·
Flame It ALL
8,853 Posts
Any news on the spare parts truck?

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
Nothin new to report just yet. Have some parts on the way for the Sonoma so I'm hoping to get that thing all fixed up here in the next 1-2 weeks. I'd rather have that thing completely driveable and reliable and able to just take to any show at any time before I start back on the crew, just so I don't get stuck in the position I was in at Camp N Drag

But Saturday I should be able to make a lot of progress on the truck(s) so hopefully there'll be an update or two for you guys after that

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
Ok, so I have officially decided to put my Thorbecke Brothers S10 control arms up for sale. I have been wanting to get another dirtbike since I sold my 00 CR125r back in 2005, but it's not been something that was feasible until recently, and the only way I can afford it at this point in my life is by selling some things that are for more distant projects that I'm not going to be using within the next 6 months or so. Since the arms fall into that category that is why they are going up for sale.

The specs:

Thorbecke Brothers S10 control arms
Raw upper arms with Thorbecke cross shafts and PowerPerformance SuperTravel balljoints
Chrome lower arms with shock tabs (no sway bar mounts) and PowerPerformance balljoints

These arms will lay 22s with STOCK spindles, or 26s with DROP spindles

The arms have only ever been used for mockup on my trucks, have never seen any road time, and the joints have yet to see grease. They are in brand new condition still.

Asking $1000 OBO ($550 for chrome lowers, $450 for raw uppers with ST joints, but I would rather not seperate them)

PM me if interested. I will also be throwing these up in the classifieds

This is the only pic I could find of them for now. I will be posting more after I get a chance to take some

Also for sale are a full set of 15" 2nd gen Swirlie wheels with (2) 205/60-15 and (2) 195/50-15 tires in good shape. Asking $300 OBO for those

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow man this is a crazy long thread read most of it on our way home from ra in millington tn. The crew cab that u refer to a few times is my brothers I believe we talked to you at cnd. Keep up the progress. I know it gets hard some times to keep focused because you have so many wants and time and money is hard to come by. My blazer has been being built for 8 yrs but in the end it's worth it. Good luck hope to see ur truck at dnd.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #388 ·
Wow man this is a crazy long thread read most of it on our way home from ra in millington tn. The crew cab that u refer to a few times is my brothers I believe we talked to you at cnd. Keep up the progress. I know it gets hard some times to keep focused because you have so many wants and time and money is hard to come by. My blazer has been being built for 8 yrs but in the end it's worth it. Good luck hope to see ur truck at dnd.
Hell yeah man! That was definitely me at Camp N Drag... and I appreciate all the time you and your bro took to just let me talk lol

As far as this project goes, I'm hoping to have at least the frame and suspension done with the body on it for DnD. Drivetrain and interior and whatnot will be a ways off

But yeah... I really appreciate you takin the time to read the thread and post in it, because your trucks are 100% the inspiration for this! :tup:

·
Turbocharged Pimp
1,616 Posts
Brent what are your plans for tie rods? On my sy because the 4wd centerlink is so much wider my lower control arms are hitting the tie rod and holding me up about a 1/4 inch I currently looking into the possibility of using blazer drop spindles on r the truck Im gonna borrow a stock spindle to check for fitment before buying drop spindles

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
Brent what are your plans for tie rods? On my sy because the 4wd centerlink is so much wider my lower control arms are hitting the tie rod and holding me up about a 1/4 inch I currently looking into the possibility of using blazer drop spindles on r the truck Im gonna borrow a stock spindle to check for fitment before buying drop spindles
Jim, as of right now I have zero steering linkage on the 4wd front clip. I had stripped it off back in the day to attempt to build a no-toe steering setup for a blazer I was working on, and while what I built worked great, it used up all the parts of the 4wd steering setup. So for now I will probably just build some kind of rod to tie the two sides together, until I get a donor truck to steal the stock linkages off of or until I fab up some kind of custom steering setup.

I really don't think you're gonna be able to use Blazer spindles on the 4wd clip. Unless you weld a balljoint cup into the lower arm and use it to mount a 2wd lower balljoint, then it's feasible since the upper joints are the same from what you told me. HOWEVER, I don't think you can just flip the current 4wd lower joint and have it work in the Blazer spindle, so the first route would be the only way to make that happen. I have a set of stock Blazer spindles on the '91 frame that's in the shed and about to have the SD arms stripped off it... want me to pull them off for you to borrow?

But keep in mind that if you switch to a drop spindle you will lose all your camber and then your front wheels may not tuck... :(

·
Turbocharged Pimp
1,616 Posts
I'm thinking I may scrap the idea of the spindle and just pocket the control arm as the rims I'm looking at will only be made in a 18 when you figure out the custom steering setup let me know as 18 is the biggest possible without custom steering linkage

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
I'm thinking I may scrap the idea of the spindle and just pocket the control arm as the rims I'm looking at will only be made in a 18 when you figure out the custom steering setup let me know as 18 is the biggest possible without custom steering linkage
Thanks for the heads up Jim. For now the truck will only be running 18s until I can build tubular arms and buy really expensive high-angle CV joints and then fall into a bunch of money and buy big rims lol

But when it's time for big rims and custom CVs and tubular arms I will probably be designing a steering kit similar to the LSOH one for 2wds

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Well it's been a long time since this thing has seen any love, but hopefully soon it will be getting some attention. I'm hoping to get all the work on the frame and current suspension setup done before the week of Thanksgiving so that I can then put the rolling chassis on the ground under the frame table and get the cabs up on the table. This will free up one whole side of the garage for me to be able to park the Sonoma in, which means that I can work on getting that thing ready for winter over the long Thanksgiving weekend. Then once the Sonoma is all ready for winter I will get to working on the cab/doors

Other than a lack of motivation, one thing that has been holding me up a bit has been my desire to fine tune the front suspension for the best results for a bagged application. I have found through some research that you can use 2wd spindles on a 4wd with minor mods, so I have decided to go that route to give myself a bit better geometry. But I cannot finalize the measurements/welding on the lower arms until I get everything setup properly, so that's where the holdup has come into play. Also, I'm either almost out or I'm actually out of welding gas, so that may prove to be another holdup, as finances are extremely tight for me and my family right now :( But once a few small part/tool purchases are able to be afforded it will be just time and work that it takes to get this thing moving along again, so stay tuned :)

And I've officially decided on the look I want for it for it's first incarnation, body/paint/wheels wise and the best part is that it won't break the bank :D

·
I need to get movin
884 Posts
and the first incarnation is... lol

btw no need for your pie cut uppers any more as I jumped on a sick deal for a brand new set uof SD uppers to go with my SD lowers and blazer drop spindles that I just got :) yay lol

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
and the first incarnation is... lol
Probably only 2wd for a while, but eerily similar to this:

btw no need for your pie cut uppers any more as I jumped on a sick deal for a brand new set uof SD uppers to go with my SD lowers and blazer drop spindles that I just got :) yay lol
Sounds good man... glad you were able to get some nice tubulars, which IMO will always look better than stock arms, and function better too :) And no worries about my pie cut uppers, I'm sure I can find somebody to sell them to :cool:

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
going to be all shaved up or are you keeping the stock look? handles, trim, etc
Stock look, with handles, trim, etc :cool:

It will look like a bone stock crew cab 1st gen (which never existed so that will throw people off) but planted flat on the ground :D

Of course it will have several custom touches as well but they will go unnoticed to the untrained eye

381 - 400 of 609 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.