S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after ive been asked a few times on my ranger build up, i guess ill start a build thread on here...

i bought an 88 ranger in the beginning of march '10, and started building a frame for it right away, and have been workin on it since. i decided to build an underslung chassis with s10 front frame clip, run a sbc, bag and body it, put an old school dash in, sheetmetal bed and cab floors, and try to run stock hood. im gonna post up some pics of it so far and get everyone up to date.
i bought the truck off of an ex junkie who was using it to go to the half way house, and lost his license, but he got it from a guy down south so it was in pretty good shape.

first and foremost, ignore the mess in most of this, my house had caught on fire before thanksgiving last year, and everything was pulled out of the house in boxes and everything while the insurance was rebuilding it.

the truck the way i got it, he hit a deer with it, so grille was broken:

at first i built a fuel cell out of 1/8" plate, matching the specs of my friends grant kustoms, but later decided to run a summit aluminum 15 gallon. the 2 air tanks in the rear are around 3 gallon tanks, made out of stainless steel, i had the tanks tig welded at work, made out of our 6" stainless pipe and end caps.

heres the small block chevy that i had in an s10 i was building, then yanked it, put it in my isuzu pup, now its made its way into the ranger. lol
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa295/bhart3357/IMG_2386.jpg]/IMG]

i had joel at mindliss metalfab laser cut me some tabs to hold gasline and brakeline along the frame rails. all brakelines, gaslines, and air lines are ran using stainless steel tubing and swagelok/parker fittings. some free from work. bought some on ebay, and mcmaster carr.any line thats not hardlined is stainless braided line.

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa295/bhart3357/IMG00188-20100521-1942.jpg

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i had michigan metal works upper flat plate arms. i have FBI lower arms, michigan metal works no notch tie rods, 2" drop spindles, and re6s up front, which i may switch to re 7s. i got a good deal on a set of suicidedoors.com upper and lowers, which im waiting on. i hate the FBI lowers, i dont mind MMW uppers, just too good of a deal on SD arms to pass up the set. anyways, everything is gonna was setup for 20s with a 225/35 tire, but all i have right now is a set of alba blaze 18s with 215/35 but thatll do good for now. i also relocated the brake booster/MC under the dash, which my dash is from a 1949 ford shoebox, fitted into the ranger already. i used some of the stock front metal portion of the stock dash, and mated it to the 49 dash, and, my boss, who likes doin sheetmetal work, has wanted an ibeam style front suspension for a chassis hes been wanting to build, so i traded him the stock frame/drivetrain for a little sheetmetal work on the sides of the dash. he did an awesome job on it, and it looks great.

heres where i mocked it up while still driving the truck:

i also bought a CPP steering column for this truck, along with a grant steering wheel. I shortened the steering column 7" so its around 25" now.

i converted the rear to disc brakes some time ago on my s10, and i kept the rear end just in case. its the scarebird brackets, with 98 4x4 blazer rotors, and 79-85 cadillac eldorado calipers with e brake mechanism. well, the calipers broke, so im tryin to find calipers without an e brake provision.

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i sheetmetaled the cab floor, with a 1x1 frame under that, i bought cavalier seats from a local junkyard just to get some seats goin.

i have also framed out the bed so far, but never got the sheetmetal for it. its farther along than what i have pictured. when i do order the metal, im gonna get them to break it to size, and i have a friend whos crazy with an airbrush do woodgrain inside the bed for an old school look.

while it was up on the table for the frame build, i decided to start the cab floor frame while it was up in the air.

all of my link tabs are under the axle, the lower bars hold the bags, kinda similiar to a cantilever, but different. im gonna make some gussets to go between the different angles on the bar when i get around to pullin it all apart for paint. you can kinda see in this pic whats goin on with the bag:

i really always hated the way that summit made the fuel cell fillers, so i made my own, which has to be raised another 2 inches at some point...but i yanked it off the table about a month ago and turned it around to work on it, i bolted on the 18s and took some pics.

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the firewall at this point is almost complete, i just have to build a piece to connect distributor notch to tranny tunnel. i want to have it all basically done and primered by laid out at the park '11. for the body, i want to shave door handles, IF i have to, i may do a small sheetmetal cowl induction hood, shave tails and ass end, do caddys like normal, license plate box in the middle of the rollpan. for paint, i really just wanna do a nice BRIGHT blue, probably go with strato blue from HoK, buried with blue metal flake. i do wanna rip it all apart and paint the frame and everything else, ive already pulled wires thru the frame for everything in the rear.

oh ya, and if anyone notices the half couplings tig'd into the frame, initially i wanted to do the frame tank thing, but after realizing how much i would drive it, wanted it to be as reliable with ANY chance of anything stupid goin down.

as for the hood, i think i can clear, i dropped the motor some more. just have to notch the frame for the headers and i can rework the air filter...only time ive ever been jealous of a fuel injected motor...i just dont wanna deal with wiring, and i love the sound of a cam'd small block...which this one isnt...yet...lol

as for a cam, anyone ever have experience with a thumpr cam? my motor is only a stock 305 with 700r4, so i cant run any crazy cam and lose my vacuum. but i want a nice lopin idle.....

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only thing i did on mine that i didnt like, was the fact that i didnt put a filter between the fuel cell and pump. and i needed something that was 3/8" NPT, so i could run it in line the way i did. worked out pretty nice. but im running a high pressure fuel pump with a carbed small block, just gonna put a regulator before the carb.

when i first bought the fuel cell, i had a SS braided hose, to connect fuel cell to the pump, but decided against it. i ended up cutting the -8AN fitting off, and had my buddy tig weld on a 3/8"NPT fitting.

the instant center is off, i had to raise the upper bars.

my freshly painted spindles:

ballistic fabrication battery box for an optima:

airlines are all ss 1/2", fuel line is 3/8" on the pass side frame rail, and on the drivers side frame rail, i have 1/4" stainless line ran back for brake lines. where my dump are mounted inline, i have 3/8" stainless steel mufflers to prevent anything getting in, and hopefully work as a slow down also

my grandfather was a hardcore chevy guy, he had a 70' chevy c10, that i always wanted. actually, after he passed away, i always wanted to paint my truck like his, kinda in memory to his, since a family dispute started over this truck, forced it to be sold. well, i had a 92 s10 with air suspension, my uncle built an 82 s10 with a built small block, hes a body man by trade and made it a replica of his 70 chevelle, and my grandfathers truck actually got driven together 1 time. i always wanted everyone to go to a show together, but it never happened. our trucks were all driven together on the way to my grandfathers burial. hes the one who got me into vehicles and used to get upset with me when i owned anything but a chevy but loosened up over time. he had the wooden bed floor in his truck, and thats why i wanted to do mine similiar. i also wanted to paint mine the same as his, with a twist. i wanted blue metal flake, then the silver 2 tone, but have prizmatique(a fine rainbow like pearl) over the silver. but decided against the silver, i rather do a solid blue, but i think im gonna stick to a simliar blue that he had on his. the guy that painted my paps truck, is all about it. heres pics of his truck:

i had my buddy tig weld on the brackets for the brake line.heres a pic of what i did with the rear brakeline. i need another line with a 90 on the end for the rear end side. oh ya, also gotta give credit to seth at twistedminis. i first seen the brake line thing done by him and always loved the way it looked/performed. it was genious.

i yanked the rear end out and fully welded the tabs on.

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i really REALLY hope i can clear a stock hood. theres nothing that i love more than something bodied with a good sounding motor laid out with stock hood.

i messed with the wiring in the back of the truck, wired up my caddy tails and fuel pump just because i didnt really feel like welding/grinding. put the rear end back in and bolted on the wheels. i made of list of parts i gotta get while im out and about...

now that i have the motor out and the frame notched for headers, im gonna tear all the accessories off the motor and paint the block/tranny black. i think itll look good with all the billet/chrome.

heres the firewall:

motor pulled to notch for headers:

so i smoothed out the welds on the frame for the header notch. i also re bent the tube that connected the tanks together, it was out too far and the rear end bent it in. i also cut the tabs off for the upper bars, and made 4 new tabs to remount the bars. i also cut a hole in the firewall for the steering column to come thru. i have an aluminum heim looking firewall mounting piece for the column which i love. as for the wiring, its all done as far as the valves and the back. i have to yank one tank and weld an 1/8"NPT half coupling on it for the AVS digital guage sender. after i redo the bars, tank gets welded, and drill/tap mounting holes for all the tubing, then ill be ready to set the bed back on and start the sheetmetal work inside the bed. i may just pick up the 2 part panel glue alot of body shops use, so theres no warping. im just not sure yet. this weekend while the motor/tranny is out, im gonna put that damn lock up kit in the tranny, and repaint the block.

thats about up to date. i got one side welded on for the upper bars front mount. the tubing is 100% complete, other than im gettin new ss braided hoses for the front. i burned mine up kinda bad so im not chancin it. and im gettin a hose made for the power steering also.

·
Pewter member
2,513 Posts
:tup: ..keep going!

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Nice work, looking pretty good so far. I love the look of the old rangers body dropped and how much they tuck wheel.
Subscribed. And keep up the good work.
I agree - the old squared rangers are slick and look good customized....

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
ok will do from now on with the photobucket thing. i wondered why it went the way it did. if a mod wants to fix it, go for it.

ive been planning this truck out for about 3 years, and originally i was gonna do a 96 s10, then decided against it, went with a 93 isuzu pup, then finally stuck to this ranger. within them years, ive just been buyin parts here and there as i figured out exactly what i wanted. i wanted everything completely planned out, and just have everything and just build it. im pretty happy with it so far. just cant wait to get it done. i really want to take it to layd out at the park, if i can have it in primer and running, ill trailer it down. this motor really hasnt run in 5 years, other than a few 5 second start ups...

·
PAGING DR. ******!
7,371 Posts
Awesome man, I was just looking at this on RPS yesterday too. Love the frame. I'm doing hydros on my 88 ranger soon. 88 rangers for days here on S10forum.:tup:

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, whats funny is, when i bought it, they kept sayin its an 88, i found the title like a week ago, and its an 87. but since i already had a thread build with it bein an 88, i said f it and stick with that. lol

make a project thread on it sean, always like seein build ups of different vehicles. you ever see the 1gen ranger on 22s buildup on ssm? everything is built and designed, 0 degree camber when laid out. IRS, stock bed floor except where the wheels came thru. its sexy lol

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
very cool man! glad ya finally made a build thread for this thing over here! :tup:

only thing i hate is you mounted your bags the same way i've been planning to on my first gen. :haha:

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
allright, first things first. 2010 is the year of UNDERSLUNG FRAMES :cool:

the rims = LOVE THE FUKK OUT OF THEM!!!!! :kiss:

rangers = hate em but this build is fat-ass titties :boobies:

hardline = better than sex on prom night :bang:

your skills = you could (and should) be building the freedom towers :welder:

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
wow. thanks for all the feedback guys. i REALLY REALLY wanna have it in primer for world of wheels in pittsburgh, but i highly doubt ill get it that far by then.

ive always loved underslung frames and wanted to build one for some time. one of the guys in our club has a 98 ranger with underslung backhalf also.

as far as building anything important, im just a chubby white boy, ballin on a budget. lol

oh and the wheels, i LOVE a simple smooth 5 spoke wheel. i really wanted to do 20x8.5 kmc novas, but theyve become so common, i rather stick to an older discontinued wheel. i really want the Alba Blaze wheels in 20s...

also tonight i moved the upper bar mounts up some, made new mounts, im alot happier with them. i started drillin and tappin frame for supports for tubing. i would like to get the tappin done by tomorrow, so i can hopefully start tearing it down and start painting the frame. but well see.

·
sick & twisted
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
do it dave. dont be scurred. lol. hell, im not the first to do it, and surely wont be the last. i dont think theres too many things left to do, that havent already been done. :tup:

1 - 20 of 244 Posts