S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick intro this is not the first dime I have built but the first go around doing all the air ride myself an fab work myself. I have helped quite a few people years ago and its been about 6 years since i have been in the scene. I have had 4 other dimes and this is by far my favorite project. Im taking my time building it right but at the same time want to have it on the road and plan to be at slamology and law of physics and a few others.

So I aquired this truck through a trade back in octoberish and I have been tearing it down ever since.Its been a while since i have been in the scene (6 yrs) Originally i thought hey the bones look good and its got brand new wheels and tires and the motor and trans is a solid 4.3 with only 80,000 on them. Well i got into it and of course found crap hacked up, and of course like any other project i have ever done I always take it further than I plan. What it came with was a new set of greed trapp 22s(not sure if i like them, not really my style), c notched, two crappy compressors, 2 polished 3 gal tanks and 1 larger tank- maybe 8gal?). With that it also had the doors shaved and third brake light tailgate and gas door also shaved (if you could call it that) needless to say am not impressed with the previous guys body work. Had plans to just change out the bed and clean everything up and call it a day but of course not happening that easily. When i got looking further the wiring is a mess and he just pounded in the firewall to make it lay lower. he had the tires bottomed out on wire harnesses and the hood release cable.

So the plan is tub and smooth the firewall, dehump the lowers, I have tubular uppers going in, a waylayed 7in booster and master, a york 210 going in, full plated frame, wire tuck, custom stainless steel dash, new bed, new doors, redoing all the air lines and fittings.

As it stands right now I have already tubbed and smoothed the firewall, started tucking wires and started dehumping my lowers. I have spent a lot of time on the firewall and the frame work and fab work. For all of you weld nazi's I know my welds aren't perfect but they are solid. I have only been welding a short time so appreciate any constructive advice, otherwise get a life.

This is the day I got it in the garage and the day i started the tear down. The firewall was laying on the tires and about 1.5 to 2 inches from laying frame.

First day of tear down

Firewall Cutting

Just a few parts im pumped about

Finished firewall

Cutting and Dehumping the Lowers

Cleaned all the edges and smoothed everything to make a nicer finish.

Braces welded In.

This is where i was at then i ran out of wire, story of my life coming up short. lol

·
ELTC
8,391 Posts
diggin that color green. firewall looks good. looking forawrd to some more updates :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks gimp been following your build for a while, finished my lca's today and working on the front part of the frame should have an update with pics tomorrow

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So as promised got an update. Worked hard saturday and finished up my lowers and got em sprayed and then started finishing up my frame and prepping it for paint. I took a little different approach to the uppers mount brackets.

my uppers mounts: have always thought the bracket looked like a frog head and looked sloppy so thought i'd plate it and smooth it and see how it came out. ended up coming out pretty decent so we'll see if i keep it or not.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks good man. I like seeing people fixing up hack jobs and making them road worthy again.
Thanks this has definitely been a test of patience lol this truck has had so much fixed on it even just at this point. Almost decided to scrap when I first started but decided I wanted to save it from someone else's stupidity. Lol it's nothing like your insane work but should have some updates of my frame in the next couple days

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just and update with the frame, got the passenger side done yesterday and then got out early and got a lot done on the driver's side and then ran out of gas with a little left to finish. Should have it painted this week.

Marked and ready for war.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good man, As far as your welds go, i havent seen anything that looked bad. On the fire wall tubs you cant really make a constant bead, and the control arm welds look good and burned in, like it should. Keep up the good work.
Thanks man appreciate the encouragement and im really working on it and learning everything I can. I have learned a lot from reading and looking at build threads such as yours.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looking good so far its always fun digging through someones project to see what they did right or wrong. I just picked up a truck that someone was working on but gave up... Aint really dug into it yet due to weather.. atleast the paint isnt terrible mine was spray bombed and I can't stand it

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking good so far its always fun digging through someones project to see what they did right or wrong. I just picked up a truck that someone was working on but gave up... Aint really dug into it yet due to weather.. atleast the paint isnt terrible mine was spray bombed and I can't stand it
Yea it's fun alright lol that's why this project is called poison ivy, you fix a little bit or modify a little and find something else you want to fix or modify while your at it. Lol I'm one of those guys that always starts small and ends up taking it further and further so the name seemed appropriate lol good luck on your project though man, hopefully it's not as much work as mine. Lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok pumped got a huge update got a lot done over that last two nights first thing i found was when i was cleaning up my front set up some more and glanced at my upper bag cups and noticed the idiot before me was running bag cups he must have cut himself and they were almost a 1/4 of and inch diffferent or so lol Wondered why it looked like my driver's side sat higher.

Just one of the many benefits of working at a company that builds lathes and verticals so thanks to a integrex 300 trued them up and here we are with in about 5 microns or so.

and another benefit working with our ajv messed around with a block of steel and decided to try a manifold setup for the air ride. here is the setup for running the back. (idk how itll work but pressure tested it up to 300psi and still all good.) let me know what you think

Some of the fine high quality work the previous owner decided to do, and also the reason the bed is getting ditched.

And did some work and is now ditched. wasn't too hard was only on with 4 bolts lol man i'd like to see this guy again so i can kick him in the nuts lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice work. i like your rims ^^
Haha thanks those are just on there for now, while im grinding, cutting, welding and so on. They will be going on my daily eventually.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok a little update have been working on the rear section of my frame and redoing quite a bit of work. I have pretty much finished the plating of the rear and now just have a few brackets and a brace to put in behind the rear axle, and have my fuel tank finished. Hope to have the majority of it finished this week and paint of the whole frame by this weekend. I also got some new link bars in, and my front shocks and am working on my front shock upper mounts.
before

after

pretty much all plated just some clean up and what not

Parts and what not

Link bars

New Rubber

1 - 20 of 100 Posts