S-10 Forum banner

441 - 450 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #441
A week or so before the Canadian Thanksgiving I was visiting my neighbor, who is also a car guy. He gave me his old drag radial take-offs from one of his race cars. They were near end of life but good enough for me.

Mounted them on an unused set of Z28 rims.

Installed. Completely changed the look of the truck.

Thanksgiving weekend I went to the track to see whats what. First hit down the track with my brother riding in the passenger seat, I beat by personal best. Then, I was politely (because Canada) asked to wear a helmet and ditch the passenger, Sorry Kev.

Managed to do 9 passes that night. Learned a lot about using drag radials & how long it takes to heat them to make em stick. Took 4 tenths off my personal best with no other changes then the drag radials. Best time to date is 13.60 ET @ 102 MPH.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Welp, I have been invited to show my truck at Motorama this year. Motorama Custom Car & Motorsports Expo Should be really interesting, will be my first indoor show. Almost everything is lined up, so stay tuned for progress updates as I get prepared.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Terribletrux,
I didn't go though all your 23 pages of post. That thing is a beast!! Does it still have the Cab cage in it? Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
No, I no longer have the cage. I took it out a long long time ago. One of the PO's before me thought it was safe to build a cage out of fence post tubing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
No, I no longer have the cage. I took it out a long long time ago. One of the PO's before me thought it was safe to build a cage out of fence post tubing.
Oh gotcha..Well I was going to say that cage looked very unsafe. I saw all the bends next to the seats and such..Bends like that do not work well in a cage. You want to limit the bends and the degree. Gussets and cross tubes are your friend You want to limit and bends and dead tubes.. Holy ****, fence tubing???FAIL!!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Holy ****, fence tubing???FAIL!!!!
Yeah, super safe o_O. The bends were done with a compression bender, so they looked like exhaust with the wrinkles on the inside radius.

·
Hardhead
869 Posts
Installed under hood insulation.

Everything went smooth until I cut out the holes in the insulation to keep the cowl hood functional.

The insulation now sags slightly around the cut out. I'm afraid that with the hood closed any air moving through said holes will catch the insulation and pull it further away from the hood structure possibly ripping it.

I'm looking for ideas on how to attach the insulation to the hood around the opening. I've tried wire loom, some small plastic clips, black hockey tape, old window molding. Everything I have tried either doesn't stick to the insulation or looks like ass. Looking for ideas... HELP!!
They used to make stuff for covering pinch welds that might work there.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #449 (Edited)
I have tired something similar. Its hard to push the rubber covering over the fabric insulation, it just wants to bunch up and not slide in.

I was thinking of making a ring that follows the same shape as the openings. With some nutcerts, I could fasten the ring in place, clamping the insulation in between.

·
Hardhead
869 Posts
I have tired something similar. Its hard to push the rubber covering over the fabric insulation, it just wants to bunch up and not slide in.

I was thinking of making a ring that follows the same shape as the openings. With some nutcerts, I could fasten the ring in place, clamping the insulation in between.
It may work easier for you if you push that insulation down in front of the pinch weld with a drywall putty knife. The pinch weld protector can be opened up prior to installation and then pushed back together.

441 - 450 of 450 Posts