several low spots so I had to do another layer of bondo.

Found a use for that can of Krylon after all :haha:

Passenger's side taillight block sanded. There's a few low spots so I'll have to do some more filler work.

Bumper extension holes are pretty much good to go. Ready for glazing putty.

Driver's side taillight blocked. There's a bit of a high spot where the fiberglass is showing thru, but other than that it's ready for glazing putty.

More filler and lots of sanding on the tailgate. I made the filler a little too thick after all the low spots last time so I'll be sanding on this one for a while.

Going for the white-over-black two tone fade :haha: You can see all the specs of dust in the air and this is over an hour after I stopped sanding.

I was thinking about skipping the Sonic cruise since the progress was going so slow, but I've decided that I still wanna go, even if I don't get the bodywork finished. I'll drive it while it's fugly and make the best of it :cool:

·
What y'all watchin HOES!?
3,638 Posts
nice work. Only thing I can pick out by what I can see, make sure the bondo is off the paint before glazing putty, You don't want any of it on top of paint. Glazing putty is OK to do that with, just block the edges only before putty, then skim the whole thing. Try not to putty over anything more course than 80 grit scratches too.

Keep at it :tup:

·
Bowtie FTW
1,161 Posts
I was thinking about skipping the Sonic cruise since the progress was going so slow, but I've decided that I still wanna go, even if I don't get the bodywork finished. I'll drive it while it's fugly and make the best of it :cool:
glad to hear that your gonna make the sonics cruise. i really like how you did your lights.... im thinking of stealing your idea but in a different way...

·
I'll Miss Ya Red!!!
2,963 Posts
Looking good man! Got me wanting to get out in the garage and start messing with mine!

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks guys! I was planning on getting some more work done after work today, but fell asleep and didn't wake up till like 11pm :haha: Gonna do as much as I can tomorrow before the Sonic cruise.

Pete, any tips for knocking down that fiberglass high spot on the driver's side? Seems like the fiberglass is harder than the surrounding filler, so the more I sand the worse it gets. Also, is there any particular brand of glazing putty you recommend? Should I get catalyzed or non-catalyzed? And I just skim the whole area including paint edges using a bondo spreader, then after it dries block sand with 180 till it's smooth, right? I've never used the stuff before so these are probably all stupid questions :haha:

·
3,638 Posts
Thanks guys! I was planning on getting some more work done after work today, but fell asleep and didn't wake up till like 11pm :haha: Gonna do as much as I can tomorrow before the Sonic cruise.

Pete, any tips for knocking down that fiberglass high spot on the driver's side? Seems like the fiberglass is harder than the surrounding filler, so the more I sand the worse it gets. Also, is there any particular brand of glazing putty you recommend? Should I get catalyzed or non-catalyzed? And I just skim the whole area including paint edges using a bondo spreader, then after it dries block sand with 180 till it's smooth, right? I've never used the stuff before so these are probably all stupid questions :haha:
Just sand it down with the hard small block using some 80, it will make a flat spot, that you will have to build back up on the next coat, but it will get rid of the pesky high spot.

Use this stuff. It is catalyzed, you never want to use the 1 part stuff unless it's for filling pinholes. (in very small amounts) You pretty much got the right idea for application. Feather out your sand scratches on the paint with 180 then spread a skim coat over the entire sanded area. You want enough on the 180'd paint to have a smooth transition from paint to metal to filler.

Just like the filler, spread it on pushing real hard on the spreader to get a nice even coat, then go back over it with less pressure adding more putty to the area, do 1 side at a time (spreading) so you can take your time and spread it so that you don't have a million spreader ridges and it looks nice and smooth. Then do the other side, or wait till you finish sanding the 1 side before even spreading the other..... reason being, this stuff hardens even harder than the filler does. So you want to sand it out within 20 minutes or so. If you let it sit for a couple hours or overnight, you will be pissed at yourself for doing so. Trust me.

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Long overdue update. Didn't get to work on the truck any during the week, but I did get some work last night and today.

Finally got around to installing my ZQ8 rear swaybar last night:

I threw the truck through some twisties today and it's a hell of a lot more stable in the corners now. How GM let any of these trucks out the door without one is beyond me.

This evening I finished blocking out the filler on the tailgate and rattlecan primed it. Money's tight at the moment but it'll prevent rust till I can put some real primer on it. Don't worry, it'll get real primer before it gets painted. The first pic turned out kinda dark because of the license plate reflection

The primer's not fully dry in this pic so that's why it looks kinda splotchy. We'll see how it looks in the daylight tomorrow...

·
3,638 Posts
Good stuff, Jay. When you think you'll be done with the blocks? I got some body work to do comin up pretty soon. Maybe like in 2 weeks or so

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'll try to get done by then, just give me a call when you need them back. I've been kinda lacking motivation lately but I'll try and get it finished up soon, since at this point I'm tired of ****ing with it and just want to drive my truck again :haha: Also I might need a little assistance on the passenger side tail light filler. I'm getting a couple metal high spots poking thru the filler, and I'm sure a RBFH probably wouldn't be an appropriate tool for the job :haha:

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Worked my ass off tonight finishing the body work on the driver's side. Did my best to get a soft edge on the primer, but it didn't exactly turn out even. Also got two runs in the primer that I'll have to sand out and touch up. Good enough for now tho, but I'll probably block it again when I get ready for paint.

(BTW the primer isn't fully dry in this pic, that's why it looks splotchy)

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Finally finished. Ok well it's not perfect, but good enough for now. It'll probably require a bit of rework when it's time for paint but for now I'm just glad to get to a stopping point. I'm totally sick of sanding and just want to start driving my truck again without having to swerve to avoid puddles, water sprinklers, etc :haha: Probably gonna re-prime the tailgate since it's got a few funky looking spots, and I might wetsand the primer on the rear quarters to take care of some dry spray.

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks man! There's a few spots I'm not happy with but I should be able to take care of them with glazing putty when I prep the truck for paint.

41 - 60 of 687 Posts