S-10 Forum banner

621 - 640 of 1599 Posts

·
DELIBERATE DESIGNS
8,142 Posts
Nice man,

On that rear diff vent. You can pop it out with some vise grips and thread it with a 3/8 npt tap. It's already the standard 7/16 hole so you don't even have to drill it out.

Just throw a magnet behind the hole while you tap it to catch the shavings.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #624
Nice man,

On that rear diff vent. You can pop it out with some vise grips and thread it with a 3/8 npt tap. It's already the standard 7/16 hole so you don't even have to drill it out.

Just throw a magnet behind the hole while you tap it to catch the shavings.
Awesome... thanks for the tip :tup:

Only problem is... I already sealed the cover on the rear so I can't get a magnet in there (I only noticed it was missing after the rear was completely back together).

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #625
Get the driveshaft installed
Fix the diff breather tube (it rusted off... gonna cut the one off the old rear and weld it on)
Fill the rear with fluid
Install new/stock dipstick tube and stock dipstick
Re-install passenger side exhaust manifold with new gasket
Install stock y-pipe (temporary to get the truck driving)
Install cat and 3rd O2 sensor (temporary until I pass emissions and get a new y-pipe built)
Install Flowmaster
Mark zq8 frame brace for tank bracket to weld to, weld on bracket, paint, mount tank
Drill/tap 1/8"NPT holes in brass 1/2" NPT tee fittings for 1/8" gauge fittings
Finish recessing radiator into core support
Mount Taurus fan to radiator/core support
Teflon tape/connect/mount fittings & valves
Well, didn't get the WHOLE list done last night, but did make a lot of progress. I installed the driveshaft, then the dipstick tube followed by the passenger manifold. Then I went to put all the stock exhaust together, with the addition of the flowmaster in place of the stock huge-mongis one. HOWEVER, when putting the stock Y-pipe back on I realized that if I rotated it back and up (pivoting on the donut bushing/insulators that sandwich between the y-pipe and manifolds) that it darn near cleared the scrub line. There is maybe 1/8-1/4" that hangs below the frame and it's only on the drivers side. So using this newfound discovery I took parts of the old exhaust system (I had saved every piece I cut off the truck from the Y-pipe all the way back to the tailpipe) and was able to build the entire exhaust system, eliminating the cat/3rd O2 and incorporating the flowmaster mounted under the back of the cab. I even had enough material/bends to make my own turndown after the muffler :) I re-used one of the factory mount bushings welded to the muffler in the rear and the entire system is very solid and is fully welded and should have zero leaks, which I must say, I'm pretty proud of. I'm excited to finally fire this thing up again and hear how it sounds

Tonight I will be working on it again, and the plan for the night is as follows:

Fix diff breather
Fill diff with fluid
Finish mounting tank
Recess radiator into core support
Mount eFan
Install air fittings/valves; plumb & wire

Then Friday night I'll have the whole night to wrap up the drivers side suspension (which shouldn't take too long) and work on the pass side. I won't have to work Sat but in the morning I will be taking my POS Avenger to the junkyard to net $300, but then after that I will have all day/night for the truck. If I (by some miracle) have it driving late Sat afternoon I may be able to get to the emissions place then, but I'm not planning on that. Sunday I'll have most of the day as well to work on it, and if I can't get to the emissions place on Sat I won't be able to drive it until Tuesday because the emissions place is closed Monday and doesn't open til 9 on Tuesday. So right now I'm shooting for Saturday afternoon to have it driving but I still have the buffer of Sunday and Monday night to work on it and have it driving for Tuesday.

I'll make it a priority to get pics of stuff for you guys tonight

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
No progress from last night. I got home a little later and by the time I had eaten dinner I was a few beers in and only had time to straighten up the garage by the time my wife was home from school and then she needed help with some house chores and the baby and stuff because she's having a Pampered Chef party tonight and was trying to prepare for it. Tonight I have my buddy coming over to help (and maybe another one or two as well) so there should be good amounts of progress. Then in the morning tomorrow we will be bringing my Avenger to the junkyard and then I'll be working on the truck the rest of the day/night, hopefully getting lots and lots done

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #630
We need a Update! :p
Welcome to the site, and thanks for making your first post in my thread :D

I got a lot done over the weekend, although it may not seem like it to the average eye... and that seems to be the recurring situation right now. First and foremost, the air management is almost completely installed, minus being wired. The tank is fully mounted, all the fittings/connections/valves are teflon taped/tightened/mounted, and all the air lines are run including the gauge lines up to the pillar pod. I ran the EDC leader hose through the inside of the drivers side frame rail, and the air line to the drivers front bag outside the rail, coming into the rail through the spot in the frame where the fuel lines would enter through on a first gen (I drilled a hole there) so that the hot compressor line doesn't come into contact with the bag line. Everything holds air excellently with no detectable leaks. The rear 1/2" fill valve did leak slightly (I knew about this because it was the valve I used on the front of the '95 and I would come out in the morning to the front bags aired up [which one time when I forgot to leave that truck in gear or set the parking brake and I came out in the morning to find my truck in the middle of the street lol]). I took apart the valve and cleaned it out as best as I could and I definately noticed a difference, but it does still seem to allow some air to pass through it. I'm not happy about it, but I kinda knew it could be a possibility, so that is why I put it in the rear.

I also was able to get both of the radiator hoses configured (had to splice both of them to match up to the Corvette radiator) and the trans cooler lines connected to the radiator as well. The radiator isn't mounted in the core support yet but at least the lines are figured out. I'm not sure if I will be able to get it recessed tonight or not but that is high on the priority list because I want to be able to fire the motor up to check the belt alignment on the EDC as well as test out the EDC. Plus I'd like to hear how my exhaust/flowmaster sound :)

Next I cut off the diff breather tube and welded on the one from the old rear. I tried to get it off with a vice grips like Jordan suggested but neither one would budge, so that's why I went the welding route. I'm sure some sparks/metal got down into the rear from cutting the old tube off so unfortunately I'll have to pull the cover (which is already sealed) and clean it out again, however, I finally found a chrome cover for the 8.5" at Auto Zone so I may pick that up since I originally wanted one and couldn't find one and it comes with a new gasket and chrome/stainless bolts for $27. Then the diff can get filled.

I picked up a pair of Energy Suspension sway bar end links for the rear sway bar and am going to try to make that work if I get time.

What I'm currently working on is mounting the SD7 on the motor as well as mounting the oiler to the firewall, however my crappy cordless drill only drills one hole before the battery is dead so making the mounting bracket is taking a little longer than I had hoped lol. While I wait for the battery to charge I've been working on the drivers side spring pocket and it is done other than grinding/smoothing, some touch-up welding, and paint, so hopefully tonight that will be completely together tonight (including the tie rod notch, but not shocks until the front end is back together and the inner fenders are in).

I'm hoping to also get the passenger side front suspension done as well so that, in addition to mounting the core support/rad, by the end of the night the truck can be laying out with all of the suspension completed (again, minus front shocks) and the air management completely installed and functioning minus wiring. Then the motor can be fired to fill the tank via the EDC, check the coolant flow/level/dispersal and for any leaks, check the trans cooler connections/fluid level and for any leaks, check the exhaust for leaks, and verify that the W4M tune works. Then once air is in the tank all 4 bags can be filled via the valves to check how well things hold air (I've already checked the rear and it's good).

Then tomorrow I'll wire up the switchbox to the valves, wire up the compressor, re-assemble the front end, put the interior back together, and then I can test-drive. Then if there's time the bed/tailgate/bumper will go back on and the truck will get cleaned but I'm thinking at this point that I will shoot for Wed night to re-install the bed and clean the truck so that I'm not packing too much into tomorrow night. Then Thurs morning drive to the BMV and then head to work in my freshly bagged truck :D

I have been taking pictures of things, just haven't had time to get them off the camera and onto the computer. It will be soon though!

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #631
Yesterday I ran some errands on my lunch break and after work. I picked up a chrome diff cover for the 8.5" rear, and also the wiring harness and and mount kit to put my JVC radio in the truck (because the power to the compressor and switches will come from the ignition power wire to the radio).

I wasn't able to get out to the garage until 8:30 unfortunately because of the errands and having to pick up my wife (since we're sharing her trailblazer) and then coming home and changing the pre-filter on our water softener, then making dinner and doing the dishes, etc.

Once out in the garage I was able to do a few small piddly things like put the air bag and steering column covers back together as well as mount the radio into the installation kit HOWEVER the tab on the passenger side of the kit snapped off when I put the dash trim piece back on because the trim ring on the radio is wider than the dash opening and it put so much pressure on it that it snapped it off :( So now I have a $20 mount kit that is broken and flops around in the dash

That was pretty much the extent of what I got done because after getting only 4 hours of sleep Sun night and having a few beers I became worthless for doing anything productive. Around 10 I decided it would be nice to come in early and get a good long nights rest but for whatever reason I still didn't end up getting to bed til 1am... so needless to say I'm running on about 4.5 hours of sleep again today :( I just took a 5 hour energy so hopefully that will get me home and I might nap for an hour or so before heading out in the garage tonight

On a side note... I took my Avenger to the junkyard Sat for a gain of $300. I have a video clip I took of the rod knock and I will upload that when I put up the pics I have so far (my phone won't email the file because it's too large :( )

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
Yeah I was happy to have gotten $300 for the car lol

And for all you guys askin for pics, since I feel bad that my thread has been super lame and pic-less lately I snapped this one on my way out the door this morning

·
DELIBERATE DESIGNS
8,142 Posts
How well do you think that bag on leaf is gonna ride?

Did you go with the mono for better articulation (to compensate for the road unevenness) instead of a rigid 2 link? Thats really the only thing I could think of for the mono instead of the 2 link.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #639
How well do you think that bag on leaf is gonna ride?

Did you go with the mono for better articulation (to compensate for the road unevenness) instead of a rigid 2 link? Thats really the only thing I could think of for the mono instead of the 2 link.
I think the bag on leaf will actually ride really damn well. As it sits the leaf still has enough 'spring' left to it that it won't fully compress and set the axle on the frame without the weight of the bed/tailgate/bumper on the truck. So basically the bag is only functioning as a 'helper bag' to change the ride height of the leaf, but then since the bag is mounted between the axle and leaf mount even when the bag is fully inflated and rock hard (which would normally ride like a brick) the leaf still has spring to it and is decently soft

Can you explain what you mean by 'better articulation' and 'to compensate for the road unevenness'? I'm not quite sure what you mean with the way you're saying that

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
I would equate the way the bag-on-leaf system works to that of a hydraulic setup, where there is a coil spring that has a spring rate that is always constant, but then the hydraulic cylinder is able to adjust the height without affecting the spring rate/ride

621 - 640 of 1599 Posts
About this Discussion
1.6K Replies
162 Participants
tytotheler92
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing