S-10 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 687 Posts

·
is a Prick.
843 Posts
Ok so I need to pick up a foam block and a rubber hard block, what should I use each one for? What grits of paper should I use for block sanding?
Start with 40 on a short block to rough out, only for a bit, then move to 80, then 120/180. Once you're happy withthe shape, smooth out the 180 scratches with 320

My plan was to DA the filler with 80 grit to get it to the rough shape I need, then DA again with 120 to take down most of the 80 grit sanding scratches.
NEVER use a DA on filler, it turns and moves way to fast for precision work, and I gaurentee, I put $10 on the table, if you use a DA on such a curved surface you'll create at least one low spot.

What should I start blocking with? Also would it hurt if I spray the work with some cheap rattlecan primer to use as a guide coat for block sanding?
No, using the guide coat is an awesome idea! Now, it's not gonna help so much for large low spots since you're workign with a curved surface, but it'll help identify smaller lows.

I'm thinking about picking up a quart kit of this stuff to use as a sealer once all the bodywork is done:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Qt...318QQhashZitem190242484652QQitemZ190242484652
Any experience with that brand? Would I be better off getting gray or red oxide sealer since the truck will be painted black (I figure it might be kinda hard to spray black paint over black sealer)?
The only difficulty with spraying black paint of black sealer would be if you can't tell where you've been and missed a spot, and if you're painting correctly, you shouldn't have that problem.

Kustom Shops not bad, personally I prefer PPG (or Sherwin-Williams if I can't get anything else) over it though, but thats just my personal preference based on mixings and spraying.

Hope thats helpful!

·
What y'all watchin HOES!?
3,638 Posts
Yeah pretty much what he said. YOu can use your 40 grit on the DA just to knock down the spreader ridges, but pretty much stick with the blocks. YOu will also need a med length block for the gate. Come by Today at like 6:00 of you can, and I will show you how and where to use em

·
I'll Miss Ya Red!!!
2,963 Posts
What'a You Driving while You're shavign the tails?

·
3,638 Posts
The new style tail lights are in the rollpan now. Later I believe the truck is coming back for a weld on rollpan with the lights frenched.

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
TheFue, thanks for the info!

Pete, thanks for the crash course on block sanding today. I'll probably be pestering you with questions all weekend :haha:

dawgnutz, who needs taillights? I'm a hardcore minitrucker, fuk da police! Just kidding :p the truck is still drivable since I have taillights mounted in the rollpan, but for the most part I've been driving my wife's Saturn around lately.

Gary, thanks for the props! Yeah I took this week off work. Michelle's pissed since I've pretty much spent my whole vacation in the garage, and keep tripping circuit breakers with the air compressor :haha:

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
:woot: DONE! And presenting the "top secret" tails that I was keeping under wraps...

Ok not really :p Got everything rough sanded and picked up some black rattlecan primer to use as a guide coat. Decided to really hose it on to get an idea of what the finished product might look like. Then thought it might make a funny pic. Spent way too long trying to get a decent pic of the truck (took probably 30 pics) and ran outta daylight :doh: Don't worry, the rattlecan stuff will all be sanded off, and it's gonna be a lot smoother before I'm done with it. And yes I know one tail light is in crooked, gonna fix that later on. I've got a lot of sanding ahead of me....

·
I'll Miss Ya Red!!!
2,963 Posts
Nice man! I dig. Are those pontiac tails?

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
'41-'48 Chevy tails actually. They were surprisingly cheap, but I'd never seen a set on an S-10 before and I felt they fit the "old school" theme of the truck perfectly. Hopefully in the next few months, I'll be able to get a weld-on rollpan (with the compound curve, I'm done trying to recreate curves with fiberglass :haha:) and the frenching buckets for my tails, and get the ass end really smoothed out. Also eventually planning on shaving the door handles and windshield squirters, and possibly the third brake light, and cab seams. Also been kicking around the idea of filling in the extended cab windows and getting a section of the rear cab sheetmetal from a late '60s Chevy truck (with the small back window) and welding it in place of the stock rear glass. Not sure if I wanna go that far tho. It'd look freakin' badass but I'm not building a show truck here, just a really tricked out daily driver, that's still gonna be used as a truck from time to time...

·
3,638 Posts
Good work, Jay. Sh^t gets old real fast huh? the sanding and sanding and sanding. :haha: That's a lot of ideas for that truck, you know where to go for install or execution of any of it....

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok so the rattlecan primer for a guidecoat was a bad idea. All it does is clog up the sandpaper. Now to find some place that has adhesive-backed sandpaper that's open on weekends...

·
3,638 Posts
haha, what brand did you use? if you are using it for guide coat you just want a mist on there. You don't really need it til it's really close to being finished if you don't trust your hands as a guide.

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I just used some Krylon stuff that I had laying around the garage. I shoulda known better :doh: Hopefully Downing will be open tomorrow so I can pick up a couple rolls of sandpaper and try to get some work done tomorrow. My new goal is to have it in primer by next weekend for the Sonic cruise...

·
is a Prick.
843 Posts
NICE those taillights look sick...

Blue dots in 'em?

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
i like the direction you're heading man.
Thanks! Just goes to show that there's more to the "old school" look than flat black paint and red wheels (why does everyone feel the need to do this?) or funky pastel colors...
NICE those taillights look sick...

Blue dots in 'em?
Thanks! Thought about blue dots, but worried about the legality of them here in CA. Considering the LED retrofit in the future as well...
looks good man

on a side note speedwaymotors sells buckets to french those tails in, made of good ole steel too
I'm planning on picking up a set of those once I get a weld-in rollpan. Taking small steps due to limited funds, but it's slowly coming together :)

21 - 40 of 687 Posts