S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
561 - 580 of 609 Posts

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
Well, got a bit done this past weekend, although (as usual) it wasn't as much as I was hoping for. Got my 245/40 tires mounted on the Camaro 18s, got the balljoints pressed into the adapter plates and got the hardware to mount them, and then was able to get all the 2wd joints/spindles/etc all bolted into the truck. I'll let the pics say the rest

:D

·
Turbocharged Pimp
1,616 Posts
A lot lol

Like 25-30°
Whats your plans for your tie rods? On my Sy The lower control arms were laying on th lower control arms we had to pocket the lowers

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Whats your plans for your tie rods? On my Sy The lower control arms were laying on th lower control arms we had to pocket the lowers
You mean the lower arms were laying on the tie rods, right? I'm going to be building a full custom steering kit for it similar to the LSOH kit for the 2wd's, but I'm also going to be bending the lower arm to keep the frame side of the front leg at a lower angle so as to not interfere with the tie rod :)

·
ELTC
8,391 Posts
You mean the lower arms were laying on the tie rods, right? I'm going to be building a full custom steering kit for it similar to the LSOH kit for the 2wd's, but I'm also going to be bending the lower arm to keep the frame side of the front leg at a lower angle so as to not interfere with the tie rod :)
so F'n cool. hella camber :tup:

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
Well, busted ass for 4 straight days on this thing attempting to get it done and moved. A lot got done but it still didn't get moved :( I got a lot of pics but haven't had a chance to get them off the camera yet.

Friday: Did a few odds and ends because I didn't get up to MI til about 12:30am local time.

Saturday: I basically spent the whole day bodydropping my white bed 3.5" for this truck. I have gone back and forth a lot over what bed will go on this truck and I finally decided that when I get around to working on the '91 again I can get another bed for that, plus I like the idea that all the leftover/'spare' parts from the '91 are being used to build this truck, plus the bed that was supposed to be 'new parts' for the '91. Since it's my daughters truck it has a little bit of both the old and the new of the '91 (my truck) wrapped up into it. I still want to build my custom tailgate hinges so there is no height difference between the bed floor and the gate when it is down, and I also think I may put the rubber bed mat from the Sonoma in it to cover over the small hole in the middle that the pumpkin pokes through. If I ever spray line the bed though I likely wouldn't do the bed mat anymore

Sunday: Worked a bunch on moving and a little on the truck

Monday: Started out the day by scrapping out my black bed that was all cut up and pretty rusty. Then I got the drivers side front and middle cab mounts tacked to the frame in a location where they will hold the cab level at a laying rocker height when the cab is set on the frame. Until I build the cab and actually get bodymount bushings I will keep these temporarily located where they are. Next I welded a piece of pipe between the frame horns and then dropped them. Since the front clip is 4wd it required a 5" drop on them. They still need to be plated and finalized but they are at the proper height for now for it to lay rocker. Then once that was all done I finished up the Uni-Bag 2link with a 2600 Firestone bag. I was able to cycle it and at 135psi it got 12.5" of lift, so I'm happy with how it turned out. I did the upper bag mount based off clearing the bed and I should've based it off the link tho, because the bag has a large amount of mis-alignment, although it isn't anything that will cause issues or failures, just not ideal. But with the amount of lift it gets I'm not complaining.

Still left to do is the 2 pass side body mounts, finalize the lower control arms and drivers side upper bag mount, and figure out a steering bar. I hope to do that this Sat and then get it, the frame table, and all my tools and stuff loaded up and brought back to IN (since I technically needed to be fully moved out yesterday. But everybody that is related to the home, etc is ok with me taking through the weekend to finish moving).

I'll try to keep taking pics and once this thing is completed and home it will be able to lay out on the rockers with the full body on it (Xcab for now). Then it's time to start the cab. Once that's done I will be setting up the 'tow setup' but if I don't get that far before CnD I'm not gonna be upset.

Stay tuned!

·
ELTC
8,391 Posts
Thats an insain amount of camber! Remind me of one of them Vdub kids with the hella flush wheels and the crazy adapter to give em crazy camber lol

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 ·
Thanks guys :) The funny thing about the camber is that it's enough to tuck the wheels in the layed out state that the truck is in, but since the whole frame/suspension was layed out and then I set the body on top of it I honestly have no idea if I could even air the front end up and not hit the fenders with the wheels lol.

So I'll have to do a little tinkering to see how that would all work out :haha:

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #579 ·
Well, was able to tinker with this a little bit last night. Took off the front bumper and grille and jacked it up. With the offset of the wheels unfortunately it only tucks when layed out all the way. It's just way way too close to the fenders when it's lifting up :( And the other problem there is that while adding drop spindles will help alleviate the camber it will also push the wheels out about 1/4-1/2" per side, which will make it even harder for it to tuck. So I'm really glad I haven't built the lower arms yet because it looks like I'm going to have to shorten the lowers and narrow the front track width to be able to tuck with these wheels and not hit the fenders. That's fine tho, I wanted to do most of that work anyway :)

561 - 580 of 609 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.