S-10 Forum banner
821 - 840 of 1599 Posts

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #821 ·
Alright... pic update.

Lift spindles drilled/tapped and stock caliper mounting ears cut off (not many people would have the balls to chop up these expensive spindles!)

Hub, disc, and caliper mocked up. Pretty sure I've never seen a brake conversion on a lift spindle before

Side by side comparison

Still have to build the brackets, do a little grinding on the spindles to clean them up a little bit, modify the caliper bridge/brackets, then paint everything. Then it should all be ready for install.

Yesterday I finished the grinding/feathering/sanding on the other three 18s

Then sprayed them flat black. They turned out awesome :)

I still need to sand and spray the center caps, so I hope to get to that today. I may also get some work done on the brackets, and maybe even get to the leafs if I get enough time

·
Flame It ALL
8,853 Posts
Wheels look awesome Brent!

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #824 ·
Thanks guys! I'm almost debating re-sanding the 4th wheel because these actually turned out a lot better than that one lol

I am also considering doing a red pinstripe around the outside edge of the wheels. The calipers will be red with black bridge/brackets so I thought a red pinstripe would compliment that nicely. What do you guys think?

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
Worked on this a little more last night. Got the 3 center caps sanded down with the help of a buddy and then prep-sol'd them and sprayed 1 coat. It took a while to dry though so the 2nd coat will have to go on tonight. I also started messing with getting the bushings out of the leafs, but I need to get an air hammer before I can really make any more progress on those

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #834 ·
Stock 2wd leafs (truck currently has mono'd ZQ8 leafs), flip the axle under the leaf, and lift shackles. I'm hoping it will set level with the front, but I may have to do some tweaking to get it to sit where I want

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #836 ·
Awesome man, thanks. Just have to find the hood first lol.
Haha sounds good. You could go the route I did and get a brand new GM one. Only had to find an Isuzu dealership first and then pay $650 for it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Haha sounds good. You could go the route I did and get a brand new GM one. Only had to find an Isuzu dealership first and then pay $650 for it :rolleyes:
I would have to say at this point in time the funds are not there to do that lol:(. I still need to finish my abs delete and figure out some inner fenders.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #838 ·
lol yeah I'm not saying you should do that, just kind of a warning not to follow the path I did on that one lol

You can pick up a reproduction Hombre hood on eBay for around $100, or find a used one at a junkyard for around the same price

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #839 ·
Hoping to get the leaf bushings done tonight, and then the brake conversion stuff finalized between tomorrow and Sunday so that come next Wed when I start tearing the truck down everything will be good to go. At some point I'll need to get the tires mounted too

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
Well, the Holidays turned out a little different than I planned. I had two 4-day weekends for Christmas and New Years, but really didn't get much of anything done on the truck, other than getting the tires mounted on the 18s. I wanted to have everything done by now but on the other hand it was nice to have 2 long, fun, relaxing weekends with my family and friends.

Work will probably resume slowly, but I'm hoping to tie up the loose ends this week and next week, so that hopefully the weekend of the 13-15th I can get the lift done. Loose ends left to do would be some finish grinding on the spindles followed by paint, then build the adapter brackets and paint, grind the caliper brackets and paint, attach the extended braided brake lines to the calipers after paint, install new bearings/grease the hubs, assemble full brake setup on spindles, swap bushings out in leafs (paint in between old and new) and flip the center leaf bolt, prep and paint lift shackles, then lastly prep and paint the shock brackets and buttons. Then when it comes time to install I will swap the stock spindles/brakes for the lift spindles/big brakes then install shocks, set the toe, and the front will be done.

Out back will take much longer because I'll need to pull the bed to do most of the work. I may end up pulling the whole axle and just throwing the axle from the crew cab in the truck and putting it in the driveway so as to have space to work on everything in the garage. While it is out I have to disassemble the brakes, pull the diff cover, pull the axles, then build the brackets to mount the Blazer calipers on the Fbody discs. With the axle out/apart I will also need to weld the new leaf mount pads on the top of the axle for the flip. Then everything will get painted and reassembled, with a new pinion seal going in and the diff getting re-sealed. From that point I'll pull the truck back in, pull the old leafs and the rear bags, reassemble everything, re-install the ViAir, then put the bed back on and she'll be good to go

Here's pics of the tires mounted:

821 - 840 of 1599 Posts