S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
V8.cuz.big.girls.cant.run
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make things short I used to have an s10 with all the stuff in my signature below. Ran out of school money so I joined the military to fund my school and sold my s10. Ever since than I have been looking for a clean, rust free s10 to buy and with them getting to be decently old it was very hard.
Here was my old s10

The first swap I did was very rushed and poorly funded. It was my DD and I just needed to get it up and running again. This time I have 2 other DD's and I just found this 2003 S10 4x4 with the 4.3l V6 and it is going to be my long awaited for new toy...

Its a super clean truck that I got for a hell of a deal. So this is what im starting with. Things will go a lot slower this time but the overall plans will be similar. Ford 8.8 axle swap, probable AWD conversion for the strip(need to gather more info here), transmission rebuild and 5.7l swap! As far as appeareance I want to keep the truck mostly stock looking. Probably will get a roll pan and may try to find a better looking aftermarket front end but other than that I just want to have a nice every day small truck thats just fun as hell to drive!

·
It's "Neanderthal"
5,411 Posts
Wow that is a clean truck! Very rare in my neck of the rust belt.

·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea thats one of my favorite things so far living in the midwest! It only snows once a year and they throw sand on the roads not rock salt or some liquid chemical thats even worse. You rarely see rust here. The carfax for the truck said 1 owner all ten years, no reported accidents, and the truck was in kansas for 8 yrs and was in oklahoma for 2 years. First things first though! This weekend im flushing all the shit DEX-COOL out of the radiator. As far as my first project within a project I would really like to do the Ford 8.8 swap. I looked at the RPO codes in my glove box and the truck has 3.42's and not 3.73's im kind of bummed out about that. I was hoping i could just swap the 8.8 right in and not mess with the gears for the front since I have 0 experience with 4x4's but I guess nows a good time to learn. I have not done any research on it yet but how hard is it changing out the gears in the front? Would i need any special tools? Or could I just buy parts from a s10 that actually had 3.73's to make things easy?

·
Dreaming of Turbos....
3,796 Posts
Lsx swap > vortec 350 anyday!

·
Cornerin Demon
4,114 Posts
I have 0 experience with 4x4's but I guess nows a good time to learn. I have not done any research on it yet but how hard is it changing out the gears in the front? Would i need any special tools? Or could I just buy parts from a s10 that actually had 3.73's to make things easy?

i don't know a thing about front diffs, but if they are anything like rears then yes, you'll need special tools and know-how, it's vital about getting your pinion gear and ring depth correct or you'll break stuff... either input shaft, CV's or worse the differential it'self

those gears have to mesh just-so or they will be either too loose, or too tight

·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been doing a lot of reading on the ZR2USA forum and since I definitely want to have a more bulletproof 4x4 set up I would really like to do the bravada front axle swap and find some Iron front diff cases with some 3.73s for when I do my ford 8.8 swap. Seems like over there everybody is doing the bravada axle swap and trying to find iron differential cases. A lot of those guys take their trucks through some serious stuff though. I really only care about launching at the track but it would suck for my stock 4x4 set up to crap out at the track

·
Cornerin Demon
4,114 Posts
I really only care about launching at the track but it would suck for my stock 4x4 set up to crap out at the track
do the AWD setup then, you see how nasty all the typhoons and syclones are with it and 1.20s 60's ^.^

belive it has something to do with the Bravada van xfere case's

edit: found the info from Philntx, the Mod for building it right:

Syclone, Typhoon, Astro, Safari, and Bravada ALL share the same transfercase, the Borg-Warner 1372/4472. The only difference is the spline count on input or output shafts on earlier vs. later models. The torque is split 35 front/65 rear. From what i have researched they are rated at 1100ftlbs torque. Keep in mind that this torque rating and the one above is rated at the output of the transmission. 1100 ft-lbs isn't all that high. A 400 ft-lb motor and a 4L60e (3.06:1 1st gear) and you're already at 1225 ft-lbs. Multiply that by torque convertor torque multiplication factor (assume 1.9) and you get 2325 ft-lbs keeping in mind that max torque multiplication would only occur for a momentary period in time. There are Sy's and Ty's running 9's and 10's in the quarter on the stock transfercase (not the stock trannies though).

The only thing that separates 4wd from AWD is the transfer case. With all the s10 swaps being done these days, this is now an easy task. The Chevy Silverado SS and the Escalade (some other GM vehicles too) used an all mechanical AWD transfer case in there vehicles. Its the NVG-149 or also called the NP149. I believe it was used from about 2001-2005. Back when NVG's site was up, NVG spec'd this transfer case at 2203ft lbs torque in a 6800lb vehicle. I had the case in an 550hp supercharged escalade and never had any problems and know many people who run 800hp+ in their silverado SS's and have never had any problems. The NVG-149 is a single speed, full-time all wheel drive transfer case. It has a planetary differential gear set that splits the torque, normally 38 percent to the front wheels and 62 percent to the rear wheels and adjusts front to rear or vice versa depending on the wheels slipping. Take 1 S10 4x4 frame, any cab you can make fit, a NP149 and Voila!

·
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yay the air force was forced to cut tuition assistance today due to Congress not being able to reach a balanced budget...got to love the government. ****ing those who deserve and entitling those who don't!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts