S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rebel Devil
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 02 Blazer X and i was wandering what the pros and cons of cutting the Cat. Convertor off? I have heard that it will mess with my computer and the way the engine works.

:drinkhaha

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Well... I guess you obviously want someone to post, so I guess I'd say it is good because you get better flow, but it is illegal. I would say either do it yourself, or good luck finding a shop to do it (illegal to even change the cat before 5 yrs or 50,000 miles unless it is defective). Maybe my post will bump it so someone who actually knows something will post :D . BTW, I ordered a high flow cat, but I haven't gotten it yet, so I can't tell you whether it is any better. I have heard getting rid of the cat is good, but I don't have any experience w/ it.

DogP

·
Rebel Devil
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea backpressure is one of my conserns, oh and about the smog checks, i live in Arkansas no one here gives a f**k about that!

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
As far as cutting your cat is concerened......DON'T!! A: It will not be that much louder, B: 4.3's like a high velocity exhuast flow. Yes you will increase the flow but at the expense of velocity which aids in cylinder scavenging. This will kill low end torque to the point you will feel. C: It's illegal. At least in New York. I dont know about Ark but if you have annual or Biannual emission checks you can be fined if the truck fails the emission test. Do yourself a favor and spend the money on a high flow cat if your that hell bent on getting every ounce out of that motor. For 85$ why screw with it. If its worth doing its worth doing right. Your truck will run better and the squirrles will thank you for it. Just some advice. P.S Dyno numbers prove the truck will make more power with a hi flow cat than a hollowed out one. Hope this helps:nono:

·
Rebel Devil
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea, thanks alot, as for emmision tests, why dont have them!!!!
ill probably just buy a high flow cat then, got any ideas where i can get a good deal on one?

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
Summit, Jegs...Check around. Last one I bought I paid 90 bucks for plus tax.....Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts