S-10 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Boozebag
9,142 Posts
Yo, gotta give you major credit...
You get it done. (I was going to use the worn out line, but meh)

Looks excellent!
I'm sure there's a Canadian or Northern States upull that can come up with nicer rear panels.
Can't win... It's either salt/rust or sun/heat bombed interiors.
(y)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yo, gotta give you major credit...
You get it done. (I was going to use the worn out line, but meh)

Looks excellent!
I'm sure there's a Canadian or Northern States upull that can come up with nicer rear panels.
Can't win... It's either salt/rust or sun/heat bombed interiors.
(y)
I won’t lie, the interior was done near the end of the summer. But I’ve been rolling out the progress in stages to save a ginormous first post lol. But I appreciate that either way, I try to not mess around.

You can’t win, considering the last new blazer was 2005, so we had lots of time for the nice stuff to get ruined lol! I will find something! Our yard where are filled with rotted 2 door 4x4’s, so it’s only a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Have you considered picking up a seat cushion from a passenger seat and swapping it in the driver's to firm that up? It's one of my favorite hacks in these trucks. You can also swap the seat back cushions if that is blown out too.

Another interior hack since you already have the power seats: The 2002ish and newer heated seats have the heating element separate from the leather cover. I swapped a set into the microfiber seats I had in my Hombre lol I think you should be able to swap the power/heat seat side panel with your power only panel to add the heated seat button and have that toasty bun feel.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Have you considered picking up a seat cushion from a passenger seat and swapping it in the driver's to firm that up? It's one of my favorite hacks in these trucks. You can also swap the seat back cushions if that is blown out too.

Another interior hack since you already have the power seats: The 2002ish and newer heated seats have the heating element separate from the leather cover. I swapped a set into the microfiber seats I had in my Hombre lol I think you should be able to swap the power/heat seat side panel with your power only panel to add the heated seat button and have that toasty bun feel.
I haven’t thought about that! That’s a good hack to know. This drivers seat feels fantastic, so if it ever wears out I’ll probably do that! I’d actually love to have heated seats. My lady’s Genesis has heated leather buckets, and they’re awesome. I don’t think I’ll be driving this in cold enough weather to make it it worth the swap TBH.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I haven’t thought about that! That’s a good hack to know. This drivers seat feels fantastic, so if it ever wears out I’ll probably do that! I’d actually love to have heated seats. My lady’s Genesis has heated leather buckets, and they’re awesome. I don’t think I’ll be driving this in cold enough weather to make it it worth the swap TBH.
I mentioned it because I saw the wrinkles in the seat cover bolster. That's usually a good indicator that the foam on the outside has been worn down at least to some degree.

The seats really aren't too hard to pull apart. Do it once or twice and you'll see why I make the suggestions I do. Like the rest of these trucks the seats are LEGOs. 🤣 I kinda chuckle at the guys who powerwash because I usually tear them apart and throw the covers in a front load washing machine and then dry halfway before putting back on the seat with replaced foam. With the air drying the shrink up a bit and get nice and snug to the foam. I understand the why of powerwashing them, so I don't mean to offend anyone. It's definitely quicker/easier than taking the covers off.

If you do pull the covers off it will be pretty obvious the worn spots on the foam. It's darker in color and definitely looks like it is tearing apart.

Also take your time when pulling the covers off the seat foam you want to keep. GM used strong velcro that holds the cover tight to the foam along the stitching on the seating surface. I've learned to make sure that I hold the velcro to the foam when pulling to keep it from pulling apart.

·
Hardhead
831 Posts
"Another interior hack since you already have the power seats: The 2002ish and newer heated seats have the heating element separate from the leather cover. I swapped a set into the microfiber seats I had in my Hombre lol I think you should be able to swap the power/heat seat side panel with your power only panel to add the heated seat button and have that toasty bun feel. "
That's a great hack Harley!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I mentioned it because I saw the wrinkles in the seat cover bolster. That's usually a good indicator that the foam on the outside has been worn down at least to some degree.

The seats really aren't too hard to pull apart. Do it once or twice and you'll see why I make the suggestions I do. Like the rest of these trucks the seats are LEGOs. 🤣 I kinda chuckle at the guys who powerwash because I usually tear them apart and throw the covers in a front load washing machine and then dry halfway before putting back on the seat with replaced foam. With the air drying the shrink up a bit and get nice and snug to the foam. I understand the why of powerwashing them, so I don't mean to offend anyone. It's definitely quicker/easier than taking the covers off.

If you do pull the covers off it will be pretty obvious the worn spots on the foam. It's darker in color and definitely looks like it is tearing apart.

Also take your time when pulling the covers off the seat foam you want to keep. GM used strong velcro that holds the cover tight to the foam along the stitching on the seating surface. I've learned to make sure that I hold the velcro to the foam when pulling to keep it from pulling apart.
Oh don’t worry, no offence taken here! I figured there was an easier way. That’s not a bad idea, I didn’t even think to pull the covers off honestly.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey guys! Heres a little look into the drivetrain ive got going into the blazer. This is an L33 5.3, which is a high output unit that features flat top pistons, 799 heads and a slightly hotter cam from factory. Behind it, is a Colorado 5 speed transmission known as the AR5.

Picked this up from TurboTyler, and took a roadtrip out to Ohio with my Dad to pick it up. Here it is fresh off the trailer, up on the stand. He cleaned it up before I picked it up, like a true gentleman. Swapped over my Holley 302-1 oil pan as well.

I hit it with some acidic wheel cleaner, which etches the aluminum to get rid of the corrosion. Came out great!

Heres the transmission. To use this behind an LS, it requires the use of an adapter plate, and a 4L60e bellhousing after some modification. This adapter plate came from Fabbot Fab.

I mocked up all the accessories with the Holley brackets. Im using an LS3 vette water pump and crank pulley, vette PS pump, sanden 508 compressor from holley, and the alternator is a 145a unit left over from the s10.

Theres nothing better than a pile full of shiny parts for your truck! Next post will be tear down, and 5.3 goodness!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's great to see that there are still some good build threads being composed. Blazer looks great. I love that color. My S10 is sandalwood so I love to see the more rare colors for sure.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
It's great to see that there are still some good build threads being composed. Blazer looks great. I love that color. My S10 is sandalwood so I love to see the more rare colors for sure.
I love being able to go back and read through and remember what i did! Haha.

This is one of my favourite s10 colours! So I’m glad this one worked out. Thanks!

·
Boozebag
9,142 Posts
Looks like Christmas is a little early this year...
Nice choice of power...
Nice parts corner too - Connor.... 😋

·
Hardhead
831 Posts
Since you're running the Colorado 5 speed will your shifter come out in the 2nd gen location or will it be different? What kind of mods had to be made to the bell housing? The piece in the center of the bell housing adapter, is that an adapter to locate the pilot bearing?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Since you're running the Colorado 5 speed will your shifter come out in the 2nd gen location or will it be different? What kind of mods had to be made to the bell housing? The piece in the center of the bell housing adapter, is that an adapter to locate the pilot bearing?
I’ll be covering the shifter position very shortly. I’m a little further ahead in real time then what I’ve posted about. Just hard to fit so much stuff in a single post! But it’s in the stock location, with a stock 5 speed Center console!

The bellhousing has to have 2 holes drilled for the clutch line and bleeder, and a little grinding out near the bottom to fit around the front cover of the transmission. That piece in the middle is a spacer for the slave cylinder. You use a stock, Colorado unit and that spacer fixes the spacing to work with an LS7 clutch in my case, or an LS1 clutch of your choice.

Fabbot has all this info on their website if you’re interested, including tutorial videos on YouTube on the modifications and install of the parts to your AR5

41 - 60 of 73 Posts