S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my daughter came up with the name for the truck this weekend

Lucky 13

Her and I were talking about what color to paint it, and she said we should name it. So I asked her what she wanted to call it, and she first said Big Daddy. I said, "it's a mini-truck, you can't call it "big". So she sat back and was quiet for about 5 minutes and then she pops up and goes, Lucky 13!!! Like your favorite shirt! (I got a Lucky 13 garage shirt).
I first thought that was pretty cool, and then she asked how many trucks have I had, so we started counting all the trucks I have had since I was 16, and the wierd thing is, this truck makes - (drum roll please)

13!

So the her name works out pretty well.
On to the truck.

1986 2.5L Iron Duke with 114,000 miles.
here is what I am starting with.

I replaced the mirrors with new stock mirrors, as the others were junk.
This last weekend, I hit the junkyard and got blazer bucket seats, a rear bumper from a blazer, kick panels, chrome trim rings for the wheels, belt weatherstrips for the windows, and a complete dash. Unfortunately, the day got away from me, so all I could "install" was the trim rings and the weatherstrips.
Saturday - a friend and I took 5 hours and really cleaned it. I washed it, and then picked up one of the decal eraser wheels for a drill and removed the 1 inch blue pinstripe. It came off pretty good, but after 24 years, it seems "burned" into the paint. The only thing I can do at this point is paint the truck I think. I was thinking some 1500 sandpaper might take it off, but it is pretty light, so I don't know if I will mess with it. We buffed and waxed it, and it looks like a different truck. When I pulled into my driveway, my wife thought I had traded it for another dime

Pics of the old hubcaps

after removing the pinstripe, washing, buffing, waxing, replacing the hubcaps with the rings.

The front bumper is bent - I am replacing with a chrome bumper. Also looking to replace the grill. The previous owner had a snap tonneau, and as you can see the snaps are on the bed. I need to get those removed and filled. I got a friend that says he can do it, but I am hoping he can teach me how to do it instead of just doing it himself. There are a few spots that need fixed before I could consider painting - you can see the spot on the edge of the drivers door below handle. Like someone opened the door into a gas pump or something.
There is a deep scratch on the roof, and on the upper passenger cab corner, it looks like a tree limb hit it and it is dented in a little. The hood has the spot above the passenger side headlight, and the paint in the hood channel on the passenger side is gone. Other than those, the sheet metal is relatively scratch and dent free. (Keep it mind, this is a 1986 truck. Not bad for 24 years old).

The door panels look to be in good shape, so I might try the vinyl dye/paint. The bench seat will be replaced with the blazer buckets, and I will replace the blue carpet eventually. None of that will happen until I am ready to have it painted, since the inside metal is blue as well.
Chrome wheelwell trim will go.

I kinda want to go a different direction with the interior, so if anyone is interested in the 1st gen blazer buckets, I will consider selling. They are in GREAT shape, and the lumbar support thing works great.

anyway - there is the start of Project Lucky 13.

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
i have seen alot of older trucks that are pretty beat up, you have a nice little gem on your hands, um i mean you and your daughter have a gem on your hands. keep up the updates and definately share her imput as well. sounds like she has a gnack for whats cool.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks slappy - it isn't a bad starter at all.
Added bonus, it runs good. I got a hole in the cat, so I will replace that with a pipe, but other than that, she runs good and has HEAT and AIR.

side note, what am I doing wrong that the pics post a link instead of the actual pic?

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
let me try this again then

I was just right clicking, properties, and copying pasting...it worked when I used the link, and didn't click the little "add pic" button on the thread posting.

SUCCESS

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found the front bumper and grill, which is on the way. I am now contemplating selling the one piece grill and doing a billet in the middle with chrome headlight surrounds. I have also found taillights with the chrome around them instead of black for $25 for the pair, and they are on the way as well.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interior yesterday -

interior today -

I removed the blue carpet, which appears to be aftermarket because underneath it was a black mat like you would find on a work truck. I don't know if that is standard or what, but either way, the black mat looks better than the nasty azz blue carpet.

I pulled the mat back so you could see the floor pan - and I must say they are freaking immaculate. Just some very very very minor surface rust.
Driver side -

Passenger side -

black floor mat-

what the previous owner left me :) -

from the back -

I know it is a little off, but it isn't much. I still have one bolt left and some washers to help even it up. Plus I have to pull the bolts I added to put some bigger washers on it. I was anxious to get them in, and I didn't have big enough washers when I started. It's functional though, so I am happy.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live near the quick trip in Godfrey

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice find man, looks really good.
Can't wait to see how she turns out.

·
Roadrunner=Chicken
12,816 Posts
Wow, what a soild truck. Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jamal,

Very nice, I like your taste. Yours is the GMC twin of mine except I have the 2.8L with automatic. Otherwise, it is the same right down to the rubber mat.

How did you mount your seats? I'm guessing there is only one set of holes on each side? I want to do the same once I can find some seats.

David

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
txranger - u are correct, only 2 holes on each. To mount the seats, I took a piece of cardboard and made a template of where the holes were on the brackets. then I lined them up and drilled 4 new holes. Add some bolts and washers and that was it.
I had to build the seats up a little using the washers to 1, make the seat even, and 2, to lift the seat up some. The mechanism on the side that allows the bucket to recline was hitting where the seat belt retracts and when I would sit in the seat, the added weight would make it so the seat belt would stick and not pull out or retract. Building it up about 1/8 of an inch allowed the seat belt to move freely.

I also robbed a gray dash from the blazer to swap into the truck, but I might go a different direction when that time comes.
The end plan is a clean mild show truck that is reliable enough to be a daily driver. I have no intentions of a trailer queen. Besides, having 2 kids limits the funds I can drop into it. I might have to sell my motorcycle if I want to see this done anytime in the next 2 years.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok - no work has been done because I have no garage and there is 5" of snow on the ground, but I have been acquiring items for the drop.

I have purchased:
front - 3" drop coils, 2" drop spindles
rear - 3" drop leafs

new drop shocks all around. Still need 2" rear drop blocks for a 5/5 total drop. Might go 5/6, but I want to see what it looks like first.
Also bought the newer style ZQ8's. Once this weather has passed, or someone offers up a garage, I will lower this bee-otch and get the wheels on.

I also have to fix a brake line that has a hole in it and the cat. coverter needs removed and a straight pipe put in place. Again, both items that can't be fixed laying in 6 inches of snow in a driveway.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this weekend my good friend Switches and I did a few things...
1 - removed the catalytic converter and replaced with a straight pipe. One of the plugs had popped out and it was very loud. Now it sounds MUCH better. He is a good welder.
2 - Rear drum brake kit. Wheel cyclinders were not good, so replaced those and the springs. Switches turned the rotors at O'Reilly's because the guys there didn't know how - and I didn't have to pay since we, or rather Switches, did the work. Sweet.
3 - I cut the lip off the ZQ8's and threw them on.

Still need to repair the rear brake lines, we just ran out of time.

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry for the crappy cell phone pics - didn't have enough light when I went to work and the digital camera battery is dead

·
"Phat"boy
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
better pic with the center caps on

·
Registered
849 Posts
Nice truck!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.