S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh look another LSx project.

LST10 is my project name, and it's my alternative to buying a RWD "tuner" like a supra or the AWD goodness that is the Dodge stealth R/T

what its going to be is a fun to drive Gen one V8 DD
Complete sleeper with very few exterior mods
Proposed ~ Price
Vortec 5300 ~ $4-700
NV3500 ~ $????
Ford explorer 8.8~ $????
Caprice "tall" Spindles ~ $???
Spohn Upper/lower control arms ~ $700
Kore3 Z06 Big brake kit ~ $1,472
Rear Disc brakes ???? ~ $????
Four 18x9.5 Z06 Wheels with 275x35 Falken FK452 tires ~ $848
Energy Suspension body mounts ~ $73
Rollpan ~ $85.00
Procar Sportsman Pro seats ~ $388
Grand Corsa steering wheel ~ $212
Bravada Grille ~ $150
Swap parts ~ $500+

"Update":
Engine and trans will probably be Sauced from LSx4u up in Maine.
gonna call them today and see what they can do for a 5.3, NV3500 and Standalone "kit".
since I found out this morning my truck is loosing coolant without a leak OR smoke/steam in the exhaust. only hint is a half empty radiator and white smoke/steam coming out of the Throttle body after it's been running.

Random:
The color is going to be Midnight blue with like a indigo pearl or something to make it "sparkle"
OR if I can find it in the US it will be Indigo-purple Chameleon But I only found it in the UK, since it is used on the TVR tuscan
the interior will be accented with EL wire.
Also already have a USB port wired up I just need to soldier it, cut a hole and glue it in.

DONE:
kind of a impulse buy was a Pioneer audio system which is just A-series speakers and a X3500UI head unit
which I must say sounds WONDERFUL, just really lacks in the bass department, and that is where Two TS-W259D4 come in, as soon as I figure out exactly how going to fit them in the cab

^^ Ghetto 4" speakers ^^ went with stock 4x6 on the front

Before:
Here are the Before shots.

Some of them look good others don't.. I was switching between Clearshot HDR and my Manual settings.

NOTE:
I will keep this thread up dated through out the build with pics and "info" of everything I do to it.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PICTURE HEAVY UPDATE!

Acquired a LR4 & 4l60e from a wrecked 2000 Silverado

As far as I can tell it's all there except for a MAF and intake tube..

after someone on another site made the comment that it looked as though it had been sitting outside for a long time it got me a little worried I might have an engine that is full of rust. so I decided might as well take a look at the easy access areas.

Pulled the driver side valve cover

looks decent for a 13 year old engine with 160k miles. I THINK
Only bit that worried me here was a strong varnish smell....but the oil is still.......oily.

also pulled the exhaust manifolds since I won't be needing them
and peaked inside the exhaust ports

This I'm not sure it's a good sign or bad

crappy look inside the intake

And the small pile of stuff that will not be used in the swap *AC mount not shown

Could not pass this up at the salvage yard. going to TRY an make it work with the 4.8l

I'm looking at about $800-1000 in additional parts..
trying to make a mid-late April completion date.

Then comes the expensive crap.

*I guess this probably belongs in the LSX section?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Looking forward to see how it progresses. Couldn't live without a/c here. Someone sent me some info a while back about using a modified a/c bracket from a 1st gen 4.3 engine that will line up- I'll see if I can find it and pass it on.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Gotcha. I'm originally from Columbus-your summers don't last all year like here. Anyways, will look forward to seeing how it turns out. Still gathering parts and info for a similar project while I restore my truck, so I'm keenly interested in how it goes. Best of luck!

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really an update BUT.
I've got a "new" steering shaft from a Jeep Cherokee.
and a MAF from a 2000+ 4.3l Blazer ~ as far as I know they are the same from the 4.3 up

Annnnd I just ordered a pair of Racing innovation headers, trying to decide if I want to order the H3 oil pan, Radiator or Fuel pump first
*thinking a Aeromotive with hotwire

And I've still got to get the plug out of the Transmission so I can start chopping up the harness.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered the H3 Alpha pan from CPW last night and it will be here on the 29th
my headers SHOULD be at my old house since RI screwed up the shipping and billing address. So I need to go get those.

And this weekend I'm going to get a new soldering iron, flux, heat shrink, a few rolls of electrical tape, and some Split loom stuff.... and of course Solder
Try to tackle the harness in a weekend.

Might order a new pump and get it installed so I can go a Ghetto start up using the old fuel pump

nice. pretty much same direction im going with my swap. nice to see someone my age doing a swap, boosts my confidence :D
Hell yeah man, more "kids" need to take pride in this kind of stuff.
Not like a Honda B18 or JDM swaps.
This sort of thing is really not that hard, just tedious and time consuming :rolleyes:

Post a link or something if you've got a thread ^_^

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
yeah man same here. my build is in my sig. you have any plans for the motor or you just gonna drop it in as is? personally i would keep stock bottom end but i would throw in a new set of lifters and a timing chain, maybe a cam since the motors out:) my motors done just waiting for tax return so i can really get "nitty gritty" with ordering the other parts lol

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hah wow I derped and did not even notice that. Looks nice.

Eh, for the engine the only thing I'm going before I throw it in the truck is swapping the oil pan and putting the headers on. other than that. I don't have the money to do anything to it *yet.
Although in a year or so I thinking a complete engine overhaul with "LS" parts.

Aye, I feel ya' my tax return is going to pay for the rest of what I need to do this "hack'N swap"

Once I get the cash and all the parts I'm going to try to finish the engine swap over a long weekend....Genius I know but this is my DD and is going to continue to be my DD

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small update

got my sexy headers

Test fit to see what they look like

No picture but I ripped out the old steering shaft and put in one from a Cherokee.
it was a direct swap. no cutting, no bending, no grinding nothing.
tightened up the steering a little bit. not I just need to rebuild the front-end with poly bushing and what not to get it nice and tight.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small Update...
Fuel system came in today... all $400 worth of it.
Plus a K&N oil filter.

The fuel rail fittings are not shown because I already got them put on the engine..
The wait is just KILLING ME!

Radiator will be here Monday, I just ordered the Engine mounts from S10V8
gonna try to get a shifter/console Friday...or at LEAST a shifter so I can try to get started on this swap in March.

·
Nightmare
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Radiator came in today... a lot shinier than I thought it would be....

And I get to go to the salvage yard Tomorrow morning since I dicked up when I put the new steering shaft in and lot the top bolt and tried to use the wrong bolt....and well it kinda didn't work and I can't drive my truck safely.

So the shifter which I'll get tomorrow, wiring/PCM are all I need to get the engine in a running.
*and oils/fluids O2 sensors and tools*
I'm also going to go ahead and spend the $60 for Stage 8 header & collector bolts.

My mom says she's got a friend who can/will help with the wiring harness and do the PCM for me.

And Random picture. Waiting on someone I decided to play with my radio...and match the colors to the dash.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
:)thats sweet bro!. im glad to see someone that feels the same way about A/C AS I DO lol. you might aswell grab a heat only HVAC box while your at the JY. WHERE DID YOU GET the radiator?

·
Oaktown Trucks
2,875 Posts
Nice start man. One thing I noticed was missing off your price list. Exhaust.

Also, I don't know what the laws are in OH but I had to do a little hunting to find someone that would install an aftermarket exhaust. A lot of shops said they can't touch my truck, since it had headers and no cat.

1 - 20 of 380 Posts