S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
desertpatriot
201 Posts
any plans for upgrading/installing...
-the steering wheel? i'm thinking about installing a wheel from a cadillac (loaded with lotsa button goodies) onto my 2000 S10.
-the interior light switch
-backup cameras

·
Old Fart
3,222 Posts
A backup camera is one of the best things you can add. I got spoiled driving the wife's car with backup camera and a lot of other modern high tech goodies so I replaced my factory S10 radio with a Kenwood with backup camera and navigation and I love it. I just added the optional dashcam in case I need proof when one of the idiot drivers around here does something I can't avoid.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
any plans for upgrading/installing...
-the steering wheel? i'm thinking about installing a wheel from a cadillac (loaded with lotsa button goodies) onto my 2000 S10.
-the interior light switch
-backup cameras
Ill be using the Forever Sharp wheel I had in my previous truck. The air bag light will be defeated with a resistor. No buttons for me, lol. Ill post this in the blazer once I have it installed, along with other interior pictures.

Im not a fan of aftermarket back up camera, they look bulky and kind of mess up the cleanliness of the exterior in the rear. My lady's car has one from the factory, and I love it. But I wouldnt consider putting one in the blazer.

·
Old Fart
3,222 Posts
Ill be using the Forever Sharp wheel I had in my previous truck. The air bag light will be defeated with a resistor. No buttons for me, lol. Ill post this in the blazer once I have it installed, along with other interior pictures.

Im not a fan of aftermarket back up camera, they look bulky and kind of mess up the cleanliness of the exterior in the rear. My lady's car has one from the factory, and I love it. But I wouldnt consider putting one in the blazer.
I don't think mine looks too bad, most people don't even notice it.

·
Old Fart
3,222 Posts
Thats actually not bad at all. Just not for me!
Yeah, I would prefer hidden like on the wife's car. It is under the emblem and flips up when in reverse so not only do you not see it, the lens stays clean when the roads get sloppy.

·
Old Fart
3,222 Posts
I wear glasses and my depth perception is not that good at night and combined with my black truck I need all the help I can get when backing into a parking space at night. Mo's old eyes must be a lot better than mine evidently. 🤣

39,696 Posts
I should have said 'some' or 'most' people. My post was more directed towards the people that are too preoccupied to use turn signals, or look in the mirrors, or look around in addition to using the back up camera, follow basic traffic laws, that need blind spot detectors and proximity sensors so that they don't Toonces the cat off of a cliff etc... Which by my calculations is about 99.97% of people.

·
Old Fart
3,222 Posts
I don't think the percentage is that high but you are very close! 🤣

·
Registered
75 Posts
What a good looking blazer. Good job on finding such a nice one and putting more love into it. I wish I would have held out a little longer for a truck with cleaner paint but oh well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What a good looking blazer. Good job on finding such a nice one and putting more love into it. I wish I would have held out a little longer for a truck with cleaner paint but oh well.
Thanks! It took a whole weekend to get the paint buffed up. It’s got its flaws but it’s all original which is hard to come by. I really lucked out with this one. Can’t have perfect paint, because then you don’t want to take it anywhere to get messed up! Lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
true that. Unfortunately my trucks previous owner was a ding dong and used tape to tape a cardboard cover on the bed to move from Idaho, he never cleaned off the tape and it ate right through the paint so my truck has some pretty large flaws, I don’t see the point in repainting it because if you go cheap it looks like crap and if you spend the money on a nice paint job then you have to not enjoy the truck because your worried about getting scratches so it’s a catch 22.

·
Old Fart
3,222 Posts
true that. Unfortunately my trucks previous owner was a ding dong and used tape to tape a cardboard cover on the bed to move from Idaho, he never cleaned off the tape and it ate right through the paint so my truck has some pretty large flaws, I don’t see the point in repainting it because if you go cheap it looks like crap and if you spend the money on a nice paint job then you have to not enjoy the truck because your worried about getting scratches so it’s a catch 22.
Plus a nice paint job costs more than the truck is worth. The estimate for paining just the cab, hood and fenders on mine was more than I paid for the truck. Mine had been keyed on the driver's side has lots of rock chips and a crappy repaint and bodywork on the passenger's side. The roof and hood are cracking as well so I'm doing a little at a time, did the roof last winter and going to try and do some more this winter if the engine swap budget allows. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well you can’t tell from the pics lol. Looks really clean, every vehicle has its flaws, these trucks are 20ish years old now. I bought my step side reg cab because that was the body configuration I had my heart really set on so besides the flaws I’m super happy with the truck. Now just gotta get everything to put my little 4.8l and nv3500 in it. Should make it allot more fun to drive. Car stuff adds up quick though. Probably my least favorite part about building cars is killing my wallet.

·
Boozebag
9,142 Posts
Paint... Sore subject...
I've got an 85 TVR 280i.
Filled it up on a hot day and fuel overflowed onto the paint. Didn't see it.
Almost perfect paint now bombed.
Can't keep anything nice.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Here's a photo dump of my interior swap. The blazer used to have an awful, dirty, cracked, sun baked, brittle and smoked in interior that I just couldn't live with. I replaced every piece inside with graphite ones. Everything was sourced from junkyards, and everything cleaned up really well. Pressure washed the carpets, and seats and they came out almost new! I swear the back seat was folded down its whole life, it looks brand new. The front seats came from a yard in Indiana, and with the help of friends they found their way back here to Ontario. The drivers seat is power as well, and the wiring was all available under the carpet for a plug n play swap. Envoy handles ive had hanging around for ages, so I threw those in as well. I put a bunch of sound deadening down while the carpet was out and it made a massive difference. While the side panels were out i installed a set of 6.5" JL CX650's, to replace the 6x9's. Enough talking, here are the photos.

Perks of Canada, perfect crack free non faded double din dash! It was originally a double din and didnt want to give that up.

Minty rear seat after pressure washing

New seats with a power drivers. 2 door graphite headliner, no overhead console, no sunroof, surprisingly hard to find

Full carpet BEFORE pressure washing. Turned out amazing.

Rear side panels. Not perfect but the best I could find. The tailgate panel is not the best so im in the market for a better one.

Vinyl + microfibre power door panels. My favourite combo, but I wish the bottom was carpeted.

Headliner in, as well as all the carpet and seats.

30 minute dash pull

New dash, with proper metric cluster, rear wiper switch delete plate, and ash tray delete

So happy with how this came out. Nice and clean, smells great, and its a fine example of my second favourite S series dash, close second to my 94 dash.

This brings us to date as far as modifications are concerned. Next ill be posting more about the engine swap, and the bits and bobs that comes with it.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts