S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Time Traveler
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so over the past year I have been building a 2007 VW Rabbit (MKV Golf).

Before this I have owned 3 second gen s10's each one having a static drop ranging from 3/4 to 6/6. Over the past few years I have taken a break from minitruck scene and been getting cars.

So I figure I would share this with you guys. The car is done... well for now until the snow melts. I forgot that I had an s10forum.com account, until I was milling though some old emails. ANyway here we go...

Here is the car the day I bought it. I ordered it specifically Candy White 2 door with zero options. I literally told the dealer that I was going to build a show car out of this so they were really good with me. They didn't mount any plates, barely took the wrapping off.

Once I bought the car, I called GAS (German Airride Systems, or something like that) to see how much I could import a kit for, but with the poor value of the us dollar, it was going to cost me $6000+ for me to get one, plus a LONG LONG wait. So I figured I could just make my own stuff. So here is the process I took, for the most part. Keep in mind this is my first air suspension system on anything.

May 2007...

When I ordered the car I also ordered GTI 2 door stripes and 4 door rabbit front rubstripes, both are smoooooooth. Those come later.

First was the air suspension.

I got married a weeks after I bought the car. ON my honeymoon in the Dominican Republic (literally, this is not a lie) I ordered the air parts. At this time no one in the United States ever had done a MKV. So no one made a kit at all, I called around everywhere.

Anywhere here are teh parts when they arrived:

The rear bags are your typical airbag.

But the front's are a big different. They are a double bellow bag (better term?), which basically is a typical airbag on the outside but has an inner bellow with a big 4" spacer in the middle. It's designed to slide over a strut. The disadvatange to this is the collapsed height is 4" :( Here is a pic. Its made by Universal Air Suspension.

Just seeing what it would look like.

These were just out of the box sitting on the OEM sparetire cover just to test fit, just to tease myself. Motivation!

More to come...

·
Time Traveler
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Offically got the tank and compressors mounted on day 1. I built the floor out of 1/2 MDO board and carpeted it to match the stock carpet. Everything is bolted down in that picture. I plumbed it the next install day, I think it was the next day, 3 day weekend. I think it was a Thursday.
empty and stock, just over a 1,000 miles on the ticker.

Making the broad fit in the back of my car and lining up all the holes, compressors and tank are just sitting there

THe company I use to work for did big advertising outdoors. The mini cooper is fiberglass, it was in a ad on a side of a building where it was being shot from a slingshot. :) Neat picture.

This is the board carpeted the compressors and tank bolted down. My plan was to develop the bags so they are as low a possible first, then work on presentation of the tanks.

Function over form.

Now it just needs wiring, plumbing and some bags and dampeners.

Coming up is the bags and wiring, then the 1.75" cnotch on a car that is 1500 miles old. :)

Paul

·
Time Traveler
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Some shots from the install.

Before. :)

1,405 miles (2,261 KM), I bought this car, with the intent to bag it.

Pulling part of the interior out to run the wiring for the power, controller, and air gauge.

Pulling power wire (4 gauge).

Taking a breather.

Taped up the rear bumper so I don't scratch it. You can see the compressors bolts down to the rear floor, still need to put on water collectors (dryers) and fittings.

Another shot of pulling power wire. You can see the bundle of wires that will be my wiring harness that runs from the front of the car to the back of the car.

Wires!

Twisting up the harness.

I redesigned the struts in the front 3 times. THis was the first drop. I used the stock struts and modified them. I cut the perches off, and relocated a collar/landing/perch 6 inches down the strut. I took the OEM upper mounts, and welded the bearing carrier to the top of the bag mounting plate.

Here is the stock strut.

Here is the massively modified strut with bag mounted. Keep in mind, this was all done on the fly. This day was the first time I ever saw a MKV Suspension. I also used my stock struts to determine the measurements that ultimately, I ended up giving to Koni for my custom set. 8) Now... Yes... the oem struts were welded on, which is scary to me. HA. But my helper on the project has done it before and decided to try to tackle it. Well I have to say before changing to my custom setup... I did put on many miles, including a 6hour each way trip to New Jersey for Waterfest on my stock/OEM modified struts. Which saw themselves bottomed out many times a day and still have their "dampening" ablity to this day. HA

Here is a comparison:

As you can see, the collar for the lower bag plate to sit on is 6" lower.

Upper mounts painted. The big hole is for the strut to be able to pass though the top of the bag plate. This way I could get the maximum drop, by bottoming the strut out on the OEM upper mount. The metal ring that is welded on the bag plate is what the OEM strut bearing sits on, typically this is sitting on the top of the OEM spring/coil. Basically I lowered the bag as far down the OEM body as I could so the bag could totally inflate and more importantly totally collapse. The only thing holding me up on this design is the strut length. Which is why I called Koni to ask about shortened bodies, the wondered why I wanted to buy shortened struts for a brand new car... I explained, they got giddy. :) HA!

I didn't take pictures of the rear setup. But it was just your standard upper and lower cup.

Here is the pictures of the car after the first install using the OEM struts.

Since these pictures were taken I have redesigned the setup twice. The second install I used Koni sport struts, highly modified by Koni. They shortened the body and stroke 2"inches, and reinforced all the internals and also revalved them. Koni sponsored the project, after their giddiness subsided, in exchange I park my car at their tent, at Waterfest, biggest vw/audi show in North America.

Also, in the second install I redesigned the upper mounts, and used laser cut upper plates that I designed off of the OEM upper mounts which features weld in carriers for the spherical bearings out of dirt track cars. The second design proved not to work to well, the spherical bearings ended up wearing out very quickly because they were supporting the weight of the front of the car. The spherical bearing did become very useful in my last design... more to come on that much later down the timeline in this project.

I will have a detailed build up shortly of the new design after I begin prototyping it out, I am going to design an adjustable sleeve so I can have adjustable perches, so if I wanna put a 20" wheel on I can lift the bag up or if I wanna put an 18" or 17" wheel I can lower the bag. I am also planning on designing a new lower rear control arm, which will be made out of steel tubing and a laser cut plate.

Feel free to ask questions.

Next up... smoothing and cleaning of the outside, C-notching.... and later on more height reduction.

·
Oasis Customs
6,851 Posts
this is totaly bad ass, ill have to post it up on louisvillevw.org .

ive always been a huge vw fan as much as i am of minitrucks, my first car was a 81 vw quantum.

·
Time Traveler
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok found some more pictures kicking around from the initial install....

Front bags in place

Rear setup is just your typical bag/cup situation.

Here are the valve assemblies, which is a big reason why I couldn't fit them anywhere but under the rear floor, which is fine, they have slow down so they aren't to loud. I am switching to 3/8" because half are to violent, the back end hops with out my needle valves inline.

Looking for a place to put the valves. It needs to be easily accessible since I plan on driving this car to shows all over the country.

·
Time Traveler
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After the first install and show I wanted to clean up the outside appearance and delete the textured plastic. The 2 door rabbits come with textured rubstripes and valvances.
I ordered 2 door GTI rub stripes for the doors (they are smooth from the factory) and I also ordered 4 door rabbit front bumper rubstripes because they are also smooth from the factory.

Here is the rear and front valances removed, I had a friend sand them smooth and paint them for me. He also painted the rubstripes I ordered. Now I can't paint.. I have a model making degree so I am familiar with prototyping and finishing... I know what kind of time I would have ot put into the sanding of the texture... I'd rather pay someone to do it. HA plus I don't have a access to a booth.

Here is my friend cleaning the side of the car so we can stick on the new painted rubstripes.

Here is another picture before the rubsripes went on. You can also see the rear valance that is now smoothed and painted. I ended up having him repaint the front and rear valances because they were a bit to white and need some yellow added to the paint.

He also painted the engine cover.

Here is a picture right after we put on all the painted parts.

Another shot later that night.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
awesome work man! very different

i personally wouldnt have thought/wanted to bag a VW but i think this is workin out great for you....definitely respectable in my book!

1 - 20 of 302 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.