S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many people from the north east know my truck and many followed my other build up thread

for my interior but now it is time to address the suspension again.

Here is a few pics of my truck:

This truck is simply known as the Cursed S10 or failboat etc... Ever since this truck was

painted i've had nothing but issues with it. Lets go with the rundown:

Backwoods Bash '08: I put on the wrong wheel spacers for my old Boss 304s and ended up

having the rim fall off and dent the fender when the lug nuts sheered off
Envy Frenzy '08: A fellow club member's drag block was ripped off when his truck wasn't

raised enough to get over a cement bridge and the block went into my 3rd door and debris

damaged the front of the hood
ITB '08: the drive there and back killed the bumper with rock chips, i installed a chrome

bumper and actually like it better
Feb '09: Took the truck out for a cruise with nice weather, it was hit and run outside my

friends house and damage my fender and bumper... that bill sucked!
Grounded 4 Life One Day Slam '09: HUGE dent in my rim on the ride down
Low Rollers '09: The support struts for my bed cover's bolt snapped and the arm swung down

and dug a HUGE scratch(down to metal) in the drivers bedside
Freaks of Nature Delaware Show '09: Dragged the gastank over a speed bump and put a leak in

it(rebent same rim on the ride home)

I repaired the tank and the original patch ripped out when i bottomed out in a toll plaza...

8gallons of gas all over my parents driveway(i feel sorry for the new owners when they move

in LOL)

I repaired the tank again and took it down to Drop Em's cruise in and thats when the FUN

started:

On the way there:

Tow strap breaks on 95 going over the Del Mem Bridge, borrowed a club members and made it

the rest of the way

Once there:

-go to the preparty, truck dies, the fuel pump fuse(ign1?) blew... put a new one in good to

go
-Lay out the truck in the hotel parking lot, kills the patch on the tank and gas all over

the lot, club members run to wally world and get me stuff to patch it while its on the

trailer
-Get to the show the next day, tried not to let the tank hit the ground and the patch STILL

gives, gas all over and the whole show smelled like gas due to me :(
-Get the truck on the trailer, on the way home, we stop for breakfast and notice my one

trailer tire is flat, go to wally world, put a patch in the tire and head on our way
-15 miles down the highway, the tire blows out and we put my buddys spare on it(i gave mine

to a former friend on the way to this show LAST year and i never got it back.. thanks

asshole)

So i finally go the truck home in my garage and its time for a TEARDOWN!!!

so here are the plans:

- Rear Disc Swap
- Steel Tank(Devious)
- Redo the air management (Currently have 5/8" line and 1/2" fills and 3/8" dumps... TOO

FAST and i hate touching switches so i'm putting flow controls on the lifts and dumps as

well as check valves!)
- Install my SD Uppers and Lowers and Sway Bar!!
- Retub the front as the "legit" shop that laid the truck out did a half as job and my truck

doesn't lay out in the front... what money well wasted...
- Redo the entire bed setup
- Redo some of the interior
- Clean up the engine bay and make it shiney!
- Ditch ABS and put in a chrome booster and master

So heres how the truck currently sits in my garage:

We got the bed off and went to install the devious tank that i received.

Step 1: Raise the damn front gas tank cross member!!!! Done!

Step 2: Modify the 5-Link gas tank member to fit the Devious Tank. Done!

Issue #1: The devious tank's filler neck port is 2" my truck with a plastic tank is 1

1/4"... It's location also puts it right to the bed mount with ZERO clearance.. not good!!

Issue #2: The fuel pump hole will not let me reuse the fuel pump gasket and the pump wont

fit in the hole with the gasket...

Issue #3: The fuel pump's location is in the wrong spot. The stock fuel lines will not get

to the pump without modifications and they are also going right over where the filler neck

connects... not a good idea

I'm not bashing Devious at all.. Yet... Jeff said that if I had any issues with the tank to

call him so I plan on calling them monday. I tried this morning but with SEMA and it being

a saturday, I didn't expect anyone to answer. My hope is that they will step up to the

plate and send me a new tank that is modified with the "corrected" fitment issues so that

anyone else buying one doesn't have them anymore...

Here you can see the tank fits in correctly, but it does have issues with the 5-link

wishbone.. I expected there to be some issues in that respect since i'm not using the

devious cross member that comes with the kit so i can not fault them at all on that... that

will be taken care of though...

Look at all that room!!!

While the bed is off, Rich(1/4MileCrazy) also noticed that my 5-link lift lift bar bracket

was installed wrong by the shop that originally bagged it(not the shop that "laid" it out)

If you notice it is farther back and not using the holes for the bumper... We also realized

that my rear might not be laying out due to the bags bottoming out. We are going to put the

largest tabs on and see if that helps, if not, custom tabs may have to be made that will

sacrifice lift but i'm not worried about lift.

With the rear out of our hands for now until i get a hold of Devious and my rear disc parts

in my hand, we moved to the front to check out what was up with the front.

On the driver side you can see that the tire hits the tub AND the brake booster. The

booster will be replaced so thats no biggy but I'm upset that this tire combination hits the

tub. I had asked for the truck to be laid out on 235/35/20's and i'm running 225/35/20s in

the front and that smaller tire isn't laying out....

Moving on to the passenger side, theres MORE issues...

Once again its rubbing on the tub:

And now this time, its rubing on the blower box:

Once again, i paid a good amount of money for this to be done correctly the first time and

it wasn't done right.. thanks... I feel bad because i recommended this shop to a buddy and

he is having the SAME issues with his truck not laying out also.

We did some more once overs and we noticed that the trans pan is DANGEROUSLY close to the

same level as the frame and front crossmember

Our plan is to install a smaller trans pan possibly from a camaro that way there is no

issues with dragging.

My goal with this truck is to drag the piss out of the frame! After the incident with the

drag block i want nothing to do with them anymore and honestly... they are dangerous!

Ohh.. and when removing the front cross member, i snapped the damn bolt for the strap... arg

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
they sent you a tank for the older pre-98 trucks.

the older trucks have a larger fuel inlet and a small overflow hose. they also have a metal crush ring pump, no plastic pump/sending unit at all.

but IMO you shouldn't have wasted your $ on that devious tank if you never even raised the front tank support to begin with. My little bro's truck has the plastic tank and i raised the front bracket and rear tank x-member and he hasn't dragged the tank at all.

·
DELIBERATE DESIGNS
8,142 Posts

the older trucks have a larger fuel inlet and a small overflow hose. they also have a metal crush ring pump, no plastic pump/sending unit at all.

but IMO you shouldn't have wasted your $ on that devious tank if you never even raised the front tank support to begin with. My little bro's truck has the plastic tank and i raised the front bracket and rear tank x-member and he hasn't dragged the tank at all.
I think he asumed that the shop had done it correctly.

Good luck man!

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The design is for any metal tank... i had a plastic tank so i knew there would possibly be SOME issues but Jeff said there wouldn't be.. You may think I wasted money on that tank and thats fine that's your opinion but like i said, I dont want to have ANY issues with this thing... pissing out gas and dragging is not smart and we've all seen what happened to that white s10... If a couple more bucks gets me a few inches higher from the ground when i drag then I'm all for it!

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got off the phone with Devious Customs.. They said no one has ever complained about the issues that I'm having with their tank and they want to know all the problems so that they can fix them for any other person who orders them with a plastic tank!

This is the type of customer service that I like to hear about!

·
Super Moderator
16,422 Posts
saweet! Glad to see you going through and doing some stuff you wanted to!

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff from Devious just sent me a shipping label to send the tank back to them so Ill do that saturday while I'm down at my garage. So basically its a week to ship from NJ to Cali then a week from Cali to NJ so i'll have my tank for hopefully the first weekend in December. Id have liked to have it earlier so I could make the truck driveable but hey... I'll take what I can get

My goal for this weekend is to rip the entire front end apart, at the least the hood and fenders.

I'll also be finally hooking up my compressor at my garage so that I can take the truck off jack stands and air it up when needed etc so it will make working on this thing a little easier.

Most of my fittings etc that i ordered from SD came this week also... gonna order my brake booster and master from waylayed tomorrow. Has anyone used their combo on a 2nd gen? I've read that some people were having issues and needed to adjust a screw on the master

·
376ci LSX MCSS? Say what?
7,589 Posts
Damn it....you were in delaware and didnt let me know!?!?! taht show was 15 mins from me! That is a laundry list of issues....i feel your pain, mine werent cosmetic issues, but i still feel your pain.

·
.:|Hustlin4life|:.
5,662 Posts
Jeff from Devious just sent me a shipping label to send the tank back to them so Ill do that saturday while I'm down at my garage. So basically its a week to ship from NJ to Cali then a week from Cali to NJ so i'll have my tank for hopefully the first weekend in December. Id have liked to have it earlier so I could make the truck driveable but hey... I'll take what I can get

My goal for this weekend is to rip the entire front end apart, at the least the hood and fenders.

I'll also be finally hooking up my compressor at my garage so that I can take the truck off jack stands and air it up when needed etc so it will make working on this thing a little easier.

Most of my fittings etc that i ordered from SD came this week also... gonna order my brake booster and master from waylayed tomorrow. Has anyone used their combo on a 2nd gen? I've read that some people were having issues and needed to adjust a screw on the master
The rod in the booster will need to be adjusted for any application...if you put it on and it doesn't need adjusted you just got lucky:cool: Real simple to do though and there are a couple how to's on here

·
Broken Handed Superman
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay so small update while i'm at work:

1: Ordered my chrome booster/master combo from Waylayed yesterday
2: All the parts for my rear disc conversion arrived to my apartment monday... now i just need to pick up caliper paint and paint the calipers and mounting brackets
3: Sent the devious tank back to Devious yesterday. I have been busy so I haven't had time to stop off at a UPS store until then

The entire front end sheet metal is now off my truck. I did that friday night while i was at my garage in about 2.5 hours. A lot quicker than I had imagined! I kind of wish that i had stopped and picked up a pickle fork before i started working on it because i could have started to remove the stock front arms but i just stopped after that

I also started to remove my old air management from my bed. I got all the valves out and would have gotten the 2 5gals and the 450s out if i had another hand to hold the wrench on the top bolt. When i install my 12gal, i'm welding a nut on the bottom of my bed so that i can remove it without needing two people!

I have pics of the front end off the truck back at my apartment, just been too busy to upload them

Anyone need stock modified control arms or 5 gallon tanks?? let me know they should be off the truck friday night!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
About this Discussion
125 Replies
28 Participants
MeltingPlastic
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing