S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 688 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm a couple months behind on getting this build thread started, but that's mostly because I didn't know I would be joining the S10 forum until recently. More on that later. I'm going to let this thread play out the way it happened in real life. Full disclosure; This is my second attempt at a build thread for this vehicle. Long story...

Previous vehicle was a 2000 Grand Prix GTP. I cut my teeth modifying and upgrading that thing. Smaller pulley, headers, high ratio rockers, bigger injectors, E85, tune... All the common stuff. Had it making pretty good power too, which isn't difficult. That supercharged 3800 is a beast. Unfortunately, the transmission is made of glass. Every time I took it out and really hammered on it, I ran the risk of breaking an input shaft, or chain. Decided to cut my losses on that thing and move on to something different.

That something different would be anything LS powered, and rear wheel drive. However, married life and raising kids really limits the possibilities. I knew if I wanted a RWD LS vehicle, I would have to build it myself on a tight budget.

So, I started trolling craigslist for a swapable vehicle, or engine to get me started. Found the drive train first. A 6.0 and 4l80e out a 2002 2500HD Silverado. Paid $1600 cash for the complete truck. Pulled the motor, trans, t-case and some other odds and ends, then sold the shell for $1250. Later, I sold the t-case for $500. If you're keeping score, that's a positive $150 total for my LQ4 drop out. Lot's of hard work to get to that point though.

As it arrived from the tow truck:

Many days later:

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Always excited at the thought of a new project. Any thoughts on what to put that 6.0 into?

I'm just at the end of the gathering stage on my latest project, also an LQ4 out of a 2003HD I picked up for $1000, seems to be a theme here LOL.

I'll be keeping an eye on your build.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always excited at the thought of a new project. Any thoughts on what to put that 6.0 into?
Yup. You beat me to it. Ha! The reason I joined the S10 forum. The whole time I was messing with the maroon truck, I continued to troll craigslist, waiting for the perfect swap vehicle. Then one day it showed up. The perfect vehicle. A 1997 RCSB S10. Got it for $1000 do to a knocky engine.

The body is in really decent shape. The ding in the right bed side is the only thing that stands out to me.

Also broke down the RPO codes. Looks like it was originally a fleet vehicle. About as plain and basic as they come.

AJ1 - WINDOW TINTED, DEEP, ALL EXCEPT W/S AND DRS
A52 - SEAT, FRT BENCH
BG9 - COVERING FLOOR, RUBBER
BI6 - FLEET INCENTIVE SCHINDLER ELEVATOR CORPORATION (C/G/H/J/L/N/U/W- TRK-CKGMST)
BQ3 - FLEET PROGRAM MAJOR FLEET ACCOUNTS (C/D/E/F/H/J/K/L/N/U/W/Y-TRK CKGMPST)
C5D - GVW RATING, 4600 LBS
C60 - HVAC SYSTEM, AIR CONDITIONER FRT MAN CONTROLS
D44 - MIRROR O/S, PAINTED
E63 - BODY EQUIPMENT, FLEETSIDE, PUBX
FE9 - CERTIFICATION, EMISSION, FEDERAL
FLT - Sales Processing Option
GU4 - AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
JM3 - BOOSTER, BRAKE, 240MM TANDEM, HIGH FLOW
LF6 - ENGINE, GAS, 6cyl, 4.3L, SFI
M30 - TRANSMISSION, AUTO 4 SPD, HMD, 4L60E, ELECTRONIC
NB8 - EMISSION OVERRIDE, CALIFORNIA SYSTEM
NF2 - EMISSION SYSTEM, FEDERAL, TIER 1
N40 - STEERING, POWER, NON-VARIABLE RATIO
PH1 - WHEEL, 15 X 7, STEEL
QCE - TIRE ALL, P205/75R15/N BL R/PE ST TL ALS
SLA - PLANT CODE SHREVEPORT, LA, USA
TFD - SALES INCENTIVE RETAIL AMENITIES - DELETE
T61 - LIGHTING, DAYTIME RUNNING
UM7 - RADIO, AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, CLOCK, ETR (BASE ON ALL MODELS)
UP8 - STEREO RADIO INSTALLMENT PROVISIONS
UY7 - WIRING HARNESS, TRUCK TRAILER HD
U73 - ANTENNA, FIXED, RADIO
VF6 - BUMPER, RR, STEP
VP6 - NOISE CONTROL
VQ1 - FLEET PROGRAM DEALER ASSISTANCE, WITH HOLDBACK
VXS - VEHICLE COMPLETE
VX5 - FLEET PROGRAM CASH ALLOWANCE
V73 - VEHICLE STATEMENT, USA/CANADA
XCE - TIRE FRONT P205/75R15/N BL R/PE ST TL ALS
X88 - CONVERSION NAME PLATE CHEVROLET
YCE - TIRE REAR P205/75R15/N BL R/PE ST TL ALS
YD3 - FRONT AXLE, BASE EQUIPMENT FOR SCHEDULING, GVW PLATE
YD5 - SPRING FRONT BASE EQUIPMENT
YD6 - REAR SPRING, BASE EQUIPMENT
ZAA - TIRE SPARE, COMPACT
ZV1 - STATEMENT OF ORIGIN MANUFACTURE
ZY1 - COLOR COMBINATION, SOLID
Z85 - CHASSIS PACKAGE, HIGH PAYLOAD FIRM RIDE
1SA - OPTION PACKAGE 01
1SZ - 35666 P DISCOUNT OPTION PACKAGE 890410 P 1 E A
13I - INTERIOR TRIM, LT SMOKE GRAY (91)
13W - TRIM COMBINATION, VINYL, LT GRAY (W)
50U - PRIMARY COLOR, EXTERIOR BLUE WHITE (91)
6MR - COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6MR)
7MR - COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7MR)
13W - TRIM COMBINATION, VINYL, LT GRAY (W)

·
Boozebag
9,038 Posts
Nice start...
I seem to remember seeing a "kit" to install the LS into these trux.. oil pan, mounts, headers etc...
It's surprising how quick the $$ add up doing these swaps...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a clean body, and a steal of a price for the whole 6.0L with a truck attached!
For sure. I've lucked into some pretty good deals so far. Being a good negotiator helps too!

Nice start...
I seem to remember seeing a "kit" to install the LS into these trux.. oil pan, mounts, headers etc...
It's surprising how quick the $$ add up doing these swaps...
I'm leaning toward the BRP Hotrods kit. Kinda pricey for what it is, but they claim everything fits/clears if you use the LH8 oil pan and smaller PS pump pulley. Just going to have to notch the frame for the AC compressor. I'll do whatever it takes to keep the AC! Been doing a lot of "horse trading" in an effort to keep costs down.

Looks like a cool project.
Thanks! I've wanted a V8 S10 for a LONG time. I'm actually looking forward to the wiring and re-pinning the PCM to work with the combination of the truck and engine harness. I like that stuff.

The body on that truck is really in good shape. That is a really good starting point for a project.
It looks awesome from 10-15 yards. Any closer and you start to see all the little dings and scratches. Nothing really bad though, considering the age of the truck. The bed is pretty tore up, but like I say, a cheap tonneau cover will take care of that. I'm at the point in my life where I don't want to own anything that looks too nice. I don't want to stress over stray shopping carts and kids on bikes.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once I found a home for that big 6.0 and 80e, I got back to prepping the engine. Here's a slew of pictures in the order it happened...

Tear down, clean up

So dirty

Turns out, the block heater plug just pulls off. Who knew?!

Pressure washing in a thunder/lightening storm. The wife was not impressed. I reminded her that I'm insured. She took little comfort.

Much better. And because it's an engine from the southwest; no corrosion!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went with the cheap ebay headers. Long term plan is to go turbo, so I didn't want to spend big dollars on a set of long tubes.

Factory wire fail

Some $35 8mm Taylor wires fit the bill

Good enough

And that pretty much brings things up to date on the engine

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hit the Pick-a-part. Grabbed this little gem. Not really ready for it yet, but work is slow right now and rumored to be getting really busy in the near future. Not sure when I'll have the time to get back out there. So I went for it. $150 out the door, but I worked my butt off to get it out. I was going to swap out the driver side axle for a shorter passenger side axle from another unit, but I ran out of gumption.

Got the other axle the next day. 15 minutes start to finish. Amazing how much more efficient your work is when you're not exhausted and can actually think straight. Under $40 out the door.

Also stopped and talked to a driveshaft guy and rear end guy. Sounds like I should be around $200 for a driveshaft if I bring him a stock one to modify, vs building one from scratch. Rear end guy said $100 flat to shorten the 8.8 if I brought an empty housing and all he had to do was cut, fixture, and weld. For $100, I'm not going to mess with it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 688 Posts