S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got alot of stuff on order to completely redo this truck and then some... here is a picture of the truck as of 5 minutes ago. the front has bags too but i didnt lay it out. the silver is a rattle can paint job when i was 17ish before i went to wyotech , i hate it with a passion now. the grill was just a idea i had( dont like it either) I havent done anything to it in over 5 years.... anyways here she is

yes i never finished the cab part of the silver :haha:

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
picked up a tailgate from the truck yard just incase i effed it up i would still have my stock gate.... i guess this could be a how to for the SD tailgate handle relocate
I just poked holes where the holes were and stuck the bolts in to get it close

making sure its even

Tape it up , you can see the lines through the tape

cut inside the lines , never on the line so you can trim to fit, FYI for the ones who dont know

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

turned out good except for the weird angle of the handle but oh well .. also i might add before you screw the plate down get someone to hold it in place while you pull the handle andmake sure it pulls the latches equally, where i was going to mount this one one side didnt pull in all the way so i had toslide it over a hair to equal it up, maybe not a big deal for some but just a heads up

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shaving the old handle hole

first few tacks to get it to stay

first time using this new welder but it came out alright, could of had some more heat but it worked, before this it was 2007 when i welded last so gotta get back in the groove.. you like the BIRD SHART weld on theleft side? i dont :haha: ( not sure what happend there)

next is the license plate box under the old handle... post pics later
ALERT if anyone wants details on relocating handle i have more detailed pics , might add a how to to Suicidedoor section because i got it from them but until then if you want pics let me know.

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! i started on the tail gate while i wait on the 10 week wait for the back half and the control arms..... plenty to do before then and lots of pics to come.... i am almost done with the license plate box but havent uploaded tpics so far to photobucket yet

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I marked the centerline of the license plate box and the center line of the tailgate... lined them up together and marked around them....

got it cut out, yes i warped a little when i welded in the handle filler, its just in that spot.. and i also found some body filler on the right side of the hole for the box.

making sure the hole is the same on both sides. close enough

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
putting it.... i actually ended up sinking the top ( closest to handle) in almost flush with the tailgate skin and pulling the bottom out a little more than it is in the picture... so its at an angle. looks good that way

level the gate and make sure the box is level and shes good to go

not happy with the welds but ohwell. maybe find out i need to fix some spots when i grind them down. but thats it so far ill post more when i get the box finished

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
on the last pic, it looks as if you welded it with the box higher than the gate metal. when you flap disk this down, wont it just "eat" away the welds? looks good other than that. aslso the grille looks pretty cool man, dont destroy it, you might be able to sell it for some extra change

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on the last pic, it looks as if you welded it with the box higher than the gate metal. when you flap disk this down, wont it just "eat" away the welds? looks good other than that. aslso the grille looks pretty cool man, dont destroy it, you might be able to sell it for some extra change
yeah i did your right.... ive already grinded it down with the right contour as the tailgate ( you can see in some spots the hair line line of the metal edge)
and im re welding it .... i only got that one side welded in until i realized in wyotech when i made a rollpan with a frenched plate box i cut it to fit and then spot welded the corner edge where the box and skin meet.... just had to remember the way i did it in wyotech haha... but yeah i posted the pic cause the welds were not bad lookin and i dont have any newer pics than that one.... well i wasnt gonna destroy it i had another grill , i was just gonna stick that in the back of the garage somewhere.. maybe if i touch it up a bit it may look better. i have a billet grill i just have to cut in half to fit and it might look better...... thanks for

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well I like where you are heading! I'm going to do the license box and relocate the handle...so I'm interested in both! Keep it up...and good luck!

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I like where you are heading! I'm going to do the license box and relocate the handle...so I'm interested in both! Keep it up...and good luck!
thanks dude, if anyone mounts the license plate box as high up as i did, you gotta watch out for that inner support, i had to notch it and re weld it to get the plate box to sit as low as i got it.. if not it was only like half an inch deep and i didnt like it. so watch for that

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got my rollpan from grants, and should finish up tailgate today i hope. ill take some more pictures later today

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
postin a few pics to keep the pics rollin in. almost got the tailgate ready for filler so ill have pics of it soon...until then

My dog Rocky up in the tree again

i found my WyoTech Mailbox i built and painted myself. i think its badass, would like to use it as a mailbox but i know it would vanish or get hit with a bat or somethin haha, Black base with silver marbellizer, with candy orange in the back faded into candy red, then taped the graphics and added the shadows

airbushin is sketchy but it was first time, was too close when i airbrushed

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ that was a grind box i built by the way for all you skater/BMX riders

this is the roll pan i got in the mail today

This little guy will come in handy, just got it few days ago

my welder im using, maybe someone would wanna know

My stock tailgate, you like the Love tap that left the license plate mark haha. and of course the silver rattle can paint job.....

ill get more of the new tailgate later...

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright this thread isnt too popular , but it is kinda boring stuff so far. got some more stuff done....

heres a tiny roll pan i built in Wyotech.

this is the hole for the license plate light wires and the weld under it is welded to the inner structure to avoid it vibrating because it was right up against it.. if you think i should grind it smooth or leave it let me know, the light will cover it

glassed in finally, just took this picture like 10 minutes ago

perfect combo

and my filler/paint "station" kinda cluttered

and what are these!!??

·
GMC so-low-ma
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks good!, and your truck was like new when you did the rattle can paint job, you've got balls lol.
lol yeah i shouldnt of done it but ohwell.Thanks bro, it will look way better when im done with it now though. gotta sand down the skim coat of filler i just put on and the gate should be done besides the HHR reverse lights that are goin in it. but gotta wait until tuesday to get some sheet metal to make the light pockets.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
About this Discussion
120 Replies
18 Participants
Gimp
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing